Outrider is a software company that is automating distribution yards with electric, self-driving trucks. Our system eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive while it improves safety and efficiency. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation. We are a private company founded in 2018 and backed by NEA, 8VC, Koch Disruptive Technologies, and other top-tier investors. Our customers are Fortune 200 companies and our autonomous trucks are already running in distribution yards. For more information, visit www.outrider.ai
Outrider’s Senior Functional Safety Engineer (focused on Software) will report to the Director of System Safety and support the design, development, and implementation of reliable, performant, safety-critical software that controls autonomous vehicle hardware, including braking, steering, actuation, and other functions.
We are seeking an experienced system safety/functional safety engineer to help build out a first-of-its-kind safety case for autonomous yard operations. You will be responsible for setting, monitoring, and enforcing the high standard of software development necessary for the safety-critical functioning of a two-body, multi-ton autonomous ground-vehicle system and safe, error-free, effective operation. You will be responsible for ensuring the code developed as part of the safety concept is well traced, documented, and tested at all levels.
This role is ideal for a talented engineer who wants to be a part of an elite, impactful engineering team pushing confined-area, heavy-vehicle autonomy into the mainstream. We’re a team of builders that’s passionate about start-to-finish, production-oriented development and rapidly introducing our software to the real world of logistics.
System safety engineering is a pivotal function for delivering a low-risk system for industrial automation. The opportunity offers a technical, hands-on, functional safety engineer the chance to help develop a market-defining, enterprise-grade robotics product that combines autonomous vehicle technologies with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
The ideal candidate embraces the idea of reducing the carbon footprint of our ’get-it-now’ economy and is invigorated by our overarching mission to accelerate the adoption of zero-emission, self-driving vehicle technology.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead the creation of functional safety processes and documentation in accordance to ISO 26262, IEC 61508 and ISO 13849
- Drive and support engineering compliance activities according to Safety standards during all project phases (concept, product development, product design, development, validation, production, EOL)
- Ensure traceability between software safety requirements and functional safety requirements
- Provide guidance to software & tools teams on functional safety industry requirements to ensure compliance
- Define the structure for software design reviews and facilitate them
- Be a domain expert in the design of safe software design principles
- Document all relevant software safety requirements, analyses, architecture implementation verification and validation events for application software/or platform software for Outrider ECUs
- Facilitate design reviews, software hazard analysis and test coverage reviews
- Promote Outrider’s safety culture internally and externally
- Contribute generally to the growth and success of the Company and the building of a vibrant culture focused on the responsible deployment of zero-emission autonomous vehicle technology
- Master’s Degree or Bachelor’s Degree in an engineering subject area such as Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ years of postgraduate work experience as a functional safety engineer focused on software
- 3+ years of experience as an embedded software developer
- Experience standing up software development process and associated metric tracking capabilities
- Knowledge of and experience using functional safety strands for the developing and fielding of complex systems (e.g., ISO 26262, IEC 61508, ISO 13849, ISO 25119, UL 4600, ANSI R15.08)
- Ability to articulate technical issues and solutions to all levels of the business, within and beyond the engineering communities
- Ability and mindset to learn new things and adapt established processes to a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- History of advocacy for functional safety across all levels of software development
- Excellent written and verbal communications; ability to explain complex concepts to colleagues across disciplines.
- Understanding of high-level safety implementation at a vehicle level but be able to transition to low-level architecture and how safety requirements are applied to low-level software
- Master’s Degree in an engineering subject area such as Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering
- Background developing functional and SOTIF safety requirements and roadmap for all vehicle and subsystem level safety requirements
- Experience with cybersecurity (especially for automated vehicles)
- ROS, Python, C or C++ experience
- Work with requirements tools such as DOORS, Polarion, R4J
At Outrider, we believe in cultivating an environment where there is diversity of perspectives, experiences, and knowledge with the expectation that we thrive in an inclusive environment. Outrider is committed to a workforce where everyone’s opportunities are limitless regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, veteran status, or any others that are protected by law.
To protect yourself against the increasing number of recruiting scams, please make sure that you are communicating with Outrider Technologies, Inc. or one of its employees. The only way to communicate with us is through our corporate website at www.outrider.ai, through corporate emails utilizing our domain name of @outrider.ai, and through our job board at jobs.lever.co/outrider. Be vigilant when checking domains because imitators often make very small changes to trick the eye. Additionally, please know that Outrider does not use text messaging or public messaging platforms, such as Telegram or Whatsapp, to communicate with candidates and Outrider will never ask an employment candidate for financial information or for payment of any kind.