REGENT is building the seaglider; the first electric flying machine that will transport commercial passengers. With a vehicle that never flies higher than a few meters off the water, we unlock the ability to fly twice as far as an electric aircraft, and certification by maritime authorities which will let us fly first passengers within 5 years.
We are actively hiring passionate team members who can help us get our vehicle to market as quickly and safely as possible. We are backed by the world’s best investors: the same investors who are behind SpaceX, Palantir, Boom Supersonic, and more. We have over $6B in provisional orders from some of the industry’s largest operators and are hitting the ground running.
Working at REGENT, you’ll be in a fast-paced environment with exciting new challenges daily and abundant opportunities for growth. Your coworkers are passionate about building zero-emission, high-speed seagliders that will revolutionize coastal transportation. Our small team works collaboratively and across disciplines to safely marry the latest technologies from aviation, aerospace and nautical engineering. REGENT offers competitive benefits including healthcare, dental, and vision plans as well as an employee equity incentive plan.
As a senior software engineer, you will architect, roadmap, prototype, and realize a perception system to allow our seagliders to perceive the external environment, internal state of the vehicle, and operator intent! These vehicles will have novel control and autonomous functionality across multiple operational modes: hull-borne, hydrofoil-borne, and wing-borne. Our vehicle will need to detect traffic, waves, and submerged obstacles to enable operations in all conditions. This role includes rapidly prototyping innovative perception solutions, performing trade studies and data collection on sensor solutions, and hands on integration of the perception system into vehicles.
You will have a leading role in the system architecture and the development of associated toolsets along with building out our engineering team to bring the design to life. You will design and utilize high-fidelity simulations and live-sea trials to verify and validate the software. As the perception system will be a safety-related component of the seaglider, software will be developed using RTCA DO-178C processes for design assurance under a SAE ARP4754A aerospace vehicle design process. You will work closely with various engineering disciplines including but not limited to flight controls engineers, systems engineers, hydrodynamics engineers, and flight software engineers. As the design matures, you will be involved in subscale and full scale prototype development and testing as well as production craft development, testing, and certification.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Passion for aviation/aerospace, strong leadership and organization skills
- MS or PH.D in computer science or related engineering discipline
- 6+ years of experience in aviation, aerospace or applicable software field (e.g., Robotics, Automotive)
- C/C++ and Python coding expertise
- Hands on experience with sensor selection, evaluation, and integration
- Expertise in sensor fusion, state estimation, target tracking, and uncertainty modeling
- Experience designing systems for multimodal Sensor Fusion and Calibration using multiple grade sensors including but not limited to Cameras, LiDARs, Acoustic/Sonar, GNSS, IMUs and Radars
- Some background in autonomy system design, including actuation/propulsion, path planning, decision making, and user interfaces
- Excellent analytical and program solving skills, excellent written and oral communication, self-starter and highly motivated
Bonus Points For
- 10+ years relevant work experience
- Experience with DO-178C or DO-254 development processes
- Track record of driving perception projects from start to completion, including conception, problem definition, design, sensor evaluation, experimentation, iteration, and finally productization
- Experience with perception and sensor design, integration, and test in a maritime environment
- Development of safety critical components under ARP4754A and ARP4761
- System quality through rigorous software test, verification and validation (V&V) techniques
- Flight test or sea trials experience
- FAA pilot’s license or boating/sailing experience
We welcome applicants who may not align perfectly with all required skills and experience as there may be opportunity to grow into the specific responsibilities of the role.
This is a full-time on-site role based at our new purpose-built seaglider development facility in North Kingstown, RI (20 minutes south of Providence, RI and just over an hour south of Boston, MA). We expect in-office presence 3+ days a week. Lunch is provided daily.
What’s in it for you?
REGENT is committed to providing our employees with benefits to support their complete well-being, from excellent health, dental and vision insurance, to an unlimited vacation policy.
Our benefits include*:
- 100% of annual premiums covered for healthcare, dental, and vision insurance
- HSA plans available
- Paid parental leave
- Employee equity incentive plan
- Free lunch catered daily **
- Office amenities including snacks, drinks, coffee & espresso bar and an on-site gym **
- Dog-friendly office **
- Relocation packages available
- Flexible hours & generous PTO
- Paid holidays, including company summer and winter breaks
- 401(k) plans
* All benefits available to full-time staff
** Select benefits available to interns
REGENT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.