Director – Sales Planning and Strategy
Posted on 2/9/2024
Global talent acquisition and payroll management service
AIP Connect stands out as a company that values integrity, industry knowledge, and a strong network, working tirelessly to find the perfect match for each client. Their unique business model allows them to place an AIP employee within a client's office, providing a constant stream of talent without the additional costs of benefits or bonuses. With a proven track record of sourcing talent globally, they are equipped to meet the diverse needs of businesses facing hiring freezes, tight budgets, or short-term projects.
Growth & Insights
6 month growth↑ 15%
1 year growth↑ 53%
2 year growth↑ 64%
North York, Toronto, ON, Canada
Business & Strategy
Growth & Marketing
- University degree in Business Administration, Marketing, or similar discipline
- 10+ years of experience in CPG, sales, sales planning, category and/or trade marketing
- Strong understanding of consumer-packaged goods industry, retail channels, and account-specific marketing
- Leadership experience in managing and coaching others
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Experience in the organic/health food industry is a plus
- Bilingual in English & French is an asset
- Lead sales strategy for the Canadian business, focusing on channel/customer strategy, innovation launch plans, and go-to-market strategies
- Lead the Annual Operating Plan process and provide key inputs and POV around key strategic focus areas
- Oversee Annual Sales Planning Process and coordinate cross-functional Annual Planning materials for various teams
- Work with cross-functional teams and Sales team to drive profitable growth on existing customers and identify opportunities with new customers
- Assess risks and opportunities across the Canadian market and analyze data to identify trends and opportunities
- Ensure category stories and new item stories are created with a customer lens
- Develop strong customer plans and drive strong retail execution with the sales team
- Maintain a high level of brand and category expertise
- Develop and refine processes across the sales team to drive simplicity, consistency, and ownership/accountability
- Coordinate and oversee forecast calls, leading the S&OP reviews and avoiding sales-driven waste
- Work with the US team regarding sharing best practices and functional skills development across the region
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Experience in the organic/health food industry
- Bilingual in English & French
*Our client is a purpose-driven snacking company committed to creating delicious and nutritious snacks that fuel and inspire people to live their best lives. Their products are made with high-quality, sustainable ingredients, and they strive to make a positive impact on both our customers and the planet.
**This position requires 4 days a week in office, located in North York, Ontario.
Position Summary & Objective:
The Director of Sales Planning & Strategy acts as the focal point for all communication with the sales team as well as sales function partners, being the “voice of sales” with the cross-functional teams, while at the same time helping to drive focus on sales execution against brand strategies and initiatives with the sales team.
The Director of Sales Planning & Strategy assesses and leads the sales strategy for the Canadian business as a key lead in refining the channel and customer sales strategy, linking company objectives to sales via annual planning and developing business-building programs.
This role is in a fast-paced, creative environment; it offers an opportunity to be part of building a rapidly growing business, while actively contributing towards strategy and execution. This role is on the Canadian Commercial team, reporting directly to the Vice President of Commercial (Canada & International markets), while leading and managing The Sales Planning & Strategy team (team of 4).
- Lead sales strategy for the Canadian business with a focus on tightening channel/customer strategy, innovation launch plans, and go-to-market strategies.
- Sales Lead for the Annual Operating Plan process, providing key inputs and POV around key strategic focus areas.
- Oversee Annual Sales Planning Process to help develop and coordinate cross-functional Annual Planning materials for Marketing, Innovation, Trade Marketing, Category Management, Operations, and Finance teams.
- Work with cross-functional teams and Sales team to drive profitable growth on existing customers; while scoping out and identifying opportunities with new customers.
- Lead the team in assessing risks and opportunities across the Canadian market.
- Lead the team in analyzing data to identify trends and opportunities, with a particular focus on sales-driven metrics such as distribution, shelving, merchandising & pricing.
- Ensure category stories and new item stories are created with a customer lens.
- Develop strong customer plans and drive strong retail execution with the sales team while consistently and clearly communicating key strategies/initiatives and determining appropriate KPI’s to track and measure retail execution performance.
- Maintain a high level of brand and category expertise.
- Communication lead for internal information- creation and oversight of SharePoint communications site.
- Develop and refine processes across the sales team to drive simplicity, consistency, and ownership/accountability.
- Coordination and oversight of forecast calls- leading the S&OP reviews and avoiding sales-driven waste (ex. liquidations).
- Work with the US team regarding sharing best practices and functional skills development across the region.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Education & Qualifications:
- University degree required (Bachelor of Commerce/Business Administration, Marketing, or similar discipline).
- 10+ years of experience in CPG, with roles in both sales and sales planning, category and/or trade marketing.
- Strong understanding of the consumer-packaged goods industry, retail channels, and account-specific marketing.
- Must have a strong understanding of cross-functional roles and how to partner with them (marketing, finance, operations, etc.)
- Knowledge of trade marketing and trade spending as well as experience with a broad base of retail customers (chain and wholesaler ideally as well).
- Leadership experience: managed and coached others.
Skills & Abilities:
- Strong capability to develop the success of direct reports while creating and maintaining a high-performance team through a collaborative, engaging, fun, and welcoming atmosphere.
- Comfortable with change and highly adaptable/agile.
- Strong analytics background and comfortable working with a wide range of data sources.
- An excellent communicator who thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- Results-orientated and entrepreneurial.
- Strong in planning, facilitation, problem analysis, and decision-making.
- Detailed thinker and ability to influence internally and externally.
- Strong coordination and OWNERSHIP within cross-functional teams.
- TEAM player with a positive attitude.
- PASSIONATE, with a desire to learn and collaborate.
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills, self-starter with a high level of initiative and ADAPTABILITY.
- Demonstrates HUMILITY throughout the company daily.
- Aptitude to exhibit RESPECT and protect the company’s Core Values in a changing environment (values guidebook to be shared).
- A dependable leader with strong collaboration, sensitivity, objectivity, and integrity.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient computer knowledge: Microsoft Office, Work, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc
- Experience in the organic / health food industry a plus.
- Bilingual in English & French is an asset.
AIP Connect believes in equal opportunity. Our recruitment consultants are committed to inclusive recruitment and selection practices and will not discriminate based on age, colour, ability, national origin, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation.
Accessibility: If you need any accommodations during the interview process, please let us know.