Our mission is to reverse climate change and return the atmosphere to 280 ppm CO₂, profitably. We convert waste biomass into carbon-rich bio-oil and inject it into permanent, underground storage as carbon removal, or reform the bio-oil to produce syngas for fossil-free steel.
Our carbon removal pathway took off in 2020 with initial purchases from customers like Stripe, Shopify & Microsoft. In 2021 and 2022 we delivered thousands of tons of carbon removal via off-the-shelf pathways, and also deployed our first R&D prototype pyrolyzer of our own. In the next 18 months, we’ll build and deploy the next pyrolyzer revision, demonstrate our fossil-free ironmaking pilot, substantially expand our operations in Colorado and put thousands of tonnes of CO₂e underground.
We’re looking to expand our team of ambitious creative and hands-on engineers, fabricators, operators, and forward-thinking humans. We value psychological safety and collaboration. We take calculated risks and don’t sweep mistakes under the rug; instead, we pin them to the wall and learn from them. We value that everyone’s unique backgrounds and perspectives shape their work. We encourage you to read our company values
Come help us reverse climate change. Gigatons or bust!
About this role
Charm Industrial is looking for a Field Operations Engineer to join our team. In this position, you will be the go-to for our fleet of mobile, field-deployed pyrolyzers– you’ll fight climate change on the front lines! You will be responsible for not only learning about and operating the machines, but also building a team to eventually operate the fleet 24/7. The ideal candidate will blend strategic thinking and team building with their technical ability, and excel in fast paced environments with hands on problem solving skills. We are growing quickly and over time this role can have valuable input on strategic initiatives like geographic expansion of the fleet. This role will be critical in successfully scaling our bio-oil production and getting to Gigaton-scale carbon removal!
- Manage and directly support the continuous operation of field-deployed units. This will look like troubleshooting downtime, tracking and performing routine maintenance, and serving as operator and onsite support where needed.
- Work with teammates in Operations, Sales and Policy to schedule unit deployments based on biomass availability and supplier priorities. Work directly with third parties to determine details like pad layout, utility availability (e.g. power, personnel facilities), safe operational requirements, and community engagement, as needed.
- Become an expert on pyrolyzer operation in order to develop robust operating and maintenance procedures and to train operators and technicians.
- Perform operational data collection, e.g. maintain a time log, record fuel consumption, describe anomalies. Analyze the data on a regular basis in order to determine maintenance solutions and to support decisions about how to grow the fleet.
- Serve as the eyes and ears of the operation, providing valuable insight when troubleshooting design and operational challenges. Determine test plans and proposed solutions, based on your insight.
- Build a team of operators and technicians to support the safe and productive growth of the fleet.
- Experience with thermal, electrical and/or mechanical processes and hardware such as work experience in oil & gas, aerospace, automotive or chemicals manufacturing.
- 4+ years of experience in a relevant field or industry
- While not a requirement, experience building and managing a team of operators or direct reports would be considered an asset.
- Familiarity with safe work practices and comfortable enforcing safe work practices on job sites.
- While not a requirement, experience in or with a research lab, pilot plant or test stand would be considered an asset.
- While not a requirement, experience working around hazardous gases, combustibles, and/or high energy systems would be considered an asset.
- An ability to wrangle complex interdependencies, be they human, chemical, mechanical and/or electrical.
- Ability to collaborate with teammates with a wide range of experience and knowledge.
- Have a proactive, professional and “can do” attitude.
- Desire to wear multiple hats with an organized, efficient working style.
- A demonstrated passion for contributing to our mission.
This role is located at our Fort Lupton, CO Miniforge, and is not open for remote work. Compensation is $121K to $152K per year, plus benefits described below.
What We Offer
· Stock options
· Medical and dental insurance
· Traditional and Roth 401k
· Paid parental leave managed through Cocoon
- A yearly professional development stipend
· Healthy snacks and lunches
· A sweet workplace (both SF Minifactory and CO Miniforge!) with lots of space inside and out
· A chance to pivot into a role in climate!
Visa Sponsorship Policy
Since we are a small startup, certain accommodations for visa sponsorship may not be within our capability. At this time, Charm Industrial is only sponsoring E3 and TN visas.
The nature of our work requires the vast majority of our team to be in-person full time. As the COVID-19 pandemic has evolved, we’ve continuously adapted our safety policy to keep our team safe and productive. Our current safety policy requires the attestation of COVID-19 vaccination to work at Charm. Additionally, we ask that all of our employees and visitors stay home and rest if they have any cold/flu/covid/sickness symptoms.
Charm Industrial is an equal opportunity employer with a firm commitment to growing our team in an inclusive way, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The consequences of climate change inherently affect some more than others, and we need a diverse team to help us save our little planet most effectively & justly. We are excited about all of those who choose to apply, and for those who end up joining us, to see how you better us as a team and company. We are more than the sum of our parts.