Cell Technology Engineer
Posted on 1/6/2023
San Carlos, CA, USA
- 6+ years of experience working on electric vehicle high voltage battery systems, Li-Ion cell chemistries, and extensive knowledge of BMS architectures, design, function, and field-issue resolution
- Deep technical knowledge and hands-on experience with electric vehicle HV battery systems and BMS integration
- Expert level knowledge of common li-ion cell chemistries, form factors, cell construction, manufacturing processes, performance characteristics, and cell duration models
- Experience with li-ion cell electrical characterization testing, including test profile creation, parameter extraction, and performance analysis
- Experience and ability to work safely around high voltage systems up to 500VDC
- Expert level knowledge using simulation tools such as MATLAB/Simulink, LTSPICE, and/or programming tools such as Python, C, or C++
- Ability to work in a fast-paced development environment
- MS or PhD in chemical engineering, physics, material science, electrical engineering, or related relevant field
- In-depth Li-Ion cell evaluation on both internal electrochemistry, cell construction, cell manufacturing, performance, aging, and degradation aspects. Perform optimization and trade-off studies on identifying the best cell for our vehicle application
- Design cell characterization test plans and oversee test runs, analyze the data to extract cell parameters, and build a first principle based Li-Ion battery cell model which can be used to inform BMS functional, performance, and safety algorithms, expand this to predict internal degradation over given operation spec
- Actively participate in reviews and provide expert recommendations on HV battery and BMS system design based, functional safety concepts, system behaviors, control mechanization, and interfaces using system diagrams, signal flow diagrams, state machines, etc
- Direct in-house li-ion cell testing activities, analyze data and provide informed recommendations and direction for both current and future vehicle programs
- Participate in the root-causing process for field issues, and develop creative and timely solutions to support a vehicle fleet
- Familiarity with industry testing standards: SAE, MIL, UN, UL, GB/T, GTR
- Familiarity with 3D design tools
- High voltage and low voltage PCB design
- Familiarity with high voltage fusing architectures (fuse curve coordination, failure modes)
- Understanding of Lithium-Ion degradation and failure modes/mechanisms is a huge plus
- Understanding of EV DC charging technologies and global charging standards
- Understanding concepts of EMI/C is a huge plus
Self driving car robotics company
Zoox is reinventing personal transportation—making the future safer, cleaner, and more enjoyable for everyone. The company is building the infrastructure for self-driving cars.
- Health Insurance
- Maternity & Paternity Leave
- Vacation & Paid Time Off
- Sick Days
- Free Lunch or Snacks
- Employee Assitance Program
Company Core Values
- We're doing one thing that will change everything.
- It's bigger than any of us.
- One Zoox, one crew.
- Every day is a milestone.