Optical Network Engineer
Confirmed live in the last 24 hours
Redmond, WA, USA
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or applied physics
- 2+ years of experience in designing optical experiments and developing test automation (internships, student projects, extracurricular project experience, and professional experience all qualify)
- Willingness to work extended hours and weekends as necessary
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here
- Design and develop optical connectivity solutions for the Starlink ground network infrastructure
- Develop and maintain lab and production test stations for new product qualification and root cause analysis of operational fleet hardware
- Develop modular, reusable test and automation software in Python for engineering design verification
- Work with ground networking and space network teams to scale the Starlink network physical layer and optimize traffic flow
- Develop tools and solutions to proactively monitor the health and availability of the optical infrastructure and lead continuous reliability improvement initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, and work both independently and within team to achieve high-quality results
- Fundamental understanding in any of the following fields:
- DWDM transmission systems
- Communications theory
- Integrated photonics or optical subsystems
- Experience with any of the following areas is a :
- Optical network design, planning, and DWDM system performance analysis
- Hands-on optical device or system level test and characterization
- Leadership in designing and creating test software infrastructure
- Experience in any scripting/programming language (Python, Matlab, or similar)
- Experience performing data extraction, visualization and analysis using programming languages (e.g., Python) or SQL
- IP networking and traffic flow fundamentals
Designs, manufactures, & launches rockets and spacecrafts
SpaceX's mission is to make humanity multiplanetary. The company is working on a next generation of fully reusable launch vehicles that will be the most powerful ever built, capable of carrying humans to Mars and other destinations in the solar system.
- Benefits and Perks - Our employees’ well-being is important to us and essential to our capacity to do extraordinary things. We offer a wide variety of programs to support the health, wellness, and financial security of our employees and their families.
Company Core Values
- Make History - SpaceX has gained worldwide attention for a series of historic milestones. It is the only private company capable of returning a spacecraft from low-Earth orbit, and in 2012 our Dragon spacecraft became the first commercial spacecraft to deliver cargo to and from the International Space Station. And in 2020, SpaceX became the first private company to take humans there as well.
- Reusability - SpaceX believes a fully and rapidly reusable rocket is the pivotal breakthrough needed to substantially reduce the cost of space access. The majority of the launch cost comes from building the rocket, which historically has flown only once.
- Landing - SpaceX’s family of Falcon launch vehicles are the first and only orbital class rockets capable of reflight. Depending on the performance required for the mission, Falcon lands on one of our autonomous spaceport droneships out on the ocean or one of our landing zones near our launch pads.