Teamwork makes the stream work.
Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you’ll make a valuable — and valued — contribution. We’re a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About the team
Roku runs one of the largest data lakes in the world. We store over 70 PB of data, run 10+M queries per month, scan over 100 PB of data per month.
Big Data team is the one responsible for building, running, and supporting the platform that makes this possible. We provide all the tooling needed to acquire, generate, process, monitor, validate and access the data in the lake for both streaming data and batch. We are also responsible for generating the foundational data. The systems we provide include Scribe, Kafka, Hive, Presto, Spark, Flink, Pinot, and others. The team is actively involved in the Open Source, and we are planning to increase our engagement over time.
About the role
Roku is in the process of modernizing its Big Data Platform. We are working on defining the new architecture to improve user experience, minimize the cost and increase efficiency. Are you interested in helping as build this state-of-the-art data platform? Are you an expert in Spark or Presto? Do you know how to optimize queries and pipelines? Have you looked under the hood of these systems? Are you active or interested in the Open Source? If you answered “Yes” to these questions, this role is for you!
What you will be doing
- You will be responsible for streamlining and tuning existing pipelines and queries as well a building new ones. Making sure the systems run efficiently and with minimal cost is a top priority
- You will be making changes to the underlying systems and contributing your work back into the open source
- You will also be responsible for supporting internal customers and on call services for the systems we host. Making sure we provided stable environment and great user experience is another top priority for the team
We are excited if you have
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Strong Java programming expertise, and a robust grasp of operating systems concepts, algorithms, and data structures
- Experience in tuning Spark and/or Presto workloads. Familiarity with Spark/Presto source code and participation in open source is highly desirable
- Extensive experience in distributed systems, multithreaded programming and concurrency controls
- Hands on experience in creating unit, e2e and performance/scale tests; using remote debugger and profiler
- Extensive hands-on experience with public cloud AWS or GCP
- BS/MS degree in CS or equivalent
The Roku Culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company’s success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We’re independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you’ll be part of a company that’s changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn’t real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.
To learn more about Roku, our global footprint, and how we’ve grown, visit https://www.weareroku.com/factsheet.