Senior Failure Analysis & Materials Engineering Lab Operations Technician
Posted on 2/27/2023
Irvine, CA, USA
- A BS in Materials Science/Engineering, Chemistry, or Chemical Engineering, OR 5+ years hands-on experience in materials testing
- Experience working in a laboratory environment and in the safe use of hazardous chemicals
- Experience working in a forensic environment, and acute attention to detail in the preservation of evidence, sample record keeping, and safe handling of evidence
- Work effectively both independently and in a collaborative environment
- Highly organized and detail oriented in documentation and reporting, as well as cross functional data management
- Hourly Rate for California Based Applicants: $40.85-$47.10 (actual compensation will be determined based on experience, location, and other factors permitted by law)
- Benefits Summary: Rivian provides robust medical/Rx, dental and vision insurance packages for full-time employees, their spouse or domestic partner, and children up to age 26. Coverage is effective on the first day of employment, and Rivian covers most of the premiums
- Assist the FAME lab engineers and scientists in their investigations by operating laboratory equipment, generating, and collating data
- Assist FAME engineers in both failure analysis investigations and materials characterization projects
- Operate an array of laboratory equipment to execute tasks. Prior hands-on experience highly desired, but training will be provided as needed
- Measure basic electrical parameters such as continuity, voltage, and resistance using tools such as power supplies, digital multimeters, oscilloscopes, and megohm-meters
- Prepare metallurgical samples, including cross-section (cut, grind, polish, and etch)
- Measure material hardness using hardness testers - macro and micro
- Identify alloys using X-ray fluorescence (XRF)
- Test physical properties of materials, such as tensile and compression, using a universal tensile tester
- Perform nondestructive flaw evaluation using dye penetrant or magnetic particle inspection
- Characterize polymeric materials using DSC/TGA/DMA/Rheometer and FTIR
- Perform macro photography and optical microscopy
- Example samples using scanning electron microscopy and energy dispersive spectroscopy (SEM/EDS)
- Inspect samples using 2D X-ray and 3D CT scanning
- Operate machine shop tools such as band saw, drill press, lathe, milling machine, etc
- Perform preventative maintenance of laboratory equipment on a scheduled basis to ensure maximum uptime and operability of the equipment
- Assist in day to day organization of the lab, including ordering consumables, maintenance of chemical inventory, sample organization and tracking, etc
- Produce clear and concise reports to summarize data collected and be able to clearly present this to the FAME lab engineers and scientists
Electric vehicles manufacturer
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. The company believes there is a more responsible way to explore the world and is determined to make the transition to sustainable transportation an exciting one. Rivian designed their emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles to challenge what's possible.
- Ownership for All: We offer every employee the opportunity to own Rivian stock through equity programs, supporting their financial wellness.
- Mental and Emotional Wellness: We provide employees and their families access to mental wellness platforms and our Employees Assistance Program
- Fertility and Family Planning: We support diverse family-building journeys, providing employees with benefits such as paid parental leave and financial support for adoption, fertility treatments or surrogacy.
- Competitive Compensation: We offer competitive compensation packages driven by mutual investment in our long-term growth and success.
- Career Development: We enable all employees to own their development. Continuous learning opportunities and tuition reimbursement help drive performance, boost engagement and develop future leaders.
- Transgender Benefits: In alignment with WPATH guidelines, our 2022 plans provide coverage toward medical, pharmacy and cosmetic needs.
Company Core Values
- A diverse workforce
- Embracing active allyship
- Purpose-driven partnerships
- Supporting our team