Who are we?
We’re a small, diverse team working at the cutting edge of machine learning. At Cohere, our mission is to build machines that understand the world and to make them safely accessible to all. Language is at the crux of this, but it can be difficult and expensive to parse the syntax, semantics, and context that all work together to give words meaning. The Cohere platform provides access to Large Language Models through its APIs that read billions of web pages and learns to understand the meaning, sentiment, and intent of the words we use in a richness never seen before.
We’ve raised our Series B
, signed a multi-year partnership with Google Cloud
, and we are focused on bringing our technology to market. We will partner with customers so they can build natural language understanding and generation into their products with just a few lines of code.
We’re ambitious — we believe our technology will fundamentally transform how industries interact with natural language. And we have the technical chops to back it up - Cohere’s CEO, Aidan Gomez, is a co-author of the groundbreaking paper “Attention is all you need”
, and was previously part of Google Brain. Our entire technical team is world-class.
We are focused on creating a diverse and inclusive work environment so that all of our team members can thrive. We welcome kind and brilliant people to our team, from wherever they come.
Why this role?
The Legal team at Cohere is a dynamic and highly-visible team that supports the organization by providing expedient and actionable legal advice and assistance. The role is very cross-functional and collaborative and will involve the successful candidate interacting with various teams across the organization.
The ideal person is analytical, collaborative, driven and has a passion for new and evolving areas of Privacy law focusing on Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning. This is an incredible opportunity to help shape the regulatory landscape for AI/ML law in Canada and globally.
Please Note: We have offices in Toronto, Palo Alto, and London but embrace being remote-first! We are ideally looking for candidates based in Canada or the US for this role.
What areas will the legal team be involved in?
- Answering questions, drafting legal documentation and providing guidance across the organization.
- Anticipating and resolving problems and issues in a practical manner, managing business objectives while reducing legal risk.
- Accelerating processes and company objectives to drive growth and reduce friction.
- Working cross-functionally with different stakeholders within the organization to balance competing needs and/or objectives.
- Building repeatable processes and improving organizational efficiencies.
- Overseeing and managing legal contracting, company policies and procedures.
As Privacy and AI Product Counsel, you will:
- Work closely with the Director of Legal on privacy and regulatory compliance issues.
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders, regulators and advisors to shape policy and establish best practices, across Canada, the US and the EU.
- Supported by the Director of Legal, serve as Cohere’s practice lead related to privacy law, compliance and ethical AI development.
- Work with leaders across the organization on compliance, ethics and safety matters.
- Review and update company policies to reflect changes in the law or business practices.
- Draft, negotiate and review provisions related to privacy law in commercial contracts.
- Develop legal strategy and processes on privacy, security and regulatory compliance.
- Implement best practices around client data, and engagement with vendors and customers.
You may be a good fit if:
- You have a minimum of 4+ years in private practice or in-house at a SaaS company with a focus on privacy law.
- Experience in AI/ML, new technologies and familiarity with current and proposed privacy/AI legislation (e.g. PIPEDA, GDPR, CCPA, AIDA, etc.) will be considered an asset
- You have experience working with regulators, policy makers, and commercial enterprises on privacy matters in multiple jurisdictions (e.g. Canada, US UK/EU)
- You have experience working with internal data and technical teams, and other company stakeholders on privacy issues
- You have experience with tech/enterprise contracting, startups (ideally venture-backed), and AI/Machine LearningYou are excited to help build out Cohere’s legal team functions, collaborate with other parts of the organization and are comfortable with the fast-paced and evolving nature of technology and tech startups
- You are a strong communicator (both written and oral), collaborator, and team player
If some of the above doesn’t line up perfectly with your experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you consider yourself a thoughtful worker, a lifelong learner, and a kind and playful team member, Cohere is the place for you.
We welcome applicants of all kinds and are committed to providing both an equal opportunity process and work environment. We value and celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive work environment for all.
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment
🧑💻 Work closely with a team on the cutting edge of AI research
🍽 Free daily lunch
🦷 Full health and dental benefits, including a separate budget to take care of your mental health
🐣 100% Parental Leave top-up for 6 months for employees based in Canada, the US, and the UK
🎨 Personal enrichment benefits towards arts and culture, fitness and well-being, quality time, and workspace improvement
🏙 Remote-flexible, offices in Toronto, Palo Alto, and London and coworking stipend
✈️ 6 weeks of vacation
Cohere provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.