Staff Distributed Systems Engineer
Confirmed live in the last 24 hours
Enables efficient microservices integration using GraphQL technology.
Apollo is a company that excels in unlocking the potential of microservices through its Apollo GraphQL, enabling seamless integration of APIs, efficient data management, and performance enhancement. The company's technology has proven to significantly accelerate the speed of feature releases and reduce code review time, as evidenced by testimonials from clients like Zillow and Wayfair. Furthermore, Apollo's strong working relationships with its clients and its ability to deliver solutions during both good and challenging times demonstrate its commitment to customer success and industry leadership.
San Francisco, California
Google Cloud Platform
- Experience building and operating distributed, stateless/fault tolerant systems
- Familiarity with cloud providers (AWS, GCP)
- Experience with Rust (basic proficiency)
- Understanding of tenancy modes and their implications
- Experience with observability solutions (e.g. CloudWatch, DataDog, OpenTelemetry)
- Ability to weigh technical and business trade-offs
- Excellent communication skills
- Developing and operating multiple features and systems
- Making an impact directly through contributions and mentoring
- Creating technical designs addressing performance, security, and reliability
- Defining requirements as a true partner with Product and Sales
- Experience working at an IaaS/PaaS company/service
- GraphQL experience
Are you a distributed systems engineer with a proven track record of leading cross-team projects? Are you passionate about Rust? Do you find going beyond 99.99%+ availability exciting? Here at Apollo, you won’t be alone.
In this role, you will be part of the team building Apollo GraphOS Cloud, a fully managed API solution for GraphQL Federation. You will help globally scale and secure essential API infrastructure for some of the most influential companies in the world. You will build and operate the systems providing a performant, reliable, and secure cloud API ingress platform and user experience.
As a Staff Engineer at Apollo, you will spearhead initiatives spanning multiple teams and systems. Your colleagues will look to you for mentorship and empowerment. We are an inclusive and enthusiastic team who can get 80% of the value out of 20% of the work. We prioritize designs that are forward-thinking, flexible, and foster shared ownership. Our team of leaders approach their days with a healthy dose of mindfulness and humility. If that sounds exciting, we want to hear from you!
Apollo is the worldwide leader in GraphQL innovation. Companies like Netflix, Expedia, Peloton, DoorDash, The New York Times, and Zillow are just a small sample of Apollo’s customers. Our open-source software is downloaded millions of times every week. Gartner estimates that, by 2025, 50% of companies will be using GraphQL and we’re the clear market leader.
GraphQL is transforming the software development space by creating a brand new layer in companies’ stacks called the supergraph that helps engineering teams ship faster and build richer experiences than ever before. Join us and build the future of Apollo!
What You’ll Do:
- You’ll be responsible for developing and operating multiple features and systems.
- You’ll make an impact directly through your contributions and by mentoring others on your team.
- You’ll create technical designs that proactively address performance, security, and reliability.
- You’ll define requirements as a true partner with Product and Sales.
- You’ll work with Rust, AWS, GCP, Kotlin, Kubernetes, Terraform and more- don’t worry if you haven’t worked with all of these, we just wanted to let you know a bit about our stack!
- You have experience building and operating distributed, stateless/fault tolerant systems, as well as familiarity with cloud providers (AWS, GCP).
- You have experience with Rust (basic proficiency, no need for prior professional experience- side projects ok!).
- You understand tenancy modes (multi-, single-) and their implications from a cost, security, and reliability perspective.
- You have experience with observability solutions (e.g. CloudWatch, DataDog, OpenTelemetry, etc.).
- You are adept at weighing technical and business trade-offs and can “see down the road and around corners”.
- You have great communication skills (written, presentations, and in meetings) for explaining ambiguous problem spaces, sharing knowledge, and driving understanding across teams.
- Bonus points if you have experience working at an IaaS/PaaS company/service: cloud providers, managed services, APM, etc.
- GraphQL experience is a plus but not necessary.
Location: This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere in the UK.
Equal Opportunity: Apollo is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a talented and diverse workforce.