Posted on 11/2/2022
Dayton, OH, USA
- Ph.D., DVM, or M.D. with at least 5 years of experience in animal physiology, animal imaging, medical physics, bioengineering, or a related scientific field or
- A minimum of five years' experience conducting original research, including the design and implementation of protocols with animal models, data analysis, and report production
- Strong background in physiological research methodology with experience in research methods, design, and statistical analysis in a research setting
- Strong background in animal imaging, animal physiology and translation to human physiology and performance
- Extensive experience in ultrasound techniques on small animals, to include cardiovascular and cancer imaging
- Experience in human imaging a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Proficiency in the use of common statistical analysis software, to include SigmaPlot, SPSS and SAS
- Strong technical writing background with experience in writing research proposals, animal use protocols for approval by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (human use/Institutional Review Board protocols a plus), technical reports, journal articles, and conference papers
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- Self-motivated and capable of working independently and with others
- Ability to obtain Secret Clearance
- US Citizen
- Design and conduct scientific research on the physiological responses to exposure to chemicals, extreme environmental conditions, to include temperature, humidity, altitude, vibrations, and noise, and/or physical demand. With specific focus on imaging and imaging technologies
- Work with a diverse team of scientists, including toxicologists, engineers, neuroscientists, chemists, psychologists, animal behaviorists and biologists, to accomplish the mission of understanding the health effects of operating in military settings
- Utilize animal models to evaluate the short- and long-term health and performance effects of acute and chronic exposure to chemicals, environmental stressors and/or physical demand
- Assist other investigators in the design and execution of research protocols on physiology and performance issues of interest to the Navy
- Collect and interpret imaging and physiology data from animal subjects, with an emphasis on cardiovascular and neuroimaging
- Collect data on blood flow in animal models following exposure and perform kinetic modeling
- Operate and maintain standard and specialized laboratory equipment regarding assessing physiological function and health effects following exposure
- Perform statistical analyses using SigmaPlot, Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS) or Statistical Analysis Software (SAS). Examples of the typical analyses required for successful performance include T-tests, Chi-Square, Analyses of Variance, Multivariate Analyses of Variance, analyses of covariance, multivariate analyses of covariance, correlations, linear regressions, multiple linear regressions, and power analyses
- Use multiple computer software packages to create spreadsheets and perform statistical routines
- Prepare technical reports, presentations, and publications
- Independently and proactively prepare mission-relevant proposal applications for toxicological, physiological, psychological, medical, and performance studies
- Develop technical reports, presentations, and publications
- Be willing and able to work nontraditional hours (e.g., nights, weekends) as needed
- Perform other duties as needed
- PhD plus 12 years of relevant experience
- Experience in a military or medical research environment is highly desired
- Demonstrated experience and success responding to research funding and grant requests for proposals
Scientific & engineering systems integration service
Leidos’s mission is to make the world safer, healthier, and more efficient through technology, engineering, and science. The company is a leader in systems integration and technical solutions while working closely with all branches of the U.S. military, the U.S. Department of Defense, other U.S. government civil agencies, and also customers in select markets across the globe.
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Health Savings account
- Income protection
- Paid parental leave
- Jury duty pay
- Bereavement leave
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Family Benefits
Company Core Values
- Integrity: Is having the courage to make tough ethical decisions, taking pride in our work, being transparent with our team, and being respectful of everyone.
- Inclusion: Is fostering a sense of belonging, welcoming all perspectives and contributions, and providing equal access to opportunities and resources for everyone.
- Innovation: Is not limited to our engineers and scientists. It is acting as a catalyst. Being tenacious and curious to help us excel and be a part of a learning organization.
- Agility: Is being flexible, creative, and resilient. It is our ability to think and act small while using the size and strength of our balance sheet to our advantage.
- Collaboration: Is being team-oriented and proactively engaging to meet shared objectives. It is about building relationships and staying connected with each other.
- Commitment: Is being accountable, taking ownership, modeling servant leadership, and operating with a sense of urgency to our customers and teams.