Muck Rack is the leading SaaS platform for public relations and communications professionals. Our mission is to enable organizations to build trust, tell their stories and demonstrate the unique value of earned media. Muck Rack’s Public Relations Management (PRM) platform enables PR teams to work together to find the right journalists for their stories, send customized pitches, build meaningful relationships with the media, monitor news, and quantify their impact.
Founder controlled, fully distributed, and growing sustainably, Muck Rack has received several awards for its unparalleled culture and product from organizations like Inc., G2, and BuiltIn. We value resilience, transparency, ownership, & customer devotion and infuse these values into everything we do.
Muck Rack’s engineering team powers a platform that is meaningfully changing how journalists, PR pros, and marketers around the world work. We’re looking for a hands-on Engineering Manager to lead one of our engineering teams and make a big impact on our people, our culture, and our product. As an Engineering Manager, your mission will be to build, lead and motivate a team of dedicated software engineers responsible for building our platform. You’ll be a great fit for this position if you are excited about leveraging your technical expertise to help those on your team grow and succeed in their roles.
What you’ll do:
- Own the development of the existing engineering team, including their product delivery and their personal development
- Manage the development, deployment, and improvement of highly accurate, well understood, well measured models
- Contribute to furthering data and delivery architectures across our various data platforms
- Act as a cross-functional driver for the organization, consolidating priorities across stakeholders, communicating back timelines and plans to resolve open items. Take ownership of priorities from stakeholders and other groups.
- Demonstrate ownership and initiative by identifying new opportunities for Muck Rack to pursue, and working to influence their direction.
- Be responsible for fostering an inclusive, engaging environment for existing teammates where they can perform their best work.
- Hire, onboard, and train new team members, growing them to be strong contributors on the engineering team
If the details below describe you, you could be a great fit for this role:
- 5+ years of experience in data science or engineering, with demonstrated experience delivering high quality models and actionable insights
- 2+ years of experience managing an engineering team in a start-up / Software-as-a-Service environment
- Fluency in SQL, and at least one of Python, R, or relevant scripting language
- Familiarity with deploying and scaling large data models
- A focus on NLP or predictive analytics
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A 30 min interview with a member of our Talent Team
- A 1 hour video interview with the hiring manager
- Final interview with several team members, including a code discussion
The starting salary for this role is between $179,000-$200,000 depending on skills and experience. We take a geo-neutral approach to compensation within the US, meaning that we pay based on job function and level, not location. For all other countries, we have competitive pay bands based on market standards.
Individual compensation decisions are based on a number of factors, including experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company. We expect the majority of the candidates who are offered roles at our company to fall healthily throughout the range based on these factors. We recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated with you as a candidate.
Why Muck Rack?
Remote Work, Forever. We’re a fully distributed team and have pledged to remain that way forever. We offer employees a full home office setup, phone & internet reimbursement, and a monthly coworking membership. We build culture through virtual and in-person team bonding opportunities including team lunches, friendly competitions, and celebratory events!
Transparent Compensation. We offer competitive geo-neutral pay in the U.S. and review compensation at least once annually to ensure internal equity and alignment with the external market. Depending on the role, we offer either a standardized bonus program or attainable commission structure and an opportunity to earn equity in the company. All employees are eligible for our 401(k) plan* with employer contributions.
Health & Wellness*. Muck Rack provides comprehensive health, dental, vision, and disability insurance for employees and their families. We offer two plans with 100% premium coverage for individuals and 85% premium coverage for dependents, as well as a range of other plans. Our team also has access to OneMedical, 24/7 Virtual Care, an Employee Assistance Program, as well as FSA and HSA options. Team members have access to a quarterly wellness stipend and a free Headspace subscription.
PTO and Family Benefits. Our team enjoys 4+ weeks of off-the-grid PTO, plus paid sick/mental health days, summer Fridays, and 13 paid holidays. In order to combat Zoom fatigue and allow for deep work without interruption, we have implemented “No Internal Meeting Fridays” year round. We also provide up to 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave.
Personal & Professional Development. We grow talent by creating internal pathways for advancement and promotion. Muck Rack conducts bi-annual performance reviews, hosts team-wide workshops, and offers management training and leadership training opportunities. We also provide unlimited subscriptions to L&D platforms including Coursera & O’Reilly, as well as 2 additional days of PTO to dedicate to learning and development.
Culture of Inclusion. We know that diverse perspectives breed innovation and help us better serve our customers. We are committed to ensuring employees feel their identities are valued and that people of all backgrounds and points of view are treated equitably.
Customer-First. Founder-controlled means we have the freedom to be nimble, highly collaborative and innovative, building forward-thinking products that enable 3,000+ companies around the world to build trust, tell their stories and demonstrate the unique value of earned media.
*These benefits are specific to US-based employees. In some, but not all, cases we are able to offer equivalent benefits to employees located outside of the United States.
If you’re excited about an opportunity at Muck Rack but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with the requirements of the role outlined here, please don’t let it stop you from applying. We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, and we want to hear from you. You may be a great fit for this role or another position on our team. We deliberately encourage individuals from all backgrounds, including race, gender identity, sexual orientation, and disability status to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer and we’re committed to a fair and consistent interview process and candidate experience.