Counsel – Minors
Immigration and Diligence
Updated on 2/7/2024
Subscription streaming entertainment service
Netflix's mission is to entertain the world. The company operates a streaming platform for movies & TV shows and has over 222 million subscribers globally.
Los Gatos, California
Growth & Insights
6 month growth↑ 0%
1 year growth↑ 4%
2 year growth↑ 1%
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Legal & Compliance
- J.D. and membership in good standing in at least one U.S. state bar
- 5-7 years of experience as an attorney
- Experience in immigration law is preferred
- Assess, design, and implement strategic approaches regarding immigration and child labor/minor protection
- Provide end-to-end immigration support for Netflix live-action and animated productions
- Manage child labor compliance for activities involving minors
- Oversee minor welfare and guide the business on Netflix best practices for working with minors on set
- Establish innovative processes and workflows and identify areas for improvement
- Experience in child labor compliance or for a network/studio
Netflix is one of the world’s leading entertainment services with over 247 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, films and games across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can play, pause and resume watching as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, and can change their plans at any time.
Netflix is seeking a talented lawyer to be part of the Minors, Immigration & Diligence (MInD) team within Employment Legal. The MInD team is unique to Netflix and handles niche, yet important aspects of Netflix productions. Our team sets and implements practices across Netflix to help our productions be thoughtful, innovative, and consistent with respect to global immigration requirements for cast and crew, child labor compliance, minor welfare, and more. In a culture that supports judgment and innovation as key competencies, this position will have the responsibility of managing and overseeing compliance with immigration and best practices/legal requirements for working with minors in relation to an assigned slate of Netflix owned projects.
- As MInD Counsel you will work with internal business partners to assess, design, and implement strategic approaches regarding immigration and child labor/minor protection during and throughout the lifecycle of Netflix projects.
- Netflix’s mission to entertain the world means our productions film in locations all across the globe. You will be part of a team who works together to understand the relevant legal requirements in various countries, developing new workflows, sourcing new vendors, and educating cross-functional partners on the requirements and regulations in these countries.
- This role will be responsible for providing end-to-end immigration support for Netflix live-action and animated productions, including liaising with outside counsel, external production partners, and talent reps; preparing and reviewing immigration documents; and advising key internal stakeholders throughout the visa journey.
- This role will manage child labor compliance for activities involving minors, including advising on all applicable local child labor regulations and union/guild rules; overseeing the filing of all necessary child labor permit applications; tracking; and providing guidance and support on minor court affirmations to internal Business Affairs partners.
- This role will be responsible for overseeing minor welfare, including guiding the business on Netflix best practices for working with minors on set. This entails assessing risk and guiding productions on how to mitigate those risks, which can include, but is not limited to, background checks on those working around minors; managing vendors; and keeping a constant flow of communication with internal stakeholders.
- We are focused on efficiency and serving the needs of production. Part of that means being flexible and agile with the business as it evolves, which will require this role to establish innovative processes and workflows and identify areas for improvement.
To be successful:
- You have experience leading and advising through tricky situations that involve gray areas, nuanced analysis, and/or risk assessment.
- You regularly exercise great judgment and can articulate sound reasoning for your decisions.
- You have strong attention to detail, an ability to work well with changing information, and an ability to manage competing deadlines.
- You possess excellent organizational, multi-tasking, and time management skills.
- You are effective and concise in your communications.
- You are a team player who acts with a sense of urgency and adapts to a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- You are resourceful and take the initiative to seek internal and external resources when problem-solving.
- You have prior experience as an attorney for at least 5-7 years. Previous work in immigration is preferred. Experience in child labor compliance, or for a network/studio, is helpful but is not required. We are open to those with experience outside of our practice areas. If you feel you meet the criteria above and have transferable skills, you are welcome to apply with a cover note explaining what transferable skills you possess
- J.D. and membership in good standing in at least one U.S. state bar is required.
Our compensation structure consists solely of an annual salary; we do not have bonuses. You choose each year how much of your compensation you want in salary versus stock options. To determine your personal top of market compensation, we rely on market indicators and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to determine your compensation in the market range. The range for this role is $130,000 - $380,000.
Netflix provides comprehensive benefits including Health Plans, Mental Health support, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with employer match, Stock Option Program, Disability Programs, Health Savings and Flexible Spending Accounts, Family-forming benefits, and Life and Serious Injury Benefits. We also offer paid leave of absence programs. Full-time hourly employees accrue 35 days annually for paid time off to be used for vacation, holidays, and sick paid time off. Full-time salaried employees are immediately entitled to flexible time off. See more detail about our Benefits here.
Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.