Member of Technical Staff
Updated on 2/23/2024
Natural language processing software
Cohere's mission is to build machines that understand the world, and to make them safely accessible to all.
AI & Machine Learning
Crypto & Web3
Growth & Insights
6 month growth↑ 37%
1 year growth↑ 201%
2 year growth↑ 780%
San Francisco, CA, USA
Natural Language Processing (NLP)
AI & Machine Learning
- 3+ years of model training, deployment, and maintenance in a production environment
- Strong skills in NLP and deep learning
- Experience scaling products at hyper-growth startup
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability and interest to travel up to 25%, as needed to client sites
- Own and build large new areas within our product
- Work across backend, frontend, and customize Large Language Models
- Experiment at a high velocity and level of quality to engage customers
- Work across the entire product lifecycle from conceptualization through production
- Experience improving LLM performance for custom domains via fine tuning or RLHF
- Experience in Information Retrieval systems for document question answering
- Experience in day-to-day NLP for industry using Python and related toolchains (SpaCy, HuggingFace, NLTK, etc.)
- Published research in areas of machine learning at major conferences and/or journals
Who are we?
Our mission is to scale intelligence to serve humanity. We’re training and deploying frontier models for developers and enterprises who are building AI systems to power magical experiences like semantic search, RAG, and agents. We believe that our work is instrumental to the widespread adoption of AI.
We obsess over what we build. Each one of us is responsible for contributing to increasing the capabilities of our models and the value they drive for our customers. We like to work hard and move fast to do what’s best for our customers.
Cohere is a team of researchers, engineers, designers, and more, who are passionate about their craft. Each person is the one of the best in the world at what they do. We believe that a diverse range of perspectives is a requirement for building great products.
Join us on our mission and shape the future!
Why this role?
As an AI Engineer (a Member of Technical Staff role on our Forward Deployed team) you will work directly with customers to quickly understand their greatest problems and design and implement solutions using Large Language Models.
You’ll apply your problem-solving ability, creativity, and technical skills to close the last-mile gap in Enterprise AI adoption. You’ll be able to deliver products like early startup CTOs/CEOs do and disrupt some of the most important industries and institutions globally!
In this role, you will:
- Own and build large new areas within our product.
- Work across backend, frontend, and customize Large Language Models.
- Experiment at a high velocity and level of quality to engage our customers and eventually deliver solutions that exceed their expectations.
- Work across the entire product lifecycle from conceptualization through production.
This career opportunity may be a good match for you if you have:
- 3+ years of model training, deployment, and maintenance in a production environment.
- Strong skills in NLP and deep learning.
- Experience scaling products at hyper-growth startup.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability and interest to travel up to 25%, as needed to client sites, but flexible based on personal preferences.
Nice to have skills/experiences:
- Experience improving LLM performance for custom domains via fine tuning or RLHF.
- Experience in Information Retrieval systems for document question answering.
- Experience in day-to-day NLP for industry using Python and related toolchains (SpaCy, HuggingFace, NLTK, etc.).
- Published research in areas of machine learning at major conferences and/or journals.
If some of the above doesn’t line up perfectly with your experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you consider yourself a thoughtful worker, a lifelong learner, and a kind and playful team member, Cohere is the place for you.
We value and celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive work environment for all. We welcome applicants of all kinds and are committed to providing an equal opportunity process. Cohere provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment
🧑💻 Work closely with a team on the cutting edge of AI research
🍽 Weekly lunch stipend, in-office lunches & snacks
🦷 Full health and dental benefits, including a separate budget to take care of your mental health
🐣 100% Parental Leave top-up for 6 months for employees based in Canada, the US, and the UK
🎨 Personal enrichment benefits towards arts and culture, fitness and well-being, quality time, and workspace improvement
🏙 Remote-flexible, offices in Toronto, Palo Alto, San-Francisco and London and co-working stipend
✈️ 6 weeks of vacation
Note: This post is co-authored by both Cohere humans and Cohere technology.