While candidates in the listed locations are encouraged for this role, we are open to remote candidates in other locations.
Compute powers all the ways customers experience Databricks today, from massively parallel jobs that ingest and prepare customer data for analytics, to queries that enable customers to steer businesses in a better direction. At Databricks, we’re reinventing how customers experience compute across the Lakehouse, by automatically pairing customer workloads with the right compute configuration, using data science, machine learning, and a multi-cloud serverless compute platform. The serverless compute platform will be the engine powering the next generation of Databricks products, and is critical for enabling Databricks to democratize data and AI through the Lakehouse.
As the Staff Product Manager for the Databricks serverless compute platform, you will lead and define the investments that allow customers to use multiple Databricks products as if they are utilities; making compute performance available on-demand. You’ll work backwards from customers and product team requirements to define platform level capabilities that improve performance, scalability, cost, availability, and ease of use. You’ll manage compute performance, compute entitlements, and compute economics at a massive scale, and use telemetry to drive progress in the customer experiences and the Databricks P&L. You’ll partner with data science and machine learning engineers to deploy automation to drive KPIs at scale. Ideally, you will have a strong record of building and/or managing B2B or SAAS products that abstract underlying resources such as compute or storage. You will report to the Director of Product Management but will work across the organization with colleagues at all levels.
The impact you will have:
- Accelerate Databricks user and revenue growth by delivering success across important pillars such as ease-of-use, cost, availability, and performance.
- Oversee the key performance indicators (KPIs) for the serverless compute platform
- Collaborate with executives, product teams, and engineering to build clarity and support for your product directives
- Identify opportunities for improving product performance, cost, availability, and ease of use. Build, transact, and deliver your roadmap by applying feedback and influencing key stakeholders.
- Identify opportunities to apply data science and machine learning to drive the success of KPIs and create differentiation across multiple products.
What we look for:
- An accomplished product leader who can define and deliver on success metrics, summarize customer inputs into actionable product requirements, and crisply communicate product value proposition to customers and sales teams
- 3+ years of experience building consensus across all levels and across multiple teams in an organization
- Cloud compute subject matter expertise gained by developing and running products built on top of Kubernetes, cloud based virtual machines (e.g., Amazon EC2, Google Compute Engine, Azure Virtual Machines), or similar technology.
- Understanding of cloud resource economics and/or cloud resource bottlenecks
- 5+ years of experience managing products that support mission-critical B2B or SAAS workloads
- History of leading teams to overcome ambiguous product challenges
- Truth seeking; shown success using data science, customer interviews, and desire to understand what’s at the kernel of a problem and how to address it.
- Comprehensive health coverage including medical, dental, and vision
- 401(k) Plan
- Equity awards
- Flexible time off
- Paid parental leave
- Family Planning
- Gym reimbursement
- Annual personal development fund
- Work headphones reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Business travel accident insurance
Databricks is the data and AI company. More than 9,000 organizations worldwide — including Comcast, Condé Nast, and over 50% of the Fortune 500 — rely on the Databricks Lakehouse Platform to unify their data, analytics and AI. Databricks is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices around the globe. Founded by the original creators of Apache Spark™, Delta Lake and MLflow, Databricks is on a mission to help data teams solve the world’s toughest problems. To learn more, follow Databricks on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
At Databricks, we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone can excel. We take great care to ensure that our hiring practices are inclusive and meet equal employment opportunity standards. Individuals looking for employment at Databricks are considered without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other protected characteristics.
If access to export-controlled technology or source code is required for performance of job duties, it is within Employer’s discretion whether to apply for a U.S. government license for such positions, and Employer may decline to proceed with an applicant on this basis alone.