Valo Health is a technology company that is integrating human-centric data and AI-powered technology to accelerate the creation of life-changing drugs for more patients faster. Valo was created with the belief that the drug discovery and development process can and should be faster and less expensive, with a much higher probability of success. We are using models early to fail less often, executing clinical trials to add valuation to the company, and generating fit-for-purpose data to feed back into Valo’s Opal Computational Platform™ as we reinvent drug discovery and development from the ground up. Disease doesn’t wait, so neither can we.
We are a multi-disciplinary team of experts in science, technology, and pharmaceuticals united in our mission to achieve better drugs for patients faster. Valo is committed to hiring diverse talent, prioritizing growth and development, fostering an inclusive environment, and creating opportunities to bring together a group of different experiences, backgrounds, and voices to work together. We achieve the widest-ranging impact when we leverage our broad backgrounds and perspectives to accelerate a new frontier in health. Valo seeks to become the catalyst for the pharmaceutical industry and drive the digital transformation of the industry. Are you ready to join us?
About the Role
As a Senior Data Scientist at Valo, you will design and implement solutions to real-world small-molecule modeling problems using our AI-based Opal platform. You will work closely with a diverse team of scientists, engineers, and domain experts to advance computationally accelerated drug development programs that address unmet medical needs. You will have the opportunity to apply and enhance your skills in machine learning, data analysis, and software development while making a positive impact on patients and society.
Opal is a fully integrated, cloud-native platform that leverages human-centric data to create new approaches to drug discovery and development. Opal uses state-of-the-art machine learning algorithms and data pipelines to generate predictive insights that help researchers reduce drug development costs and accelerate time-to-market.
What You’ll Do…
Your primary areas of responsibility will be:
- Collaborate with data scientists, researchers, product teams, and other domain experts to design and implement solutions to complex data-oriented problems that impact real drug discovery programs
- Work on a team developing novel algorithms for application in real-world preclinical discovery programs, tackling problems such as ADME modeling, toxicity prediction, and generative chemistry.
- Train, assess, deploy, and interpret statistical machine learning models that inform and advance our programs.
What You Bring…
- A Masters in Computer Science, Data Science or related field, or equivalent industry experience
- Experience with modern statistical analysis and machine learning techniques, particularly in the context of large-scale, high-throughput dataset analysis.
- An aptitude for learning about new domains and adapting machine learning techniques to those domains
- Software engineering experience across multiple languages such as Python, Java, R
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills, including facility with Rmarkdown and/or Jupyter Notebooks for communicating reproducible results; and the ability to also condense, summarize, and synthesize those results into informative and actionable presentations to less technical audiences.
- Strong personal project management skills with practical experience managing your time split between multiple, parallel projects
You May Also Bring…
- B.S or M.S. in Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, or related field
- Experience with cheminformatics tools and platforms such as JChem, RDKit, OpenBabel, Pipeline Pilot, KNIME, MOE, or Schrödinger
- Experience with predictive drug development methods, such as pharmacophore models, crystal structure-based models, QSAR methods, or free energy calculations
More on Valo
Valo Health, LLC (“Valo”) is a technology company built to transform the drug discovery and development process using human-centric data and artificial intelligence-driven computation. As a digitally native company, Valo aims to fully integrate human-centric data across the entire drug development life cycle into a single unified architecture, thereby accelerating the discovery and development of life-changing drugs while simultaneously reducing costs, time, and failure rates. The company’s Opal Computational Platform™ is an integrated set of capabilities designed to transform data into valuable insights that may accelerate discoveries and enable Valo to advance a robust pipeline of programs across cardiovascular metabolic renal, oncology, and neurodegenerative diseases. Founded by Flagship Pioneering and headquartered in Boston, MA, Valo also has offices in Lexington, MA, New York, NY, and San Francisco, CA. To learn more, visit www.valohealth.com.