At Branch, we’re transforming how brands and users interact across digital platforms. Our mobile marketing and deep linking solutions are trusted to deliver seamless experiences that increase ROI, decrease wasted spend, and eliminate siloed attribution. Our team consists of smart, humble, and collaborative people who value ownership over all we do to create a product, team, and company that lives and breathes our motto: Build Together, Grow Together, Win Together.
We are looking for a business-minded Commercial Counsel to join the small but mighty Branch Legal team! This role is specifically for someone that is eager to expand their skill set beyond commercial negotiations in the areas of privacy and product with an eventual opportunity to operate in a hybrid capacity between Commercial and Product Counsel. You will work closely with the Branch sales and business development teams to advise upon, draft, and negotiate a variety of outbound commercial agreements for both domestic and international deals. You will also execute on commercial projects aimed to enable the business and make the commercial legal review process more efficient. This is a unique opportunity to join a growing and dynamic Commercial team as the 4th team member and support strategic commercial initiatives at Branch during a time of significant growth.
As a Commercial Counsel, you’ll get to:
- Draft, review, and negotiate contracts for complex commercial transactions, including customer contracts, data processing addenda, non-disclosure agreements, and cutting-edge partnership contracts.
- Find creative solutions in negotiations to address impasses and close deals.
- Learn about the ins and outs of our Product to equip you to understand its legal implications and eventually counsel out Product team in a hybrid capacity.
- Join customer calls to answer questions about our commercial standards, our product, our privacy practices, and our operational norms and policies.
- Advise internal business clients on company policies, negotiation strategy, and legal issues and risks.
- Coordinate and collaborate with colleagues from our billing, support, and security teams to efficiently resolve commercial matters.
- Assist in creating and improving our standard form agreements, draft new templates for complex partnerships, revise playbooks, and streamline legal processes as needed as we develop new products and enter new international markets.
- Exercise sound judgment when negotiating key business and legal terms that balances business objectives and legal risks.
- Occasionally collaborate with outside counsel on complex or third party paper deals, as needed.
Working in a Product Counsel capacity, you’ll get to:
- Learn about the ins and outs of our Product to equip you to understand its legal implications and counsel out Product team in a hybrid capacity.
- Partner with product and engineering teams to identify the risks and opportunities associated with new features and products from the initial stages of product development to launch and beyond.
- Provide pragmatic, actionable advice to minimize legal risks while advancing business goals and objectives.
- Collaborate across multiple functions and drive cross-functional projects to resolution with a wide range of stakeholders, including product managers, engineers, security, marketing, and global field enablement .
- Help build scalable and effective processes for providing legal input to internal clients on strategic product initiatives for the company’s various products.
- Stay up-to-date on relevant U.S. and international laws and regulations relevant to product, especially those related to privacy, data protection, and advertising.
You’ll be a good fit if you have:
- 3+ years of demonstrated success in a role focusing on tech transactions and / or counseling tech clients; firm experience welcome.
- If you are a U.S. applicant, you must have J.D. with a strong academic record, and membership in at least one state bar.
- If you are a U.K. applicant, you must be qualified to practice law in a European jurisdiction.
- Rock-solid judgment, including an ability to calibrate for when we need a quick-and-dirty response, versus a deep dive to get something exactly right.
- Experience negotiating privacy and security provisions in technology agreements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Experience in the SaaS, adtech, and/or martech industries.
- Basic fluency in privacy law (this is the one that will get you the most bonus points).
- Experience advising on and supporting compliance with the GDPR and other significant data protection regimes .
- Experience managing cross-functional projects.
- Policy drafting experience (both internal and external-facing).
- Demonstrated ability to pick things up at lightning-fast speed, and work well in a fast-paced environment.
- An ability to not take themselves too seriously.
You should be comfortable with:
- Rolling up your sleeves to learn the technical details of our product inside and out.
- Drafting contracts, whether for a one-off deal or a new template, from scratch.
- Demonstrating a commitment to excellent client service, even in tough negotiations.
- Finding creative solutions in deals, even if they aren’t immediately apparent.
- Working independently on various deals under end of quarter pressure, and knowing when to ask for help or a second opinion .
- Striving for the right balance between partnering with business stakeholders; while developing, maintaining, and enforcing company-wide processes and procedures to be followed.
- Finding ways to provide practical business and legal guidance to random questions from any and all corners of the business, relating to areas of the law that you’ve never worked on before.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents a reasonable estimated compensation range for this role: the estimated pay range for this role, if based in a Remote-CA location, is $139,800 - $178,200.
Please note that this information is provided for those hired in a Remote-CA location only. Compensation for candidates outside of a Remote-CA location will be based on the candidate’s specific work location.
Actual compensation will be determined based on skills, experience, and geographic location and may be more or less than the amount shown above.
A little bit about us:
- Branch has raised more than $667M from investors such as NEA, Founders Fund, and Playground Ventures.
- We are headquartered in Palo Alto, CA with offices around the globe.
- Diversity at Branch ranks in the top 10% for similarly sized companies (by Comparably).
- In 2022, we were recognized as one of Forbes Best Startups and certified by Great Places to Work.
- We have more than 3 billion monthly users and are partnered with over 100,000 apps.
If you think you’d be a good fit for this role, we’d love for you to apply! At Branch, we strive to create an inclusive culture that encourages people from all walks of life to bring their unique, diverse perspectives to work. We aim every day to build an environment that empowers us all to do the best work of our careers, and we can’t wait to show you what we have to offer!
Please note that Branch’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be working from one of our offices or will be attending company events to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to qualifying accommodation requests.
Candidate Privacy Information: