Role: Full Stack Engineer (Visualization Lead)
At Aquatic, we are actively recruiting for our Full Stack Software Engineer (Visualization Lead) in the Chicago office. This person is experienced in building and iterating on user interfaces (management, introspection etc) for a new suite of tools for research currently under development by Research Engineering (RE) (data, distributed computation etc).
- Data and research result visualization
- Design, develop and own a new system for analyzing and presenting research results, from alpha to simulation results
- Iterate on functionality based on feedback from the Head of Quantitative Strategies and research team
- Help design and implement the backend of the above system, enabling the presentation of summary data and on-demand computation
- Ideate, test, and analyze solutions to data challenges of visualization at scale
- Improve productivity by developing tighter integration with the research development environment, such as VS Code plugins to ease iteration, debugging etc.
- Define and drive the adoption of web development best practices
- Provide mentorship for Research Engineering and the rest of the firm
- 6+ years of experience building and delivering customer facing products
- A bachelor’s, master’s, or PhD in a technical subject area
- Experience with multiple languages: Typescript, UI frameworks such as React.js or Svelte, HTML5, CSS3; Python is a major plus
- Excellent understanding of web and back-end technologies and best practices
- Experience with large-scale data visualization; graphing and network visualization libraries
- Great communication skills, customer-oriented mentality, keen attention to detail, readiness to challenge assumptions and an obsession with building quality software
- A track record of iterative/user-feedback driven development
- Strong bias for action
- Driven by accountability and internal urgency
- Desire to independently seek best solutions
- Preference for working in a team that focuses on delivering results aligned with Research and Development goals
- Comfortable providing and receiving actionable feedback in a collaborative team setting
- Motivated by an ambitious environment and driven colleagues
The base salary for this role is anticipated to be between $150,000 and $300,000, which is based on information at the time of posting. This position may also be eligible for additional forms of compensation, such as a discretionary bonus, and benefits. Discretionary bonus can be a significant portion of total compensation. Actual compensation for successful candidates will be carefully determined based on a number of factors, including their unique skills, qualifications and relevant experience.
- Benefits: Fully paid medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, competitive 401k plan, employer-paid life & disability insurance
- Perks: Wellness programs, casual dress, snacks, lunch, game room, team and company events
- Development: Open environment to maximize learning and knowledge sharing
- Time: Generous PTO, paid holidays, competitive paid caregiver leaves
Aquatic is a quantitative trading and investment company recently launched by Jon Graham. Prior to founding Aquatic, Jon was a Partner and Senior Managing Director at Citadel, where he worked for more than 13 years. At Citadel, Jon held numerous senior positions over the years, including head of Statistical Arbitrage and Equity High Frequency, culminating in leading the highly successful Global Quantitative Strategies business.
Aquatic develops systematic investment strategies, enabled by a leading-edge research and development platform. The vision is simple: to build a world class, quantitative trading company with a collaborative team of highly capable researchers and engineers.
This role represents a unique opportunity to join a quantitative investment manager at the foundational level of building a world class operation from scratch. The firm’s culture will be shaped by collaboration, meritocracy, ambition, and calm determination.