At Kabam, we’re constantly raising the bar of excellence in free-to-play gaming. We hire for passion and diversity so that we can triumph in our collective skill. Our teams are made up of a fusion of personalities and interests bound together by a collaborative nature, fun-loving culture, and a drive to do what it takes to make great games. And this is where you come in…
Our Vancouver studio is looking for a Game Director to spearhead our next big AAA game project at Kabam. This is an unannounced cross-platform title, working closely with a major partner in entertainment.
As Game Director, you are responsible for creating, communicating, and realizing the vision for the game. You are a key leader on the team for both the creative vision and project execution. You work closely under the Game’s Executive Producer to lead and direct resources across the project, create the project roadmap, and bring your vision for the game to life. You partner with Kabam departments across Product, Operations, and Finance to ensure your vision for the game achieves business goals. You are the voice of what the game is, you understand clearly who the game is for, and you guide the team in deciding how the game is built.
Don’t live in Vancouver? Apply anyway! We support fully remote work setups for our employees.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Partner effectively with IP Stakeholders - Lead the development of world, characters, and story with any associated external IP Stakeholders, and drive Stakeholder approval of long-range creative development.
- Hold Game Creative Vision: Lead and be responsible for foundation and development of a future-facing roadmap, including key creative priorities to support business goals set out by the Executive Producer.
- Maintain Continuity and Canon: Curate a set of living World Rules, Glossary terms, and Narrative outlines and ensure standards are met by creative collaborators and stakeholders (internal and external).
- Own Execution Plan: Own the roadmap and priorities for the team. Drive the plan to make the game vision a reality using internal and external implementation resources. Ensure the execution plan is clear and realistic.
- Ensure Consistent Quality Delivery of Creative Content: Provide foundation and ultimately signs off on creative delivery, including world, narrative, character, quests, and other creative elements. Ensure fit, continuity, quality, and compelling creative direction for the product.
- Maintain Efficient Creative Pipelines: Set up and maintain the pipelines required to take creative production from idea to shipped software. Partner with Production, Tech Art, VFX, Engineering, Art, and Game Design to get the creative work into players’ hands reliably and efficiently.
Adding to the ingredient of success, you will bring:
- 5+ years demonstrated excellence working as a creative lead on major game projects
- A portfolio of shipped titles in which they were creatively involved
- 10+ years in games or multichannel entertainment development
- Exceptional communications skills, both verbal and written, concise and professional with all levels of the organization
- Solid business acumen paired with the ability to understand complex issues and synthesize the information into digestible pieces to share with the team
- Ability to forge strong relationships within the team, across different disciplines and departments within the organization
- Superb organizational, analytical and critical thinking skills
- A track record of strong leadership, leading by example and being comfortable with ambiguity
- Strong understanding of technologies associated with game development and production (capabilities and limitations)
- Remain current on competitor products, industry trends and techniques in art, storytelling, or game design
Our success is due to the hard work of our people. We share our success with our people through flexible benefits and reward programs, sweet swag, snacks, and more. Here’s a look at some of the support we provide our people:
- Extended Health Coverage: effective day one, no waiting period! Our benefits cover health, dental, life, disability, and extended paramedical services such as vision care, mental health practitioners, massage, physiotherapy, acupuncture, and much more.
- DEIB Benefits: DEIB is important to us and to our people - that’s why our benefits include gender-affirming care, fertility care, and other hormonal treatments and drugs.
- Flexible Spending Accounts: our benefits are built on a flex credit model, so you’re able to choose the coverage levels that are right for you, and allocate the rest to a group RRSP/TFSA, Health Spending account, and/or Personal Spending Account.
- RRSP Matching: everyone retires eventually, and we help our people save for their futures with a contribution matching program once you reach 90 days with us.
- PTO and Parental Leave: we offer paid parental leave, unlimited paid time off, paid time off for volunteering, sick leave, and holiday closures.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program: this program provides crisis management support, immediate mental health care, and generalized support for emotional, mental, and financial well-being.
- Telus Virtual Health: we provide increased access to remote healthcare providers for prescription refills or referrals from the comfort of your home.
- Learning and growth: We encourage people to grow both personally and professionally, and support this through regular lunch & learns and an education stipend.
- Pay transparency: We share with employees the pay range their role falls within and clear career maps to determine how they can grow within their role or level-up to a promotion.
- Cool spaces: Our offices are in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Vancouver, Montreal, Prince Edward Island, and Seoul. Whether it’s summers on the rooftop patio in Downtown Vancouver, watching the fireworks in Montreal’s South Shore, or trying local eats in Downtown Charlottetown - we want our people to feel like their time spent in office is worthwhile!
- Giving back: Our ‘Agents of Change’ initiative is how we support the communities close to our heart, and we have several events and fundraisers every year that Agents of Change organize.
Excited by this opportunity? Kabam is dedicated to growing our diverse and inclusive workforce, so if your past experience doesn’t perfectly match the listed requirements we encourage you to apply anyways - you could be a great fit for this or other positions.
We invite you to apply now and start the conversation with us. Together, we can create and support some of the best games ever made and entertain the world!
Kabam is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to building a diverse and equitable workplace, and inclusive environment for all existing and potential employees. Employment decisions are based on candidate qualifications and business need, not race, color, ancestry, place of origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, political belief, religion, creed, marital or family status, medical condition, genetic information, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, prior criminal conviction or any other protected class in accordance with federal, state or provincial and local laws and ordinances. Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Kabam is a world leader in developing entertaining, immersive, and highly social multiplayer games, bringing high-quality graphics, next-generation technology, and revolutionary gameplay to players around the world.
Founded in 2006, Kabam has studios and offices in Vancouver, Montreal and Charlottetown in Canada, Los Angeles and San Francisco in the United States, and in Seoul, South Korea. Kabam is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Netmarble Games.