Performance Engineer Intern
Summer 2023, Remote Available
Posted on 9/21/2022
Seattle, WA, USA • San Francisco, CA, USA • Raleigh, NC, USA • Santa Clara...
Data Structures & Algorithms
- Actively pursuing a Bachelor's, Master's, or PhD in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or a related technical field, and a strong record of academic achievement
- Applicants should have a minimum of one quarter/semester remaining in their studies after their internship concludes
- The Splunk internship program runs for a minimum of 10 weeks, up to a maximum of 12 consecutive weeks with start dates between May and June 2023. Applicants should be available to participate full-time (40 hours/week) in an internship during this time
- Knowledge of software engineering processes, agile framework, tools (e.g.: programming proficiency in a language, preferably Python), methods, test development, algorithms and data structures
- Familiarity with object-oriented programming concepts, large-scale software architecture, networking and distributed systems, and UNIX/Linux environments
- Collaborate with peers, field teams, and customers to understand and encapsulate the use cases into industry standard benchmarks
- Work with Performance Stability & Reliability (PSR) senior leads and involve in customer engagement proof-of-concept projects to get direct exposure to the usage patterns we strive to satisfy
- Drive projects to integrate benchmarking into our continuous integration and test automation frameworks. At Splunk, each and every release of our software is highly scrutinized to meet the demands of our customers
- Define, code and perform performance/scalability benchmarks on Splunk Enterprise and Cloud products
- Work with various profiling tools to identify performance and concurrency bottlenecks, and propose and implement optimizations to improve the Splunk product
- Code and improve sizing and capacity calculators for key Splunk applications on the cloud
- Experience with scripting languages (Python) and compiled languages (C/C++) is a plus
- Familiarity with tools and technologies like Git, AWS, Linux, Docker and Artifactory is a plus
- Experience in tackling problems of load, scale, and optimizations of complex large-scale deployments is a plus
- Ability to find root cause of performance bottlenecks with profiling tools, pstack, qmlprofiler is a plus
Data management & visualization platform
Splunk's mission is to address the challenges and opportunities of managing massive streams of machine-generated big data. Splunk is the leading software platform for machine data that enables customers to gain real-time Operational Intelligence.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance plans for regular, full-time U.S. employees — choose the best plans for you and your family. Plus: Health Savings Account (HSA), Life insurance and survivor benefits, Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), Business travel and accident insurance, Voluntary Critical Illness & Hospital Indemnity
- Eligible employees enjoy: 401(k) Plan with a company match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP), Equity awards, Bonus or commission program
- We support you and your family: Paid parental leave, Mother rooms and wellness rooms, Family Planning
- Your work/life balance is important to us, that's why we offer: 16 company holidays, 15 vacation days, 10 sick days, 10 bereavement days, 5 volunteer days
- Ensuring our employees' success goes beyond insurance plans: Education reimbursement, Electric car charging stations, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Stocked kitchens, Gym discounts/onsite fitness centers, Pet insurance discount, Student loan resources, Cool workspace with collaborative environments, 529 College Savings Plan
Company Core Values
- Innovative: We’re passionate about our customer success. We keep our energy laser-focused on giving our customers the best possible and most trustworthy experience, driven ultimately by integrity. After all, we’d be nothing without them.
- Open: We never stop learning or striving to create a positive impact. The work we do matters. We innovate at warp speed to disrupt the world's notion of what’s possible.
- Disruptive: We are humble and value openness and honesty. We speak our truths mindfully and in consideration of others. Candor is cool - respect is required.
- Fun: We embrace the ride (preferably in a Splunk t-shirt). We take our work seriously, but not ourselves. We weave an irreverent and infectious sense of fun into everything we do.
- Passionate: We cultivate an inclusive environment where all backgrounds are celebrated. Striving for equity and embracing our individual uniqueness is our secret sauce. And it will only make us stronger.
- #WeAreSplunk: We represent many functions and regions but are one team. We value each other's efforts and moonshot ideas. And we celebrate highs, and learn from lows, together. We trust and rely on each other. Remember: There’s no “I” in Splunk.