Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly to make transportation safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. The Aurora Driver is a self-driving system designed to operate multiple vehicle types, from freight-hauling semi-trucks to ride-hailing passenger vehicles, and underpins Aurora Horizon and Aurora Connect, its driver-as-a-service products for trucking and ride-hailing. Aurora is working with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem, including Toyota, FedEx, Volvo Trucks, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, U.S. Xpress, Werner, Covenant, Schneider, and Ryder. For Aurora’s latest news, visit aurora.tech and @aurora_inno on Twitter.
Bringing self-driving vehicles to our roads is the most transformative opportunity of our generation. Aurora is taking a fresh start with the development of self-driving technology, combining excellence in AI, rigorous engineering, and a team with decades of experience building robots that work.
Led by a team of seasoned experts, our mission is to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. We are designing the software and hardware to power the transportation of our future that will make our roads safer, give more people access to mobility, and reduce congestion and pollution in cities - improving the quality of life for all. The challenge in what we are endeavoring to achieve is transcendent; we are developing perhaps the world’s most complex computing system and asking it to perform the task of transporting and keeping safe our most precious asset: human life.
Aurora hires people who are excited to build the future of transportation.
This role sits within the Security Strategy and Programs team. Aurora’s Security Strategy and Programs team’s mission is to develop security strategy and drive security initiatives across all of Aurora. We are searching for a seasoned security professional with expertise in driving company wide technical programs to join us on this mission.
This role specifically is responsible for driving enterprise IT infrastructure security initiatives and programs. This role will function as the bridge between Security, IT Engineering, IT Operations, Developer Operations, Aurora Trucking Operations (Service Delivery) teams to drive adoption and implementation of security controls as needed for different product release milestones.
This role moves effortlessly from high level strategy into tangible action plan adjusted for different stakeholders so that they can execute towards a complex and cross-functional goal. This role will bring in the right set of people as needed to bring specificity and clarity for timely execution of large scale cross-team initiatives. The role will thrive in a dynamic work environment, and is able to prioritize multiple parallel efforts. The role will proactively make efforts to break through communication barriers and develop strong relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
Job level is negotiable based on experience. Flexible work locations are available (MTV, SFO, PIT, SEA) for US-based employees (Full remote is not available for this role).
In This Role You Will
- Establish Security Initiatives and Programs
- Function as internal product manager for enterprise security capabilities.
- Identify security gaps, design security controls and develop security programs for Aurora’s enterprise IT infrastructure and operations.
- Partner closely with Aurora’s IT Engineering, IT Operations, Developer Operations, Aurora Trucking Operations, Communications, Legal and Supply Chain teams to develop execution plans for security initiatives.
- Build a security support interface between Security and the rest of the company.
- Drive Security Program Execution and Risks Resolution
- Drive company wide planning, roadmapping, resourcing of enterprise security and compliance initiatives.
- Interface with engineering managers and engineers to estimate work efforts, define milestones and manage resources.
- Track progress, roadblocks and potential risks of enterprise security initiatives and programs.
- Proactively ask questions to drive clarity in execution dependencies and priorities to push the team to be highly effective.
- Identify procedural, operational, and communication gaps, manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities.
- Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress.
- Willingness and ability to dive into problems and document, drive alignment, drive plans and assist with execution.
- Manage Stakeholders and Communications
- Establish communication interfaces to keep various levels of stakeholders informed.
- Publish regular reports on programs KPIs and risks
- Engage the right stakeholders as needed to enable timely strategic and tactical decision making.
- Minimum 7+ years of experience in the capacity of a Technical Program Manager, Product Manager, Engineering Manager or Security Engineer in domains of Security, Compliance or IT.
- BS in Computer Science, Information Technology or a technical field or equivalent experience
- Hands-on experience in driving security programs such as identity & access management, detection & response, threat intel, vulnerability management, endpoint/device security, network security or 3rd party risk management.
- Experience with driving implementation of security standards such ISO 27001, SOC2, NIST 800-171, NIST 800-53 or NIST 800-37.
- Ability to influence and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
- Experience with planning and driving organization wide multi-year engineering initiatives.
- Experience with driving and managing company wide disruptive changes.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with creating detailed reporting and dashboards
- Strong technical, analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations and drive decisions.
- Professional certifications such as CISSP, CISM, CISA, CCSK, GIAC, Prosci, SAFe, CSM or PMP.
- Experience with developing threat models and using threat models to develop security controls and initiatives.
- Experience as an internal security consultant/advisor.
- Familiarity with Zero Trust Architecture principles.
- Experience implementing cloud security controls.
- Experience with setting organization wide security programs (e.g. security detection and response, vulnerability management, threat intel) from ground-up.
- Ability to work within organizations with minimal structure and with minimal direction.
- Experience with creating communication plans for various levels of stakeholders.
- Excellent emotional intelligence.
Working at Aurora
Our work has real purpose. Delivering the benefits of self-driving will save lives around the world, expand access to transportation, revitalize cities, and give people time back every day.
We’re one team. We’re inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief our success will be a result of working together.
The base salary range for this position is $188k-$282K per year. Aurora’s pay ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, the successful candidate’s starting base pay will be determined based on factors including job-related skills, experience, qualifications, relevant education or training, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future. The successful candidate will also be eligible for an annual bonus, equity compensation, and benefits.
The Founding Team
Aurora has assembled the most experienced leadership team in this space. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Autopilot system. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. At Aurora, these three continue to bring experts from all areas of the industry to the team. We are funded by Amazon, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock and Index Ventures.
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together extraordinarily talented and experienced people united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and build a culture where we win together — all without any jerks.
We have offices inseveral locations across the United States, where we encourage team and cross-functional collaboration. Aurora offers competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits, and additional healthcare support including medical transportation reimbursement, fertility, adoption, and surrogacy benefits. We empower our employees and their families with options to further their unique physical, mental, and financial wellbeing.
Our Learning and Development offerings include Aurora Academy, where our people learn, develop, and practice the essential skills that drive Aurora’s mission, continually up-leveling our team along the way. Our Careers pageprovides insight into career opportunities at Aurora, and you can find all the latest news on ourBlog.
Safety is central to everything we do. Every employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. We seek candidates who take active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by working safely — no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including increased access to transportation. To realize those benefits, we need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives — a workforce that reflects the communities our technology will serve.
Aurora is committed to providing access to anyone who seeks information from our website. We invite anyone using assistive technologies, such as a screen reader or Braille reader, to email us at [email protected]. if they experience difficulty using our website. Please describe the accessibility problem and include a URL (if available).
Aurora considers candidates without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law. Aurora considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected].
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At Aurora, every employee is empowered to take an active role in building an inclusive, collaborative, and unified culture that leverages our diverse strengths, perspectives, and backgrounds.
Transforming how the world moves people and goods involves seeking to understand backgrounds, insights, and lived experiences that differ from our own. One way we accomplish that is with our 15 employee-led Aurora Unified Groups, which support diverse voices and drive inclusive collaboration. We believe that teamwork, belonging, and trust motivate and support our employees to do their best work. As our team grows, we strive to attract and retain exceptional talent that adds new perspectives and experiences and continues to drive innovation. Learn more on our Culture Page.