Branch is on a mission to help working Americans grow financially. We do this by helping companies accelerate payments and empower working Americans with accessible, fee-free financial services. We’re committed to building and delivering more inclusive and transparent financial products.
Come join our team as we develop new ways to improve the lives of working Americans. Our mission starts with empowering our own employees. Have a great idea? Share it today and it might just get implemented tomorrow. As a team member at Branch, your voice and creativity can directly impact the product and company. We not only attract great talent from across the country, but also build teams to help that talent to thrive. That means valuing a diversity of opinions and working styles, while creating a shared belief in innovation, initiative, and winning together.
This role is the first DBRE hire at Branch. This team is responsible for supporting all production database systems so that they run smoothly. We use MySql 8.0 running on Google Cloud Platform’s CloudSQL.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to
- Lead, and take ownership of our core database systems to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security
- Communicate critical data changes to the data warehousing team
- Work alongside both engineering teams and data teams to shepard schema changes from design to deployment to ensure architectural and downstream compatibility
- Build and maintain automated test and deployment data pipelines, including production level data testing at scale, with SRE and DevOps teams
- Proactively work on detecting weak areas and incorporate into automated monitoring and production alerting with our Cloud Ops teams
- Document and automate processes to eliminate time spent on recurring tasks
- Evaluate new database features (and products if needed) to meet scalability and global uptime requirements
- Support, debug, and perform RCA on production database issues
- 5+ years of experience managing MySQL/CloudSQL at scale
- Expert at SQL and MySQL specifics including schema design
- Deep knowledge of MySQL internals
- Solid understanding of MySQL replication, SQL tuning, and database optimization while minimizing downtime
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent program
- Bonus points for:
- Payments experience (or related industry)
- Experience with the GCP toolset
- Experience with infrastructure as code
- Experience with global, multi-region deployments including sharding, Cloud Spanner or equivalent
- Work from anywhere
- Branch-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Flexible time off
- Paid company holidays
- Paid parental leave
Branch is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Working at Branch
Headquartered in Minneapolis but with employees located all throughout the US, Branch emphasizes transparency, accountability, and trust to create a collaborative environment where our product, engineering, marketing, customer support, customer success, and sales teams can all thrive together.
Our teamwork has enabled us to become an award-winning fintech company, with Branch’s innovation and workplace recognized across industries. Branch has been honored by the Webby Awards, Benzinga Fintech Awards, Fintech Breakthrough Awards, the Star Tribune’s Top Workplaces, and EY Entrepreneur of the Year, Heartland, among others.
Learn more about our culture, approach, technology, and people here: https://www.branchapp.com/culture