This is Engineering at Lattice
Lattice’s Engineering team is continuously working to better both our product and our craft. We use a modern, cutting-edge tech stack and love experimenting with new technologies. We strive for maintainable, robust, and performant code. We’re highly collaborative and continuously iterative and work closely with designers and product managers. We prioritize not only great technical architecture but also an amazing product experience.
Lattice is hiring a reliability engineer to focus on our PostgreSQL databases, to ensure high reliability and performance. We run in Amazon Web Services, using both RDS and Aurora instances of PostgreSQL. We’re looking for someone who is comfortable configuring and tuning database clusters as well as partnering with engineering teams to review and improve data modeling and query optimization. You’re also a software developer, and will build tools, libraries, and other code to improve Lattice’s use of our databases. You’ll use Terraform for provisioning and managing the database infrastructure, and Datadog and other tools for database observability.
What You Will Do
- Work on database reliability and performance as a member of the SRE team.
- Analyze solutions and implement best practices for operating our PostgreSQL databases.
- Work on observability of relevant database metrics and make sure we reach our database objectives.
- Work with other reliability engineers to roll out changes to our production environment and help mitigate database-related production incidents.
- Participate in on-call support rotation with the team.
- Provide database expertise to engineering teams (for example through reviews of database migrations, queries and performance optimizations).
- Work on automation of database infrastructure and help engineering succeed by providing self-service tools.
- Plan the growth and manage the capacity of Lattice’s database infrastructure.
- Support and debug database production issues across services and levels of the stack.
- Document every action so your learnings turn into repeatable actions and then into automation.
- Cross-train other reliability engineers on aspects of database reliability.
What You Will Bring to the Table
Experience it’s important for you to have at some level:
- At least 5 years of experience running PostgreSQL in large production environments.
- Experience operating systems in cloud environments such as AWS or GCP.
- Have deep knowledge of SQL and data modeling for RDBMS.
- Have good knowledge of the internals of PostgreSQL.
- Experience deploying/utilizing proxy and optimization solutions such as RDS Proxy pgBouncer, PGAnalyze, OtterTune, etc.
- Have several years of experience programming in a software engineering role.
- Understanding of SRE concepts such as SLA/SLI/SLOs and incident management processes.
- Strong desire to automate away the toil.
- Strong interest in collaborating with and mentoring product engineers about SQL and database topics.
Experience that would be helpful:
- Experience with infrastructure automation and configuration management using tools like Terraform, Chef, Ansible, Puppet, etc.
- Experience with observability tooling for database monitoring and troubleshooting, such as Datadog, Percona, EverSQL, etc.
- Familiarity with distributed systems and networking concepts as they apply to applications and database utilization.
The estimated annual cash salary for this role is $163,758 - $216,090. This position is also eligible for incentive stock options, subject to the terms of Lattice’s applicable plans
Benefits: The Company offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: Medical insurance; Dental insurance; Vision insurance; Life, AD&D, and Disability Insurance; Emergency Weather Support; Wellness Apps; Paid Parental Leave, Paid Time off inclusive of holidays and sick time; Commuter & Parking Accounts; Lunches in the Office; Workplace Amenities Stipend, Internet and Phone Stipend; One time WFH Office Set-Up Stipend; 401(k) retirement plan; Financial Planning; Learning & Development Budget; Sabbatical Program; and Invest in Your People Fund
*Note on Pay Transparency:
Lattice provides an estimate of the compensation for roles that may be hired as required by state regulations. Compensation may vary based on (a) location, as Lattice factors in specific location when benchmarking compensation for most roles; (b) individual candidate skills and qualifications; and (c) individual candidate experience.
Additionally, Lattice leverages current market data to determine compensation, so posted compensation figures are subject to change as new market data becomes available. The salary, other compensation, and benefits information is accurate as of the date of this posting. Lattice reserves the right to modify this information at any time, subject to applicable law.
Lattice is on a mission to build cultures where employees and their companies thrive 💪. In an age where employees have more choices than ever before, businesses that put employees first are winning 🏅– and Lattice is building the tools to empower those people-centric companies. Lattice is a people success platform that offers performance reviews, employee engagement surveys, real-time feedback, weekly check-ins, goal setting, and career planning in a way that allows companies to focus on employee development, growth, and engagement – yielding stronger employee retention, performance, and impact to the bottom line 📈. Since launching in 2016, we have grown to over 4,600+ customers globally, including brands like Slack, Pinterest, Reddit, and Asana.
What else does Lattice have to offer? We’re so glad you asked! We invest in our people’s personal and professional growth because that sort of growth begets business impact and personal fulfillment 🤗. We believe in the value of continued learning investments 🤓and reimbursements. We offer a competitive salary (including equity💸) and our benefits are thoughtful. We believe that taking the time for you is important and have a flexible vacation/time-off policy to prove it. We even incorporated Lattice “Recharge Days” 🔋to ensure you’re getting a break every month. Lattice has also implemented a 💻 remote-first hybrid model (team-dependent, you work from wherever makes you most comfortable). If that gets you excited, now is the perfect time to join; so bring your appetite for ownership and creation and help Lattice continue to grow! 🎉
Lattice is committed to equal treatment and opportunity in all aspects of recruitment, selection, and employment without regard to gender, race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, or any other category protected under the law. Lattice is an equal opportunity employer; committed to a community of inclusion, and an environment free from discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.