Backend Engineering Manager, Verify: Ci
Posted on 5/2/2022
Ruby on Rails
- Knowledge of CI/CD. Bonus points if you have hands-on experience with CI systems
- Experience scaling systems, or have knowledge of performance and reliability challenges at scale
- Experience improving database performance
- An ability to operate within our view on leadership
- Technical credibility: The team works in Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL and with GraphQL. While we don't require previous development experience in these areas, it's helpful to understand how SaaS applications are built, and discuss technical rationale and reasoning with your direct reports
- Exquisite brokering skills: you'll need to regularly achieve consensus amongst departments
- Demonstrated experience as a People Manager
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Manage and grow the Backend Engineers in the Pipeline Execution group
- Collaborate with the Product Manager to help inform planning and author project plans for epics
- Work with other team members (e.g. our Frontend Engineers, Product leadership, UX Designer, Software Engineering in Test) to ensure the team direction is clear and the team is delivering value aligned with business needs
- Run agile project management processes. We work iteratively and release monthly
- Provide guidance and coaching to team members on technical contributions, product architecture, and other areas
- Maintain empathy for the team by keeping awareness of engineering processes and practices. Examples might be: evaluating individual workflow during one on ones, conducting code reviews, or working on non-critical path bugs and/or features
- Actively seek and hire globally-distributed talent
- Contribute to the sense of psychological safety on your team
- Generate and implement process improvements
- Foster technical decision making on the team, but make final decisions when necessary
- Draft quarterly OKRs and Engineering KPIs
Repository hosting manager tool
It is GitLab's mission to make it so that everyone can contribute. When everyone can contribute, users become contributors and greatly increases the rate of innovation.
- Spending Company Money
- Equity Compensation
- Life Insurance
- Financial Wellness
- Paid Time Off
- Growth and Development Benefit
- GitLab Contribute
- Business Travel Accident Policy
- Employee Assistance Program
- Part-time contracts
- Meal Train
- Fertility & Family Planning
- Parental Leave
- Collaboration: To achieve results, team members must work together effectively.
- Results: We do what we promised to each other, customers, users, and investors.
- Efficiency: Working efficiently on the right things enables us to make fast progress, which makes our work more fulfilling.
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging.
- Iteration: We do the smallest thing possible and get it out as quickly as possible.
- Transparency: Be open about as many things as possible.