Are you a product-focused engineering leader passionate about hiring and scaling high performance teams? Do you consider yourself a skilled and empathic manager? Do you enjoy leading people, collaborating with cross-functional teams, and improving software development practices? Have you mentored, coached and provided a clear framework for growth for your team members? We might have the perfect opportunity for you.
About the Position
ChowNow’s Engineering Team has built a modern platform enabling restaurant owners to accept pickup and delivery orders online. Our “quality product first” approach to engineering contributes to our success and brand recognition. We are growing our engineering team to meet the demand of the many exciting new products and features on our roadmap.
We’re looking for an experienced software engineering leader to join our growing engineering team. As a Senior Engineering Manager, you will help us launch reliable and stable products and support new initiatives to continuously improve the experience of our users. You will shape the product, the software architecture, the development process, and the culture.
Most importantly, you will motivate, encourage and lead your team to success, by finding growth opportunities, providing constructive feedback, and combining challenge and support to get the best out of your colleagues. You will be vital in fostering an engineering culture based on collaboration, inclusion, support, measuring and tracking results, and constant improvement.
This position will lead a team of backend engineers who are focused on supporting and extending ChowNow’s existing integration partners as well as be responsible for building integrations with new 3rd parties including point-of-sale (POS) systems and aggregators. Your team will be responsible for an important part of ChowNow’s business strategy and execute on a broad and impactful set of deliverables. In addition, you and your team will support our engineering-driven initiatives for platform scale.
You will report to the Sr. Backend Engineering Manager and will have 3 direct reports.
About the Team:
ChowNow’s vision is to become the leading North American platform connecting diners and independent restaurants for at-home dining. The ChowNow Platform continues to grow its product offerings and bring restaurants and diners closer together. Our marketplace provides commission-free ordering for restaurants nationwide and diners with an ever-growing selection of independent restaurants. Our demand network provides diners with the ability to order where they’re already online, including Google, Yelp, Instagram, Snap, and many others. And our white-labeled online ordering system provides restaurants with a branded experience for diners on their website and their own iOS and Android apps for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. To date, we’ve created over 20,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners and the same goes for our culture.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. We pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. As we expand to new markets, while scaling responsibly, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase.
Join us and help ensure ChowNow becomes the diner’s first choice for socially responsible online ordering. Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
WHAT WE LOVE ABOUT YOU:
You put restaurants first. You deeply understand the importance of local restaurants and put them at the center of everything you do. You aim to help them not only survive but thrive.
You celebrate diversity. You recognize that diversity and inclusivity matter. You’re committed to progress, which means everyone gets the support and resources they need, no matter who they are. You have an ability to listen to other team members’ ideas and can thrive in an environment that embraces individuality. Everyone’s voice counts.
You raise your hand. You consistently go above and beyond what is asked of you. You help your peers accomplish their tasks while also excelling at accomplishing your own. When you have a smart idea, you raise your hand and share it.
You keep reaching. You set clear ambitious goals. You don’t allow yourself to become complacent with where you’re at and what you’ve done, so you seek out new opportunities and challenges.
What Success Looks Like:
Within 1 Month, You’ll...
- Complete our ChowNow onboarding (Ramp Camp) where you’ll learn the ins and outs about ChowNow and our products.
- Get to know people - your direct team of Backend Engineers as well as the rest of the Engineering organization, Product, and Design.
- Join team stand-ups, sprint planning, grooming, and more in order to get familiar with the overall product and team processes.
- Familiarize yourself with the end to end development process and SDLC.
- Spend deep dive time with the team to learn more about the core products and how they all fit together.
Within 3 Months, You’ll...
- Through 1:1s and team sessions, start to understand your team members’ areas of strength and opportunity, in order to be able to provide career guidance and performance reviews.
- Understand how business goals and PCI compliance affect our internal processes.
- Understand our integration services and APIs and how our partners interact with our backend.
- Build a technology roadmap and collaborate with others on interweaving this with the product roadmap.
- Develop strong relationships with Engineering Leadership and Product peers.
- Review product requirements and design documents, perform code reviews and weigh in on implementation choices.
Within 6 Months, You’ll...
- Collaborate on defining high-level technology roadmap addressing tech debt, product roadmap, and other needs.
- Provide on-going constructive feedback and guidance to your team members and as part of performance reviews.
- Support and collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure consistent application of engineering practices.
- Lead evolution of software development process and practices supporting growth of the team and new product initiatives.
You Should Apply If:
- You have at least 10 years of software engineering experience, including at least 3 years experience as a manager with direct reports.
- You have hands-on experience building scalable backend services.
- You have experience building and launching applications at scale using AWS technologies.
- You have developed, launched and supported large scale B2B and B2C SaaS products.
- You have worked with point-of-sale (POS) system integrations such as Square or Toast.
- You have a passion for team building and a track record of recruiting, onboarding and fostering high-performing engineering teams.
- You know how to partner with Product, Design, QA and other Engineering Leaders to build compelling products in an Agile environment.
- You care about the quality of work your team produces.
- You are a fan of rapid iteration and experimentation. You think about failures as a learning opportunity.
- You know how to capitalize on the diverse strengths of the people around you.
- You are a thoughtful mentor and leader who loves supporting your team and collaborating with others to achieve great things.
- You have a point of view but encourage and welcome critiques.
- You thrive in environments supporting your growth, and where you can support others.
- You are passionate with a contagious energy, encouraging those around you to pursue their goals.
ABOUT OUR BENEFITS:
- Expected base salary: $247,000 - $273,000
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities.
- A "Best Place to Work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience.
- Up to $450 office equipment reimbursement to enable you to do your best work by setting up your home office.
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans.
- Mental Health Coverage - we offer several programs to support your mental health and wellness goals.
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 7 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 8 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave.
- 401(k) Matching
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program.
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool).
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan.
- Pet insurance for your fur babies
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion).
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly.
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable.
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap in our satellite offices.
As one of ChowNow’s core values, “Celebrates Diversity”, we are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
We are committed to developing a barrier-free recruitment process and work environment, if you require any accommodation, please let us know at your earliest convenience and we’ll work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
about your California privacy rights.