Brightseed is a pioneer in biosciences and artificial intelligence (A.I.) that illuminates nature to restore human health. Brightseed’s proprietary A.I., Forager®, accelerates bioactive discovery, biological validation and ingredient formulation from years to months, rapidly revealing new connections between nature and humanity. Through Forager® and clinical evaluation, Brightseed partners with organizations across the consumer health continuum to offer insight into the world of bioactives and health solutions. Visit www.brightseedbio.com to learn more.
Bioactives are small molecule compounds produced by plants, fungi, and microbes that grow in and adapt to environments that present a wide range of challenges to their survival. Bioactives also benefit the health of humans – they are the enlivening caffeine in tea, the powerful antioxidant lycopene in tomatoes or curcumin in turmeric, and they inform active ingredients in medicines like Taxol, aspirin and Metformin, the latter a first-line treatment for Type 2 diabetes derived from the French lilac flower. Science has long known that bioactives are critical to human health, yet the vast majority remain unknown and uncharted – often referred to as the “dark matter” of nutrition. Brightseed’s A.I., Forager®, discovers bioactives in nature and maps them to human health outcomes at a rate and accuracy that was previously impossible.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You are an expert computational microbiologist with a passion for exploring the interplay between nutrition and the human microbiome and its impact on human health. At Brightseed, you will contribute to the development of an innovative computational platform for microbiome research integrating multi-omics data. You will be working within an interdisciplinary team to deliver testable insights into microbiome function that can be translated into commercial products.
THE IMPACT YOU WILL MAKE
- Serve as the in-house expert on microbiome bioinformatics and act as a key technical voice and champion to both internal and external microbiome-focused discovery and development programs
- Lead planning and execution of high-value computational initiatives underlying the company’s microbiome strategy
- Architect and build out key algorithms, data pipelines, and software infrastructure to model microbiome activity and predict microbiome impact on human health
- Integrate microbiome data capabilities into Brightseed’s Discovery structure by collaborating and partnering with functional teams covering computation, natural products chemistry, metabolomics, and molecular biology
- Scientist - Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Biostatistics, Microbiology or other relevant fields
- Senior Scientist - Ph.D. and 2+ years of industrial experience in a relevant research area
- Excellent, hands-on expertise in microbial genomics or metagenomics data analysis
- A track record of achievements in designing and performing computational investigations and/or building computational tools and resources for biological investigations
- Fundamental knowledge of microbial genetics, genomics, and biosynthetic pathways strongly desired
- Strong skills in statistics and data visualization
- Ability to collaborate effectively and communicate science to experts and non-experts
- Experienced in planning and delivering results within a predefined project timeline
- Experience in standard practices for software development is a plus
- The salary range for this position is $126,000 - $170,000.
- Compensation for this position is commensurate with relevant qualifications and work experience, academic credentials, job related skills, employment location and other factors.
- More senior candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
THE BENEFITS YOU’LL ENJOY
As a lab based company, where in person collaboration is key to drive innovation, we encourage all team members to be in our office most days each week. However we appreciate and honor the need and desire for flexibility and have implemented a hybrid working model. We have a fully stocked healthy kitchen, a gym onsite, plenty of free parking, weekly team events and a state-of-the-art lab and office.
We offer a competitive total rewards package with team-first benefits programs for full-time employees, including medical, dental and vision coverage, unlimited paid time off, life insurance, employee assistance programs, 401(k) plan, a mental health platform, employee discounts, payroll credits for cell phone and commuter costs and a paid parental leave program.
JOIN US, AND BE YOU
We are committed to making transformative discoveries with a team-first mentality. Successful team members are truth-seeking and trusting, with the tenacity required to trail blaze in uncharted territory. We are a collaborative team that actively seeks input and values differing perspectives. And we produce tangible results, holding ourselves accountable in the process.
We are also committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of connectedness and inclusion. We grow and learn together, respecting professional and personal experiences, areas of expertise, and types of self expression.
In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that each one of us brings in terms of education, opinions, culture, color, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, religion, different abilities, sexual orientation and beliefs.