Cityblock is the preeminent value-based care provider focused primarily on high needs populations, specifically Medicaid and Dual Eligible beneficiaries. We enter into full risk, global capitation contracts and are accountable for managing total cost of care for almost 100,000 members across six states. At Cityblock, our Actuary and Healthcare Economics teams are strategic functions that provide critical input and thought leadership on the company’s growth path, contracting and pricing structures, and business priorities.
We are searching for a Chief Actuary Officer to serve as a key member of our corporate leadership team, leading the Actuary and Health Economics functions. This individual will be responsible for overseeing financial settlements with our partners; providing membership, revenue and claims estimates for accurate financial closes; developing and executing our reinsurance and risk management strategy; negotiating new contracts for Cityblock that maximally achieve our financial and operational objectives; supporting the assessment of new business and strategic opportunities; and identifying trends and drivers of the company’s operational, clinical and financial performance. The Chief Actuary will partner closely with leaders across the organization and represent Cityblock externally with our partners and in new contract negotiations.
Cityblock’s Chief Actuary must be a technically excellent actuary with deep expertise in Medicaid, Medicare Advantage / Duals (e.g., D-SNP, MMP) programs, and value-based care. The ideal candidate will have a keen eye for detail and a differentiated ability to draw insights from and make decisions using both quantitative and qualitative inputs. Importantly, he or she must be a strong people leader who can attract and retain world-class talent. The Chief Actuary will report to Cityblock’s CFO.
- Lead team of actuaries and analysts across three verticals: Valuation Actuary, Growth Actuary, and Healthcare Economics
- Provide accurate, timely revenue and claims accruals for financial close. Manage an excellent month-end valuation process with tight controls and scalable processes. Develop strong collaboration with health plan partners to support accurate accruals and timely settlements.
- Oversee the Company’s reinsurance and risk management strategies, ensuring that they evolve appropriately with Cityblock as the company grows.
- In partnership with the CFO, ensure every contract Cityblock signs meets the Company’s financial and strategic objectives, with sufficient downside protection. Represent Cityblock externally as a member of commercial negotiation teams. Serve as a key member of the Senior Deal Desk, which recommends and approves all new contracts and growth opportunities for Cityblock.
- Evaluate the efficacy of Cityblock’s clinical and operational programs. Partner closely with stakeholders to articulate the drivers of Cityblock’s financial and clinical performance, and identify opportunities for additional impact.
- In partnership with the SVP Finance and operational / clinical leadership, forecast business performance and develop the medical and operating plans to meet annual and long-range objectives.
- Assess new business opportunities. Provide qualitative and quantitative input to executive leadership to inform company strategic decisions.
Requirements for the Role:
- You are an experienced executive and manager with 14+ years of relevant work experience in progressive healthcare and actuarial leadership roles. Consulting experience preferred.
- You are a credentialed actuary (FSA preferred).
- You have experience in value based care. You understand Medicaid, Medicare and Dual-Eligible programs, populations, risk adjustment and rate methodologies.
- You understand the key business drivers and motivators for all major stakeholders in healthcare including health plans, providers, State and Federal governments, and ACOs.
- You are a fantastic people manager, with a proven track record of hiring well and maintaining and developing talent.
- You are methodical, thorough and meticulous.
- You bring a “systems” mindset to your job. You enjoy building scalable processes and implementing new tools that are designed for growth and robust at scale.
- You have excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, and can build deep relationships with diverse functional leadership.
- You have a strong executive presence and can serve as a credible and thoughtful representative of Cityblock in commercial negotiations and with ongoing customer/partner relationships.
- You are hands-on and not afraid to dive into the details.
- You are passionate about our mission and excited by how this role will drive the company’s success.
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.
We take into account an individual’s qualifications, skillset, and experience in determining final salary. This role is eligible for health insurance, life insurance, retirement benefits, participation in the company’s equity program, paid time off, including vacation and sick leave. The expected salary range for this position is $190,512.00 to $294,000.00. The actual offer will be at the company’s sole discretion and determined by relevant business considerations, including the final candidate’s qualifications, years of experience, skillset, and geographic location.
Medical Clearance (for Member-Facing Roles):
You must complete Cityblock’s medical clearance requirements, which include, but may not be limited to, evidence of immunity to MMR, Hepatitis B, Varicella, and a TB screen, or have an approved medical or religious accommodation that precludes you from being vaccinated against these diseases.
Covid 19 Update - Please Read:
Cityblock requires those hired into this position to provide proof that they have received the COVID-19 vaccine. Any individuals subject to this requirement may submit for consideration a request to be exempted from the requirement (based on a valid religious or medical reason) on forms to be provided by Cityblock. Such requests will be subject to review and approval by the Company, and exemptions will be granted only if the Company can provide a reasonable accommodation in relation to the requested exemption. Note that approvals for reasonable accommodations are reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis and availability of a reasonable accommodation is not guaranteed. This vaccination requirement is based, in part, on recently established government requirements. The requirement is also based on the safety and effectiveness of the vaccine in protecting against COVID-19, and our shared responsibility for the health and safety of members, colleagues, and community.
The COVID-19 pandemic has severely impacted the health and lives of people around the world, including the vulnerable populations Cityblock serves. As a healthcare provider, Cityblock holds ourselves to the highest standards when promoting the health and safety of those who we serve. Given that the COVID-19 vaccines are one of the most powerful tools to fight this disease and save lives, Cityblock is implementing a COVID-19 booster mandate for Washington, D.C. employees under the guidance of local/state mandates.