Cloud Infrastructure Engineer Intern
Posted on 2/2/2022
Google Cloud Platform
- Creativity & imagination: Software is part science and part art - creative “outside the box” thinking can take you a long way
- Patience & attention to detail: Thinking through a solution and paying attention to the details to ensure that successful last 20% of a project will set you up for success
- Curiosity and proactivity: Dissecting how systems work to understand their behaviour and going as far as possible in discovering different learning areas
- Humility & empathy: Nobody wants to work with a “brilliant jerk” persona. We value these human qualities to provide a better working environment for all
- Distributed systems: Having a broad understanding of distributed systems can make the difference in hitting the ground running and being effective in our organisation
- Team spirit: We're looking for team players - people able to help, support, and work in a team as a “great” team
- Good communication and presentation skills: Our platform evolves at pace - effective communication is critical in our highly technical environment
- Analytical skills: Much like debugging software, often, our research and development work relies on spotting patterns. An analytical persona will be compelling with us
- Enthusiasm / “GSD” attitude: You must be enthusiastic and have a “can-do” attitude. You won't have all the answers - we expect you to balance self-learning alongside asking your colleagues and mentors to get the job done
- Research and proactivity - interns and full-time employees alike are expected to define our technical roadmap through their knowledge and -research of the problem domain
- Design - we use a lightweight “one-pager” architecture process to propose changes, solicit feedback and collaborate across teams for change control
- Implementation-this is where you're likely to spend most of your time
- Golang code - typically Kubernetes operators - to manage container-based cloud infrastructure
- Infrastructure - ownership of cloud infrastructure through IaC methodologies (e.g. Terraform)
- Persistence layer (databases & streams) - managing Postgres or Kafka persistence systems
- UX - creating management and developer tooling for use by colleagues outside of your team
- Security - our customers trust us with their data, and we must maintain security best practices throughout our platform
- Testing - we pride ourselves on a well-tested codebase with high levels of code coverage and end-to-end testing (CI/CD pipelines)
- Continuous improvement - Keeping up-to-date with recent technological and software developments
- Proudness - You build it, and you run it! With our support, we expect you to be proud, enthusiastic, responsible and accountable for your deliverables, maintenance and setting solid foundations for future evolution
- Knowledge of software/programming languages: Most successful candidates will already have good knowledge of at least two programming languages (Golang is a plus)
Full-scale data streaming platform
Confluent's mission is to create a new paradigm for real-time data streaming to help organizations set data in motion. The company builds tech-enables data manipulation tools.
- Best Teammates on Planet Earth - Loving your job has a lot to do with the people around you. Luckily at Confluent, you will find some of the most genuine people who make you excited to come to work each day.
- Adjustable Working Arrangements - While most of our employees work typical business hours, we encourage everyone to partner with their manager to make a schedule that works best for them and Confluent.
- Robust Benefits - Health and wellness is important and Confluent is proud to offer a total benefits program that ranks in the top percentile of companies similar in size to our industry in our established geographies.
- Rest and Recharge Days - Personal time off is great but it is even better when your whole team has the day. Each quarter, teams have three recharge days where the entire team logs off and refreshes before coming back to work.
- Weekly Lunch Spend - At Confluent, we have a weekly lunch program called “No Pay Thursday.” On Thursdays, lunch is provided by Confluent at local restaurants and grocery stores, taxes may apply for some countries.
- Flexible Paid Time Off (PTO) - Confluent employees work really hard to meet the needs of our growing and scaling business. To make sure that we don’t burn out, we encourage everyone to balance their PTO in an adequate way.
Company Core Values
- Earn Our Customers' Love
- To Build a Great Company, Build a Great Team
- Smart, Humble, and Empathetic
- Be Fired up and Get It Done
- Tasteful not Wasteful
- One Team