Due to its remote and hybrid culture, Alation conducts all of its interviewing and onboarding virtually.
Big Data isn’t a problem. It’s an opportunity.
At Alation, we help people find, understand, and trust data. So they not only excel in their work — they drive value for their enterprise, team, and role. In the words of one customer, “Alation makes me look like a rockstar.”
We help companies like Pfizer and Salesforce empower their people with the best data every day. As a platform for innovation, Alation helps customers create game-changing solutions (like a program for early-stage disease detection with Pfizer) and connect people to great data in less time (like Salesforce, whose analysts can now find data 35% faster). And we’re just getting started.
With more than $340M in funding - valued at over $1.7 billion and 450+ customers with household names - Alation is poised to capitalize on data as an opportunity. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Alation was named to Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces list for the third time, and our exceptional Glassdoor rating (4.7 out of 5!) reflects a culture that makes coming to work each day a joy. Do you want to join a team that welcomes new ideas, supports your growth, and recognizes your unique value?
Alation’s Documentation team helps customers succeed by providing written explanations and instructions for using Alation. We collaborate with product managers, engineers, trainers, technical support, and many others to produce conceptual explanations, how-to guides, and reference topics that our customers need to achieve their goals with our software. As a technical writer intern, you will learn about all stages of the technical writing process by taking the documentation of a new feature from start to finish. You’ll also gain an understanding of how to evaluate and improve existing content.
What you’ll learn:
- How to research a new software feature by interviewing subject matter experts, gathering information at team meetings, and test driving the software
- How to plan and execute the documentation for a software feature, including conceptual explanations, how-to guides, screenshots or illustrations, and reference material
- How to get feedback and edits from stakeholders and peers and revise your documentation accordingly
- How to format and publish your documentation online using a modern technical authoring tool chain
- How to address “content debt” by analyzing, editing, and improving existing content
- Currently be pursuing a BA/BS in technical communication, business writing, English, or related field
- Love being able to explain complicated things to people, and do it well
- Have the ability to learn complex technical concepts quickly
- Possess excellent command of English grammar, spelling, and style
- Have a technical skill, such as knowledge of the command line, a programming language (especially SQL), or databases
- Submit a cover letter and writing sample that demonstrates the above qualities. Applications without a writing sample will not be considered. Can be linked in your application or emailed to us at [email protected]
More About Alation
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds - from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on
the basis of race, name, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
- High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
- Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
- Competitive pay and health offerings
- Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!