Sprout Social is looking for a dynamic and collaborative Senior Corporate Counsel to join our Legal team. This person will work closely with and report to Sprout Social’s Associate General Counsel, Commercial.
Why join Sprout’s Legal team?
Our Legal team is growing just as quickly as Sprout—and you will too, with varying opportunities to sharpen your craft as the business scales. You’ll have the ability to provide input and ideas to help us solve hard problems, and see the tangible results of your work. As a team, we’re committed to excellence and take our work seriously, but we try not to take ourselves too seriously. Collaborative in nature, we show up each day ready to support each other’s growth and development—and have a lot of fun doing it.
What you’ll do
- Review, draft, and negotiate complex, non-standard agreements with strategic, enterprise-level customers.
- Provide guidance and legal support to our U.S. Sales and Customer Success teams.
- Balance business needs and risk and partner with internal stakeholders to find creative solutions to complex problems.
- Mentor and collaborate with members of the commercial legal team.
- Assist with the development of standard template language to be used in contracts and associated playbooks.
- Participate in cross-team efforts to develop and implement best practices for the sales organization to improve efficiency in negotiating revenue-generating customer contracts.
- Work with the Privacy team to help review and negotiate DPAs.
- Support special projects or initiatives from time to time that improve the efficiency of the Legal team or solve problems facing the organization.
What you’ll bring
You enjoy working on complex contracts, get excited about closing deals, have the ability to issue spot while balancing risk, think critically and act strategically, and feel comfortable learning on the fly. You are committed to being a joy to work with and adept at handling multiple, competing deadline-driven priorities at any given time. You possess strong business judgment and exceptional communication skills. You also hunt for efficiencies so that your life and the lives of others are constantly made easier.
The minimum qualifications for this role include:
- Member in good standing of the state bar in which they reside
- At least 5-7 years of relevant experience (previous in-house legal experience preferred)
- Significant experience drafting and negotiating a variety of complex commercial contracts with minimal supervision and strong risk assessment skills and business and legal judgment
The preferred qualifications for this role include:
- Strong familiarity with software-as-a-service agreements
- Experience supporting a sales organization at a high-growth technology company
How you’ll grow
Within 1 month, you’ll plant your roots, including:
- Completing Sprout Social’s new hire training & onboarding program alongside other new Sprout team members. You’ll gain a broader understanding of our products and how your role fits into the organization
- Partnering with our Associate General Counsel to define priorities, best practices, and key success metrics for your role
- Building relationships with the Sales leadership team to discuss a typical deal cycle and learn more about their goals and metrics
- Gaining an understanding of the set of legal terms that govern Sprout Social’s customers, and Sprout Social’s positions in legal negotiations
- Grasping the various processes and approvals from stakeholders required to close customer contracts
- Developing an understanding of the risks facing our business
- Shadowing several customer negotiations to learn more about a typical sales cycle
Within 3 months, you’ll start hitting your stride by:
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating complex subscription agreements with enterprise customers
- Leveraging strategy in negotiations and implement learnings across the team
- Managing approval processes and escalations with respect to specific customer deals
- Regularly reviewing and continually proposing updates to our sales contract playbook positions to refine the customer contract negotiations process
- Assisting with the development of internal resources for the sales team and legal team to reference, driving efficiency in all legal review processes
- Meeting with Sales leadership and other stakeholders at a regular cadence to ensure current legal review process aligns with business objectives
Within 6 months, you’ll be making a clear impact through:
- Independently running your own complex customer negotiations
- Enhancing review processes for renewals, RFPs, and NDAs to add additional efficiencies
- Contributing to trainings and materials for the Sales team pertinent to the legal review process
- Helping the Legal team identify areas for streamlining and improvement
- Leading a special project or initiative to improve the efficiency of the Legal team or solve problems facing the organization
Within 12 months, you’ll make this role your own by:
- Be considered an integral member of the legal team that is a go-to lawyer that works with sales leaders and independently negotiates complex enterprise customer contracts while having an outsized impact on the entire organization
Of course what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
Our Benefits Program
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for our team, product and culture. Our benefits program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families
- Progressive policies to support work/life balance, like our flexible paid time off and parental leave program
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment—your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and mental well-being of our team
- Ongoing education and development opportunities via our [email protected] program and employee-led diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop and downtown Seattle, for those who prefer an office setting
Whenever possible, Sprout wants to provide our team with the flexibility to work in the location that makes the most sense for them. Sprout maintains a remote workforce in many places in the United States. However, we are not set up in all states, so please look at the drop-down box in our application to see whether your state is listed. Few roles require an office setting. If your position requires a physical presence in a Sprout office, it will be evident in the job listing and your offer letter.
The base pay range for this role is$126,700.00 to $190,100.00 USD annually. Individual base pay is based on various factors, including relevant experience and skills, the responsibility of the role, and job duties/requirements. In addition to base pay, some Sales and Success roles can earn sales incentives.
Sprout’s compensation ranges are intentionally broad to allow for our team members’ growth within their role. These ranges were determined by a market-based compensation approach; we used data from trusted third-party compensation sources to set equitable, consistent and competitive ranges. We also evaluate compensation bi-annually, identify any changes in the market and make adjustments to our ranges and existing employee compensation as needed.
Base pay is only one element of an employee’s total compensation at Sprout. Every Sprout team member has an opportunity to receive restricted stock units (RSUs) under Sprout’s equity plan. Employees (and their dependents) are covered by medical, dental, vision, basic life, accidental death, and dismemberment insurance, and Modern Health (a wellness benefit). Employees are able to enroll in Sprout’s company’s 401k plan, in which Sprout will match 50% of your contributions up to 6% with a maximum contribution. Sprout offers “Flexible Paid Time Off” and ten paid holidays. We have outlined the various components to an employee’s full compensation package here to help you to understand our total rewards package
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based on identity- race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex (including sexual identity), age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged or sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law. Learn more about our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in our 2021 DEI Report.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. We’ll do all we can to ensure you’re set up for success during our interview process while upholding your privacy, including requests for accommodation. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here (1) Equal Opportunity Employment Poster (2) Sprout Social’s Affirmative Action Statement (3) Pay Transparency Statement.
Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.