Senior Data Scientist
Updated on 2/7/2024
Automated investment management and financial advisory service
Wealthsimple stands out as a desirable place to work due to its commitment to transparent and client-focused financial advising, with its team of fiduciaries obligated to provide unbiased information. The company's competitive edge lies in its simplified approach to investing, making it accessible to a wider audience. Furthermore, Wealthsimple's industry leadership is evident in its managed investing services, demonstrating technical innovation in the financial sector.
Growth & Insights
6 month growth↑ 10%
1 year growth↑ 7%
2 year growth↓ -2%
Data Structures & Algorithms
AI & Machine Learning
Data & Analytics
- 5+ years of experience with Python and SQL
- Strong understanding of statistics and machine learning algorithms
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical teams
- Partner with Investing Product team to drive strategic vision
- Build robust data models in cloud data warehouse
- Apply statistical techniques and machine learning models to inform product decisions
- Translate business requirements into data models and analysis
- Adopt software engineering best practices for analytics code base
- Take ownership and ship work
- Work remotely from anywhere in Canada
- Experience with Pandas, scikit-learn, numpy, and Jupyter
- Experience with Bayesian approaches
- Ability to manage complexity and change effectively
- Eager to teach and learn from the team
- Constantly seeking feedback for self-improvement
Your career is an investment that grows over time!
Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom by reimagining what it means to manage your money. Using smart technology, we take financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and make them transparent and low-cost for everyone. We’re the largest fintech company in Canada, with over 3 million users who trust us with more than $30 billion in assets.
Our teams ship often and make an impact with groundbreaking ideas. We’re looking for talented people who keep it simple and value collaboration and humility as we continue to create inclusive and high-performing teams where people can be inspired to do their best work.
About the team
Our Data Science team is responsible for enabling data-driven decision making and building data products at Wealthsimple. We are building a high quality and scalable state-of-the-art data warehouse that powers all decision making, leveraging machine learning and algorithms to help Wealthsimple build smarter financial products, and using decision science to understand the cause and effect of our business decisions.
Joining the team, you will partner with product managers in the Investing domain to drive decision making at the heart of our business. Your work will have an immediate impact for our customers by influencing the product direction across Stocks, Options, Private Credit, and Managed Investing.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Partner with our Investing Product team to work on some of Wealthsimple’s highest priority efforts
- Build robust, efficient, and integrated data models in our cloud data warehouse that will be used as the source of truth for analytics across the Investing product organization
- Apply statistical techniques and build machine learning models to solve real life product problems and to inform product decisions and strategies
- Apply software engineering best practices like version control and continuous integration to the analytics code base; ensure data models are well tested, documented and maintained
- Translate business requirements into data models and analysis that will help stakeholders answer key business questions and inform strategic decisions
- Continuously look for the simplest, most effective way to approach challenges; Occam’s razor is your friend
- Take ownership and ship it
- Work where you are (while our Canadian offices are located in Toronto, we are a remote-first workforce and you can join from anywhere in Canada!)
Skills we are looking for:
- Strong business acumen and product sense with the ability to help drive strategic vision as a Senior Data Scientist
- Excellent Python & SQL skills, 5+ years of first hand experience working with popular Python libraries such as Pandas, scikit-learn, numpy and Jupyter
- Strong understanding of statistics: both frequentist and Bayesian approaches
- Strong understanding of fundamental machine-learning algorithms: regression and decision trees
We are looking for someone who:
- Is able to articulate their stance in a manner that effectively communicates why a solution could be the best way forward
- Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and effectively manages complexity and change
- Has exceptional communication skills and is able to communicate effectively to both technical and non-technical teams
- Plans, organizes, schedules, and budgets in an efficient, productive manner
- Is eager to teach and learn from your team. We value making each other successful!
- Is a lifelong learner. You’re constantly seeking and welcoming feedback to continue improving yourself and your craft
🤑 Competitive Salary with top-tier health benefits and life insurance
📈 Retirement savings matching plan using Wealthsimple Work
🌴 20 vacation days per year and unlimited sick and mental health days
📚 Up to $1500 per year towards wellness and professional development budgets respectively
🛫 90 days away program: Employees can work internationally in eligible countries for up to 90 days per calendar year
🌎 A wide variety of peer and company-led Employee Resource Groups (ie. Rainbow, Women of Wealthsimple, Black @ WS)
💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
We’re a remote-first team, with over 1000 employees coast to coast in North America. Be a part of our Canadian success story and help shape the financial future of millions — join us!
At Wealthsimple, we are building products for a diverse world and we need a diverse team to do that successfully. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know, and we will work with you to provide the necessary support and make reasonable accommodations to facilitate your participation. We are continuously working to improve our accessibility practices and welcome any feedback or suggestions on how we can better accommodate candidates with accessibility needs.