Modern Health is a mental health benefits platform for employers. We are the first global mental health solution to offer employees access to one-on-one, group, and self-serve digital resources for their emotional, professional, social, financial, and physical well-being needs—all within a single platform. Whether someone wants to proactively manage stress or treat depression, Modern Health guides people to the right care at the right time. We empower companies to help all their employees be the best version of themselves, and believe in meeting people wherever they are in their mental health journey.
We are a female-founded company backed by investors like Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund, John Doerr, Y Combinator, and Battery Ventures. We partner with 330+ global companies like Lyft, Electronic Arts, Pixar, Clif Bar, Okta, and Udemy that are taking a proactive approach to mental health care for their employees. Modern Health has raised more than $170 million in less than two years with a valuation of $1.17 billion, making Modern Health the fastest entirely female-founded company in the U.S. to reach unicorn status.
We tripled our headcount in 2021 and as a hyper-growth company with a fully remote workforce, we prioritize our people-first culture (winning awards including Fortune’s Best Workplaces in the Bay Area 2021). To protect our culture and help our team stay connected, we require overlapping hours for everyone. While many roles may function from anywhere in the world—see individual job listing for more—team members who live outside the Pacific time zone must be comfortable working early in the morning or late at night; all full-time employees must work at least six hours between 8 am and 5 pm Pacific time each workday.
We are looking for driven, creative, and passionate individuals to join in our mission. An inclusive and diverse culture are key components of mental well-being in the workplace, and that starts with how we build our own team. If you’re excited about a role, we’d love to hear from you!
Modern Health’s platform team enables developers to build and ship products quickly and confidently. We sit between Infrastructure and Product engineering, building out shared services, libraries, and processes that level up our engineering teams. In this role, you’ll be focused on building the culture, tools, and practices to implement quality across our ecosystem. As a staff engineer you’ll work across all levels of the stack, from defining acceptance criteria with Product Managers to implementing release automation with Infrastructure engineers. Your day to day will be a mix of defining high-level, org-wide strategy; building standardized, reusable frameworks, and directly collaborating with product engineers, including pair programming.
This position is not eligible to be performed in Hawaii.
What You’ll Do-
- Define testing and release practices across back-end, front-end, and mobile development teams
- Foster a strong culture of quality across Modern Health, grounded in our user experience
- Develop shared libraries and tooling to improve developers’ testing experience
- Lead the Testing Architecture Team, a cross-team group of engineers who implement quality practices on their home teams
- Partner with engineering leadership to define key quality metrics and provide regular visibility
- Coordinate with Product and Design counterparts to define user stories and acceptance criteria
- Support product engineering teams in implementing quality initiatives like end to end test coverage and cross-service
- Share and review tech specs for architecture design and quality coverage
- Participate in incident retrospectives to improve our monitoring and response processes
Who You Are-
- A seasoned software engineer with significant experience in platform engineering, engineering enablement, and/or software quality & release engineering
- Typically 8+ years of industry experience building high quality code and services
- Proficiency in Python, our standard language for back-end and infrastructure
- A strong leader and communicator, able to influence and align teams around a common quality vision and strategy
- A technical expert, familiar with various testing frameworks, tools, and methodologies, and able to guide teams in their implementation
- A systems thinker, able to balance the trade-offs between speed, quality, and scalability and make informed decisions that benefit the entire organization
- Experienced in working in an Agile development environment and collaborating with cross-functional teams
- Comfortable working with a diverse set of technologies, from front-end to back-end and mobile development
- Passionate about delivering high-quality products and continuously improving engineering processes and practices
- Medical / Dental / Vision / Disability / Life Insurance (Modern Health offers 100% coverage for employees and 75% of dependent insurance premiums)
- High deductible health plan option with health savings account
- Access to Coaches and Therapists through Modern Health’s platform
- Flexible PTO
- Company-wide mental health days
- Unlimited career growth opportunity
- Parental leave policy
- Family Forming Benefit through Carrot
- Professional Development Stipend
- Financial planning through Origin
But wait there’s more…!
- Cell Phone Reimbursement
- Annual Wellness Stipend to use on items that promote your overall well being
- ModSquad Community: Virtual events like active ERGs, holiday themed activities, team-building events and more
Equal Pay for Equal Work Act Information
Please refer to the ranges below to find the starting annual pay range for individuals applying to work remotely from the following locations for this role.Compensation for the role will depend on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies, and experience and may fall outside of the range shown. Ranges are not necessarily indicative of the associated starting pay range in other locations. Full-time employees are also eligible for Modern Health’s equity program and incredible benefits package. See our Careers page for more information.
Depending on the scope of the role, some ranges are indicative of On Target Earnings (OTE) and includes both base pay and commission at 100% achievement of established targets.
San Francisco Bay Area
All Other California Locations
New York City
All Other New York Locations
All Other Washington Locations
Below, we are asking you to complete identity information for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). While we are required by law to ask these questions in the format provided by the EEOC, at Modern Health we know that gender is not binary, and we recognize that these categories do not reflect our employees’ full range of identities.