Lead Data Engineer
Posted on 2/6/2024
Comprehensive Salesforce DevOps platform for deployment and testing
Gearset, a Salesforce DevOps solution provider, offers a comprehensive suite of services including metadata deployments, data deployments, continuous integration, and automated release pipelines, all designed to accelerate project delivery and enhance collaboration. The platform's deep understanding of Salesforce data and metadata relationships, coupled with its commitment to DevOps best practices, makes it a reliable choice for over 1000 companies, including industry leaders like McKesson, Accenture, and IBM. Additionally, Gearset's commitment to customer education, as demonstrated by their weekly 30-minute demo sessions, showcases their dedication to helping clients optimize their Salesforce release processes.
, United Kingdom
Growth & Insights
6 month growth↑ 9%
1 year growth↑ 13%
2 year growth↑ 77%
Data & Analytics
- 5+ years of experience working with data platforms
- Experience leading teams and projects
- Strong SQL and data modelling skills
- Experience with cloud-based data analytics platforms like Redshift, BigQuery, or Snowflake
- Analytical approach to problem-solving and architecting end-to-end systems
- Line manage, nurture, and grow the data team
- Work with key stakeholders to define objectives for the data team
- Drive the velocity of the team to deliver objectives and build solutions
- Prevent silos by ensuring team collaboration with other departments
- Maintain, extend, and define the future direction of the data platform
- Collect and feed data into the platform and build data transformation tooling
- Partner with stakeholders to understand their requirements and provide support
- Govern the data platform using software engineering best practices
- Experience with data transformation tools and languages like dbt, Spark, or Python
- Experience with business intelligence tools like Tableau, Looker, or AWS QuickSight
- Experience with data integration tools like Airbyte, Fivetran, or Stitch
- Experience with DevOps practices and tools including version control, automated testing, and CI/CD
- Experience in product ownership roles
It’s an exciting time to join Gearset! In the last few years we’ve rocketed from a 7 person start-up to nearly 240 people, and we’re only just getting started. As a product-driven company founded by engineers, we know the value of a great engineering culture, and we’re looking for experienced technical team leaders to join a team built from the ground up on trust, teamwork and tight feedback loops.
Our deliberate lack of unnecessary hierarchy, and our focus on the job to be done (one of our core values), means you’ll work from day one on making thousands of businesses around the world more effective. Working closely with users, you’ll see the difference the features you build have on millions of people developing on Salesforce, and how they apply DevOps best practices to their development and release process.
Our culture of trust, transparency, and collaboration, means everyone at Gearset is given the autonomy to succeed and are trusted to do good work. We only add process when it helps us get things done, and we’re allergic to pointless meetings! We live by our core engineering values, which aren’t just nice words—they guide us through day-to-day challenges and are the foundation of how we work together.
We know that learning and development is important to great engineers, and at Gearset you’ll find it comes in many forms. From the chance to collaborate with other really smart people who help you learn and raise your game, to having an annual learning and development budget for conferences, events, and courses. All this coupled with flexible working, and a top end hardware setup of your choosing, you can see that Gearset has built a culture to help you succeed.
Our engineering team is driven by a genuine desire to make the lives of our customers easier, and we do that by helping each other deliver consistently outstanding work. We’re confident in our product, market potential, and we have big plans for the future. You’ll work as an individual contributor for the first few months, embedding into the engineering function before taking on a team.
What’s the opportunity for a lead Data Engineer at Gearset?
- We’re looking for a Lead Data Analytics Engineer to come and join our Engineering organization, to lead and help shape the direction of our Data Team. You’ll work with key stakeholders around the business and build the systems that power Gearset as we scale the company.
- From its inception, Gearset has had a data-driven approach to building and selling software. Our SaaS platform provides increasing amounts of telemetry as more users engage with our product, our database of customers continues to grow, and our cloud-native back-end systems also provide valuable data that helps teams across the company make better decisions.
- You’ll lead the team, working with our existing engineers and maintaining and extending our existing data platform, to deliver actionable insights from all this data to our customer success, product, marketing, finance, and sales teams.
What you’ll achieve
- Line manage, nurture, and grow your own data team, working with them to achieve their own development goals
- Work with key stakeholders across the business to define the objectives for the data team
- Drive the velocity of the team, helping them deliver all their objectives and build the right solutions to support the business
- Prevent the build up of silos by ensuring your team is working not only with each other and the rest of engineering, but also marketing, product, sales, customer success and other teams
- Help to maintain, extend and define the future direction of our data platform and be empowered to make the key decisions around these systems
- Work with teams across the business to collect and feed data into our platform
- Build out our data transformation tooling and use it to model the data so it can be readily used to build business-relevant dashboards and reports
- Partner with stakeholders throughout the business to understand their requirements and help them make best use of the data, providing them with documentation, tooling, guidance and support
- Use software engineering best practices to govern the data platform, including version control, automated testing and CI/CD
- Have experience of leading teams and projects, and deeply care about making sure you’re working together to solve the right problems and delivering early
- Can lead from experience by having been a first class data analytics engineer yourself, with 5+ years of experience working with data platforms
- Have a bias towards action and pragmatism
- Enjoy working with a collaborative team of varied disciplines
- Have strong SQL and data modelling skills
- Have experience working with cloud-based data analytics platforms, such as Redshift, BigQuery or Snowflake
- Have an analytical approach to solving problems and architecting end-to-end systems
- Are enthusiastic about collaborating and using data to help people make decisions
- Are able to work effectively both in a team and independently
Great to haves
- Experience with data transformation tools and languages, such as dbt, Spark or Python
- Experience with business intelligence tools, such as Tableau, Looker, or AWS QuickSight
- Experience with data integration tools, such as Airbyte, Fivetran or Stitch
- Experience with DevOps practices and tools, including version control, infrastructure-as-code, automated testing and CI/CD
- Experience in product ownership roles, understanding the needs of users and prioritising technical work that will efficiently address those needs
Salary and benefits (the stuff you’d expect!)
- Salary is £78k - £100k (depending on experience)
- This is a full time opportunity, working Monday to Friday remote in the UK
- Generous personal development budget for courses, conferences, or whatever is useful to your professional development in the role of up to £1500 per year
- Top end hardware provided
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays (with the option to buy an extra 5 each year)
- Company Pension Plan (matching up to 5%)
- Bupa health care
- Life Insurance & critical illness cover
- Discounted gym membership, as well as a range of health and wellness benefits
About the engineering team
Some of us studied computer science; some of us have only ever worked at startups; some have worked at huge companies; some are former consultants and some are former chemists. We know diverse teams with varied experiences and opinions are key to the success of the business, so if what we’ve shared about this role sounds interesting, we’d encourage you to apply, whatever your background.
Gearset is the leading Salesforce DevOps platform trusted by more than 2000 companies around the globe, including McKesson, Accenture and IBM. We’ve the fast paced exciting environment of a start-up, with the success and ambition of a scale-up, with offices in Belfast, London, and Chicago, alongside our Cambridge (UK) HQ.
We’re proud of our unique culture built on trust, collaboration, transparency, and teamwork, allowing us to have a feedback-driven culture that keeps us focused on delivering the best solution for our customers.
Alongside our Glassdoor score of 4.8/5, and customer G2 scores of 4.7/5, we hold three awards from Best Companies UK. These include: Top 5 Best Company to work for in the East of England, UK Top 5 Best Mid-sized Company, and Top 5 Best Technology Company to work for in the whole of the UK.