We’re Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
In our cars, you’re free to be yourself. It’s the same here at Cruise. We’re creating a culture that values the experiences and contributions of all of the unique individuals who collectively make up Cruise, so that every employee can do their best work.
Cruise is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment, both in our workplace and in our products. If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, come join us. Even if you might not meet every requirement, we strongly encourage you to apply. You might just be the right candidate for us.
The Vehicle Connectivity Infrastructure team builds robust wireless connectivity interfaces between the AV system and the outside world. We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer who’ll be responsible for designing, documenting, and implementing highly scalable, low-latency software for next generation Telematics and Wireless connectivity devices. This is a unique opportunity to develop mission-critical software that provides seamless and robust connectivity to our fleet all over the world.
What you’ll be doing:
- Write high performance software running on components such as Telematics and Connectivity devices (WiFi, LTE, Bluetooth, and GPS) for the autonomous vehicle system that ensure functionality, performance and safety when integrated into the broader system and provide critical functionality for overall vehicle communication
- Develop application layer and middleware software in C++ to interface with next generation wireless connectivity hardware on the vehicle
- Improve and deliver reliable software through requirements generation, continuous integration, automated testing, issue tracking, and code reviews
- Collaborate with Systems Engineering, Program Management, Product Management and peer software teams to develop critical connectivity features for the autonomous vehicle
- Contribute to the roadmap and software planning activities within the team, helping drive the vision of how the team should evolve
- Work with cross-functional teams to define the system-level architecture for the implementation of our future generations of the Telematics unit
- Initiate large projects with complex design breaking them down to the right logical components to optimize software stack and support scalability. Deliver these projects through incremental development
- Guide and mentor developers on the team
What you must have:
- 10+ years of proven experience writing production-quality software for Bare Metal, RTOS or Linux-based devices
- Experience with C++11 or later or similar object oriented language
- Experience with Linux cellular telephony stack or modem/connectivity managers
- Experience with one or more of the following wireless connectivity software stacks: WiFi, Bluetooth, and/or GPS
- Experience developing on and for Embedded Linux / POSIX system
- Experience mentoring and developing team members on software development best practices
- Experience working with Linux networking
- Experience with Linux WiFi stack and WPA Supplicant
- Experience with Bluetooth stack and various Bluetooth profiles
- Experience working with I2C , I2S , UART and SPI
- Experience with Python Embedded build systems, such as buildroot, meson and bazel
- Experience with ROS or other robotics middleware platforms
- Experience with safety critical development (FDA, FAA, Automotive)
The salary range for this position is $170,000 - 250,000. Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. You may also be offered a bonus, restricted stock units, and benefits. These ranges are subject to change.
Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care, and medical leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- CruiseFlex, a working policy for US-Based Cruisers, lets you and your manager find the working style that’s best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home, or a combination of home and in-office time. - learn more about CruiseFlex here
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price, and Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow. We offer a new kind of equity program called Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO), which combines IPO-like liquidity with the stability of remaining private - learn more about RLO here
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives. We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, caste, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email [email protected].
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Candidates applying for roles that operate and remotely operate the AV: Licensed to drive a motor vehicle in the U.S. for the three years immediately preceding your application, currently holding an active in-state regular driver’s license or equivalent, and no more than one point on driving record. A successful completion of a background check, drug screen and DMV Motor Vehicle Record check is also required.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.