Product Designer – New Grad
Posted on 10/11/2023
Software for human-driven analysis of real-world data
Palantir is committed to helping organizations get value out of their data while protecting sensitive information from misuse and abuse.
Data & Analytics
Industrial & Manufacturing
Growth & Insights
6 month growth↓ -1%
1 year growth↓ -1%
2 year growth↑ 26%
New York, NY, USA
UI/UX & Design
- Willingness to obtain a US Security clearance
- Portfolio demonstrating at least one software interface design project
- Interaction and visual design
- User research
- Deliver and communicate designs in close collaboration
- Awareness of how software interfaces are built
A World-Changing Company
Palantir builds the world’s leading software for data-driven decisions and operations. By bringing the right data to the people who need it, our platforms empower our partners to develop lifesaving drugs, forecast supply chain disruptions, locate missing children, and more.
The Palantir Design Team is responsible for the human experience of using our software. Our team is growing rapidly, but we’re committed to creating a tight-knit team environment that fosters trust, integrity, empathy, and growth. We work together in realizing a shared product vision, and regularly give feedback and critique to each other.
Designing at Palantir is a varied experience. On a given day, you might be: leading a design sprint for your product team; designing a micro-interaction to make a sophisticated analytical task feel simple; and/or advocating for UX consistency by creating flexible, reusable UI components.
Designers at Palantir develop a deep understanding of the problems our customers face while solving some of the world’s unique challenges. Our mission is to build generalizable and scalable solutions that elegantly handle the complexity of these problem spaces.
- Interaction and visual design. As a product designer, you’ll be involved at every stage of design work. You’ll help define early product concepts, flesh out the high-level workflow and micro-interactions of a feature, and complete a streamlined and effective visual design. You will be designing and prototyping using tools such as Figma.
- User research. We conduct frequent informal user research and value people who understand research processes and methodologies to achieve the right outcome. You’ll often visit customer offices to interview and learn from the users we serve. You’ll pair qualitative methods (e.g. scripted usability tests and contextual inquiry) with quantitative information, like product and usage metrics.
- Deliver and communicate designs in close collaboration. We work closely with a variety of partners (e.g., engineers, product managers, technical program managers) to realize our design ideas and communicate your design rationale. To reach these audiences, you’ll communicate your designs through a variety of methods: communicating your mockups, making prototypes, sharing a design spec.
- Designers at Palantir have phenomenal autonomy over their work, so a wide skills is vital. However, many designers on the team are also passionate guides in one area. You might be the kind of designer who ships code every week, or the kind of designer who shares detailed user research findings with your team.
What We Value
- An iterative design process. You validate your ideas early (with collaborators and users) and are thoughtful and intentional in seeking and responding to feedback. You move fast, listen, and adapt. You rapidly incorporate feedback, and prioritize collaboration. You are adept at giving and receiving critiques.
- Thoughtful, intentional work. You know that form advises function and usability—that the surface layer doesn’t exist in a vacuum. Your design decisions are often advised by—and will influence—engineering and business considerations.
- Dedication to the user. You’ll design software that changes how people use data in government, commercial, and philanthropic contexts. You strive to understand our users—who can range from a manufacturing plant worker to a pharmaceutical researcher—and fight to empower them.
- Excitement for solving hard, sophisticated problems. You are excited to design for technically sophisticated and data dense interfaces. You thrive in an environment where you can jump into deep subject matter expertise to define simple, approachable, yet still powerful product experiences.
What We Require
- Willingness to obtain a US Security clearance.
- A portfolio demonstrating at least one software interface design project. If parts of your portfolio are password-protected, please include your portfolio password under ’Additional Information’ when applying.
Our benefits aim to promote health and wellbeing across all areas of Palantirians’ lives. We work to continuously improve our offerings and listen to our community as we design and update them. The list below details our available benefits and some of the perks that can be enjoyed as an employee of Palantir Technologies.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Life and disability coverage
- Paid leave for new parents and emergency back-up care for all parents
- Family planning support, including fertility, adoption, and surrogacy assistance
- Stipend to help with expenses that come with a new child
- Commuter benefits
- Relocation assistance
- Unlimited paid time off
- 2 weeks paid time off built into the end of each year
The estimated salary range for this position is estimated to be $105,000 - $135,000/year. Total compensation for this position may also include Restricted Stock units, sign-on bonus and other potential future incentives. Further note that total compensation for this position will be determined by each individual’s relevant qualifications, work experience, skills, and other factors. This estimate excludes the value of any potential sign-on bonus; the value of any benefits offered; and the potential future value of any long-term incentives.
Life at Palantir
We want every Palantirian to achieve their best outcomes, that’s why we celebrate individuals’ strengths, skills, and interests, from your first interview to your longterm growth, rather than rely on traditional career ladders. Paying attention to the needs of our community enables us to optimize our opportunities to grow and helps ensure many pathways to success at Palantir. Promoting health and well-being across all areas of Palantirians’ lives is just one of the ways we’re investing in our community. Learn more at Life at Palantir and note that our offerings may vary by region.
In keeping consistent with Palantir’s values and culture, we believe employees are “better together” and in-person work affords the opportunity for more creative outcomes. Therefore, we encourage employees to work from our offices to foster connectivity and innovation. Many teams do offer hybrid options (WFH a day or two a week), allowing our employees to strike the right trade-off for their personal productivity. Based on business need, there are a few roles that allow for “Remote” work on an exceptional basis. If you are applying for one of these roles, you must work from the state in which you are employed. If the posting is specified as Onsite, you are required to work from an office.
Palantir is committed to promoting a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We believe that all Palantirians share the responsibility of upholding our commitment to these values and encourage candidates from a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives, and lived experiences to join us in solving the world’s hardest problems. Palantir does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Palantir is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with physical and mental disabilities. Please see the United States Department of Labor’s EEO poster, EEO poster supplement and Pay Transparency Notice for additional information.
Palantir is committed to making the job application process accessible to everyone. If you are living with a disability (visible or not visible) and need to request a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please reach out and let us know how we can help.