Starlink Engineering Manager
Materials Engineering, Insource Manufacturing
Confirmed live in the last 24 hours
Austin, TX, USA • West Athens, CA, USA
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering or technical discipline
- 2+ years of experience in a leadership position
- 3+ years of industry product or process design/development experience within production or integration systems
- Experience taking products from research and development into production
- Master's degree or PhD in an engineering discipline
- 5+ years of experience in a leadership position in a manufacturing environment
- Experience transitioning products from design to manufacturing and scaling to high volume as part of a cross-functional team
- Experience with manufacturing process like injection molding, CNC, die casting, stamping, assembly, and box build in a production setting and a good understanding of the costs and schedule and complexity associated with each process
- Experience defining and assessing quality standards associated with common manufacturing processes including drawing specifications, limit samples, and incoming/outgoing quality control points with a proven track-record of shepherding products from tool release to mass production
- Willingness to travel to other SpaceX sites and/or vendors for significant/extended periods of time (in excess of 50% of the time) including international
- Ability to lift up to 30 Ibs unassisted
- Standing/walking for long periods of time
- Willingness to work long hours and weekends as necessary to accommodate manufacturing and test campaigns
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here
- Lead a team of engineers responsible for the development of technologies relating to stamping, plastic injection molding and high pressure die casting manufacturing processes for Starlink hardware
- Act as a technical decision maker and advisor to the team on manufacturing techniques responsible for implementing turn-key processes to production that are capable of high volume throughput (2M+ per year)
- Create collaborative business plans with design engineering, upstream production, and support teams and develop and maintain positive supplier/customer relationships
- Identify, recruit, and develop individual contributor talent and leadership within the organization. Evaluate project scope according to team's skillset including labor and resourcing estimation
- Manage strategy for CapX, staffing, production line tooling, inventory, training and build process and ensure all are updated according to the latest design configuration
- Continually develop and manage engineering capacity, schedules, and project plans in order to support production manifest as well as a diverse and variable R&D demand
- Lead and refine the design for manufacturing process by collaborating with supply management, product design, industrial design, and manufacturing engineering groups on material selection, design feasibility and aesthetics of new plastic part & tooling designs
- Research and identify new materials, manufacturing technologies and finishing options
- Inform estimations of prototype and production manufacturing costs - tooling, secondary assembly, secondary finishing and piece part
- Publish and maintain detailed schedules for each development project segment
Designs, manufactures, & launches rockets and spacecrafts
SpaceX's mission is to make humanity multiplanetary. The company is working on a next generation of fully reusable launch vehicles that will be the most powerful ever built, capable of carrying humans to Mars and other destinations in the solar system.
- Benefits and Perks - Our employees’ well-being is important to us and essential to our capacity to do extraordinary things. We offer a wide variety of programs to support the health, wellness, and financial security of our employees and their families.
Company Core Values
- Make History - SpaceX has gained worldwide attention for a series of historic milestones. It is the only private company capable of returning a spacecraft from low-Earth orbit, and in 2012 our Dragon spacecraft became the first commercial spacecraft to deliver cargo to and from the International Space Station. And in 2020, SpaceX became the first private company to take humans there as well.
- Reusability - SpaceX believes a fully and rapidly reusable rocket is the pivotal breakthrough needed to substantially reduce the cost of space access. The majority of the launch cost comes from building the rocket, which historically has flown only once.
- Landing - SpaceX’s family of Falcon launch vehicles are the first and only orbital class rockets capable of reflight. Depending on the performance required for the mission, Falcon lands on one of our autonomous spaceport droneships out on the ocean or one of our landing zones near our launch pads.