Prime Medicine was founded to bring the promise of gene editing to patients. We use Prime Editing, a next-generation technology that can “search and replace” to restore normal genetic function almost anywhere in the genome. Prime Editing searches to find the precise place in the genome to edit and replaces the segment of faulty DNA with a correct copy of DNA. A single Prime Editor can correct the individual mutations found across patients, meaning Prime Editing can potentially address more than 90 percent of known disease-causing genetic mutations.
We envision a world where this technology can cure, halt, and ultimately prevent genetic diseases, providing lifelong benefit to patients. Prime Medicine offers the opportunity to shape the future of gene editing and transform how medicines are used to treat disease. Realizing the promise of Prime Editing requires a talented team with diversity of viewpoints and expertise. We’re building a group of dedicated, scientifically curious individuals who are passionate about helping patients live longer, healthier lives.
Co-Op Assignment Overview
Prime Medicine is seeking a co-op for the Fall 2023 semester with an interest in nucleic acid R&D to join the process chemistry team. The candidate will be involved in day-to-day routine activities for the preparation of RNA synthesis amidite solutions & reagents, setting them up on automated DNA/RNA synthesizer instruments, and helping the senior level chemists for chemical synthesis, deprotection and characterization of Prime’s long guide RNA. The candidate will learn and generate data on RNA processing, document data in the project specific folder, share the results with his/her manager and present in the process chemistry weekly team meeting.
We want curious problem solvers who enjoy working on exciting projects, working within a team and are passionate about developing genetic editing technologies to better human health and well-being.
- RNA synthesis reagent preparation, phosphoramidite solution preparation and synthesis set up to the automated DNA/RNA synthesizers.
- Learn/perform chemical synthesis and deprotection of long guide RNA (ribonucleic acid) for multiple sequences.
- Routine analysis of crude RNA oligonucleotides with various lab instruments such as UPLC, LC-MS, Nano drop etc. followed by crude UF/DF using tangential flow filtration (TFF) system.
- Maintain AKTA OP10, AKTAOP100 RNA synthesizer, and all other lab instruments such as UPLC, Nano drop etc. in good operational condition after use
- Documents data in the project specific folder, write a project summary report in brief, and share results at team meetings.
- Must be enrolled in the undergraduate/advanced degree program at the time of Co-op program
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, good organization skills, the ability to multi-tasks, and work as a team player and/or independently.
- A passion for learning and contributing to multiple facets of a program
- Prior hands-on, lab-based internship/Co-op experience.
- Familiarity with chemical synthesis, and other organic chemistry laboratory procedures and instrumentation. Experience with nucleic acid chemistry is a plus.
- Familiarity with Microsoft excel, PowerPoint.
What We Offer:
- A cutting-edge scientific team open to mentorship and networking
- Full reimbursement for monthly commuting costs including subway, commuter rail, parking, Bluebikes, etc.
- Participation in regular scientific seminars with industry experts
- Full participation in employee activities including learning and development offerings, social activities, etc.
Prime Medicine is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.