New York, New York
6 month growth↑ 2%
1 year growth↑ 9%
2 year growth↑ 63%
- CPA preferred
- Four-year college degree in Accounting, Finance, or Other Business Degree
- Six to eight years of Partnership Tax experience
- Strong Microsoft Excel experience
- Manage external service providers during the annual federal and state tax compliance process
- Coordinate with financial reporting and external tax advisors
- Assist fund accounting team and external tax advisors with IRS W forms preparation and review
- Preparation of Forms 1099 and TD F 90-22.1 (FBAR)
- Review of FATCA and CRS analysis prepared by tax advisors
- Assist in the creation and dissolution of fund entities
- Assist external providers to prepare annual tax provisions for blocker corporations
- Respond to notices from federal, state and foreign taxing authorities
- Work with Investor Relations and Business Development to respond to investors’ tax inquiries or ad-hoc requests
- Provide training and technical tax assistance to members of fund accounting and the legal team
- Perform other duties to support the Head of Tax and Director
- Big Four experience
StepStone is a rapidly growing Global Private Markets firm who provides customized investment and advisory solutions to some of the most sophisticated investors in the world. With $640 billion of total capital allocations, including $143 billion in AUM, we are highly diversified in the private markets across the globe and provide creative solutions to solve for the objectives of any investment program. With a culture built on entrepreneurialism, partnership and being a team within teams, our firm offers joiners the opportunity to think out loud, collaboratively.
StepStone is currently seeking a Tax Manager to join the Tax team. This individual will support the day-to-day accounting and tax compliance of the Company’s fund partnership vehicles focused on Private Equity, Infrastructure, Private Debt, and Real Estate investments. The Tax Manager will review the work of the tax vendors and work closely with the Fund Accounting, Legal and Investor Services teams as well as provide support to the Investment team. This role will report to the Director.
Essential Job Functions:
This hands-on, detail-oriented position will:
- Manage external service providers during the annual federal and state tax compliance process for StepStone investment funds from start to finish – preparation of tax returns and tax estimates by external providers and distribution of K-1s to investors.
- Coordinate with financial reporting and external tax advisors in the preparation of non-U.S. tax returns for investment vehicles.
- Assist fund accounting team and external tax advisors with IRS W forms preparation and review.
- Identify and review US withholding tax requirements relating to income allocations to foreign recipients including FDAP, ECI, and prepare necessary tax filings.
- Preparation of Forms 1099 and TD F 90-22.1 (FBAR).
- Knowledge of informational filings, including Forms 926, 5471, 8621, 8865, 8886.
- Review of FATCA and CRS analysis prepared by tax advisors for proper reporting in various foreign jurisdictions.
- Assist in the creation and dissolution of fund entities.
- Assist external providers to prepare annual tax provisions for blocker corporations.
- Respond to notices from federal, state and foreign taxing authorities.
- Work with Investor Relations and Business Development to respond to investors’ tax inquiries or ad-hoc requests.
- Provide training and technical tax assistance to members of fund accounting and the legal team.
- Perform other duties to support the Head of Tax and Director.
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- CPA preferred
- Must possess a four-year college degree with a major in Accounting, Finance, or Other Business Degree
- Six to eight years of Partnership Tax experience, preference for Alternative Investments and experience with carried interest allocations.
- Big Four experience a plus
- Strong Microsoft Excel experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability Requirements:
- Ability to multi-task and manage priorities against key deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- The ability to communicate directly and work effectively in a dynamic work environment, including the ability to interact well with a variety of constituents
- Flexibility and creativity to tackle unforeseen operational challenges
- A strong work ethic, high initiative, and attention to detail
- Excellent written, communication and presentation skills and a friendly, service-oriented attitude
- Must be able to work independently, but contribute in a team-oriented environment
Salary Range - $130,000 - $160,000
The salary range is an estimate of pay for this position. Actual pay may vary depending on job-related factors that can include location, education, skill, and experience. The salary range does not include any benefits or other forms of possible compensation that may be available to employees.
Working out of 26 offices in 15 countries, StepStone has a truly global viewpoint. As people are our biggest asset, we offer resources to help our employees reach their full potential. Our principles are based on integrity, transparency, respect and creativity, which together define how we do business.
When you choose to work at StepStone, you’ll find a group of professionals who are passionate about anticipating changes, solving problems and working together to make it all happen. Our integrated global team shares insights into how managers think and operate, as well as how they might perform.
StepStone offers a competitive compensation package including salary and incentive compensation for all full time hires, as well as a comprehensive benefits package.
We offer a range of benefits which include comprehensive healthcare, strong retirement plan, a mental health well-being program, paid time off, student loan repayment program for our US office locations, and several wellness initiatives.
Disclaimer / Policy Statements
At StepStone, diversity, equity and inclusion are an integral part of our culture. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees and allows them to be heard, regardless of title or tenure. Our organizational community features multiple Employment Resource Groups representing our dedication to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, StepStone does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.