Who We Are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team in South San Francisco leverages this data to discover and develop new treatments that can offer significant benefits for patients with serious, unmet medical needs.
This dedicated research and drug development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe’s genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs towards clinical development. We currently have programs across several therapeutic areas, including but not limited to oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
We are seeking an outstanding Associate or Sr. Associate Scientist to join a collaborative, cross-functional research team committed to discovery and development of novel therapeutics. Successful self-motivated, independent, creative, and driven candidates will be trained and supported to develop their expertise and career in the field of drug discovery. Once in role, you will be trained to synthesize and integrate input from an experienced drug discovery team to inform their scientific investigations, with a particular focus on the development of their initiative and scientific independence. Successful candidates will be exposed to both early and later-stage drug discovery programs.
What You’ll Do
- Design and conduct biochemistry, molecular biology and cell biology research as a component of drug discovery programs
- Generate, analyze, document and present complex experimental data
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
- Flexibility to perform other related duties as assigned
What You’ll Bring
- B.S. with 10 years of experience or M.S. with 6 years of experience, or Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology or related field
- Experience conducting laboratory research in an industrial or academic lab setting.
- Experience in mammalian cell culture and genetic engineering of culture cell lines
- Exceptional scientific thought process, specifically in relation to high-quality experimental design and subsequent data interpretation
- Extensive molecular biology experience, with high proficiency in cell line engineering (cloning, gene editing, transgene expression, tool cell line creation)
- Strong understanding of human genetics, as it pertains to human disease
- Experience in the development, characterization and optimization of biochemical/cellular assays
- Ability to perform focused experiments with the goal of answering specific and defined molecular biology questions in order to drive drug discovery efforts
- The desire to develop the skills, expertise and experience to drive your career in the drug discovery space
Note: Job title will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials.
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at [email protected] 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.
23andMe takes a market-based approach to pay, and amounts will vary depending on your geographic location. The salary range reflected here is for a candidate based in the San Francisco Bay Area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
$102,000 - $154,000 USD
Sr. Associate Scientist:
$115,000 - $173,000 USD