Sr. Functional Safety Engineer
Posted on 8/13/2022
Palo Alto, CA, USA
- Degree education in Electrical/Electronic or Mechanical (or similar)
- At least 5 years of experience within the automotive industry (or equivalent), ideally OEM or Tier 1 working within functional safety
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with a high level of integrity
- Experience working within a cross-functional team leading indirect reports
- Proven knowledge of ISO 26262 and experience applying within an OEM or Tier 1
- Good working knowledge of vehicle system functionality and electro/mechanical control strategy
- Ability to report to senior management and report accurate information in a clear and concise manner
- Working with systems engineering to understand the expected features and functions specific to a vehicle program
- Deriving a detailed Hazard and Risk Assessment (HARA) for a vehicle platform
- Deriving detailed Functional Safety Requirements (FSR's) for the vehicle platform
- Engaging with core engineering functional safety engineers in driving technical content for the Technical Safety Requirements (TSR's), hardware requirements, software requirements and deriving ASIL metrics
- Understanding high level safety implementation at a vehicle level but be able to transition to low level architecture and how safety requirements are applied to low level hardware and software
- Overseeing integration validation and testing activities between component hardware and software
- Leading Integration validation and testing at the vehicle level for functional safety requirements
- Maintaining a single source Safety Plan tracking the overall safety work at vehicle, system and component level
- Support defining Rivian's Safety portfolio by implementing a sustainable functional safety process
- Identify and adopt non-automotive safety standards supporting Rivian's safety portfolio
- Develop a comprehensive subset of practices/analyzes methodologies to be integrated into Rivian's safety portfolio
- Clearly define the role of the external supplier across Rivian's vehicle programs
- Deliver clear and concise technical updates on external supplier progress across Rivian's vehicle programs
- Guide core engineering teams in external supplier selection based on feature requirement and safety rating
Electric vehicles manufacturer
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. The company believes there is a more responsible way to explore the world and is determined to make the transition to sustainable transportation an exciting one. Rivian designed their emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles to challenge what's possible.
- Ownership for All: We offer every employee the opportunity to own Rivian stock through equity programs, supporting their financial wellness.
- Mental and Emotional Wellness: We provide employees and their families access to mental wellness platforms and our Employees Assistance Program
- Fertility and Family Planning: We support diverse family-building journeys, providing employees with benefits such as paid parental leave and financial support for adoption, fertility treatments or surrogacy.
- Competitive Compensation: We offer competitive compensation packages driven by mutual investment in our long-term growth and success.
- Career Development: We enable all employees to own their development. Continuous learning opportunities and tuition reimbursement help drive performance, boost engagement and develop future leaders.
- Transgender Benefits: In alignment with WPATH guidelines, our 2022 plans provide coverage toward medical, pharmacy and cosmetic needs.
Company Core Values
- A diverse workforce
- Embracing active allyship
- Purpose-driven partnerships
- Supporting our team