Taking the next step in your career with UrbanFootprint will set you on the path to revolutionizing how organizations make decisions.
UrbanFootprint is the world’s first Urban Intelligence Platform – trusted by some of the largest energy utilities, financial institutions, government agencies, urban planning firms, and mobility companies in the US to provide geospatial insights and find signal through noise to inform site selection, infrastructure investment, resource distribution, and much more. We do this by unifying and normalizing previously siloed data on climate, environmental, urban, and socio-economic factors to surface powerful and actionable data insights.
UrbanFootprint’s mission is to Build Resilience by empowering organizations with critical data insights to drive decision making and allow them to Never Wonder Where. Our customers answer complex ‘where’ questions in minutes versus weeks, months, or years, such as:
- ”Where does the energy sector need to invest in electrification, decarbonization, and asset hardening in the face of climate threats?”…
- ”Where should cities and businesses invest to catch up with e-commerce, last-mile delivery, and new mobility?”…
- ”Where do governments deploy relief and new infrastructure to combat record hunger, homelessness, and hazard vulnerability?”…
Led by our co-founders, Joe DiStefano and Peter Calthorpe, we are tackling a $22B market opportunity. We’ve won awards including Inc. Magazine’s Best in Business and have been named one of Fast Company’s World’s Most Innovative Companies. We raised a $25M Series B and our investors include Social Capital, Citi Ventures, Valo Ventures, 2150.VC, A/O Proptech, Assured Guaranty, and Radicle Impact.
Don’t wonder where to go next, we’ve got the perfect spot for you!
As a socially-driven Data Scientist, you will be contributing to UrbanFootprint’s suite of geospatial data products, many of which leverage our parcel level map of all properties across the US that integrates information about people, employment, land use, the environment and more. These data products power nearly every decision our customers make. They allow our customers to design environmentally conscious growth plans, target government relief dollars, and promote equitable community development.
As a product-minded and empathetic Data Scientist, you care deeply about how data quality and accuracy impact real decisions. You are autonomous, not independent; you incorporate ideas and feedback from stakeholders and other data scientists, clearly communicate progress and are accountable for the validity and accuracy of the models you build and the outputs you ship. You are comfortable researching on your own and asking for help when you need it. You’re thoughtful; you ask questions to ensure you understand the why and verify that UrbanFootprint is tackling the right problems and taking the right approaches. Pragmatic and hands on, you are comfortable applying models and algorithms to real world scenarios. You are comfortable prototyping solutions and eager to work with others to ship your models to production.
As a Series B funded startup, UrbanFootprint is an ideal fit for someone with an entrepreneurial spirit who is comfortable with (or, even, energized by) moving forward through ambiguity, lightweight process, and the inevitable changes in direction that come with iterating and refining on product-market fit.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with product managers and data scientists to understand the problems our customers face and how we can best solve them.
- Build prototype solutions addressing a wide range of real-world problems and work with data engineers to transform those prototypes into real products.
- Partner with urban planning domain experts, customer success and product managers to ensure that model accuracy meets customer needs and expectations.
- Communicate project progress, challenges and outcomes to internal stakeholders.
Your background most likely includes:
- Work experience equivalent to a Master’s degree or higher in Statistics, Data Science or Machine Learning.
- Experience with a variety of statistical or machine learning regression and classification models, missing data imputation, and/or clustering algorithms.
- High proficiency in Python and Python’s scientific programming stack such as pandas, sklearn, statsmodels, one neural network library, and one data visualization library.
- Experience developing models in an iterative, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and documentation skills.
- Experience with geospatial modeling such as spatial clustering and spatial clustering with non-spatial attributes, spatial interpolation, and small area estimation and/or spatial downscaling techniques.
- Experience as a full-stack data scientist, owning data pipelines, model development and production model implementation.
- Familiarity with large-scale, cloud-based data analysis frameworks including BigQuery, Xarray, Pangeo, SQL, Apache Beam, Dask or PySpark.
- You are socially driven to leverage data to facilitate a more equitable and resilient society.
Target Compensation: $115,000 -160,000 on base comp with 10% bonus, equity, and benefits
(Compensation is flexible based on experience; all candidates at various levels will be considered)
UrbanFootprint is committed to diversity in its workforce. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.