Launched in 2016, The Hub Project is a nonprofit effort comprising a growing team of communications, research, operations, and organizing experts who have extensive experience in campaign strategy, digital, and polling and analytics. We believe in a country where everyone has the opportunity to succeed in our economy and participate in our democracy, and we make that vision a reality by partnering with advocacy groups – bringing surge capacity and coordination to build innovative and effective campaigns.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We value diversity and inclusion and are committed to creating an environment where people from all backgrounds can participate, grow, and succeed in our organization. We believe we have a duty to use our power and privilege to contribute to transformational change to ensure our government is working for everyone and that all families have a fair shot.
Reports to: Communications Director
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Salary Range:$70k - $80k
The Hub Project has an immediate opening for a writer to support storytelling and messaging for democracy and accountability campaigns. We are looking for someone with a sharp political gut and experience writing a variety of materials, including talking points, newsletters, social copy, speeches, op-eds, LTEs, press releases, statements, web copy, content scripts, and more. The person in this role will help establish the voice and tone of our campaign work, and should be comfortable writing in a variety of styles and voices. They will work closely with our growing network of surrogates to help tell stories in their voices, and should have experience honoring and bringing to life diverse perspectives.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks :
- Write salient campaign and issue messaging for partners, spokespeople and other stakeholders
- Draft and edit communications materials and content, including statements, press releases, scripts, newsletters, speeches, web copy, op-eds, LTEs, and other media resources
- Translate policy and opposition research into digestible and compelling content, reports and other public-facing materials
- Help lead our rapid response efforts, working closely with the communications team to identify opportunities, develop quick guidance on framing, and execute both traditional and creative rapid response tactics
- Write comprehensive campaign communications plans focused on achieving our program goals
- Work closely with our council of storytellers to elevate their voices and perspectives through op-eds, LTEs, video scripts and other materials
- Create and manage proactive communications calendars to ensure consistent content development
- Collaborate with colleagues managing our research, digital, campaign and operations efforts to advance the program and ensure streamlined execution
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- All employees of NVF are required to complete timesheets
Required Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability :
- At least 4 years of demonstrated, relevant work experience in communications, campaign, issue advocacy, agency, political or other relevant settings
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- A deep understanding of political news and dynamics
- Well organized with the ability to prioritize across multiple projects and deliver results under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Commitment to progressive causes and equity
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within team settings
- Flexibility and an openness to evolving responsibilities
This position is included in a union-represented collective bargaining unit; specific employment terms and conditions are subject to labor-management negotiations and a potential Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Comprehensive benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees (and their families). Employees are able to enroll in 401k retirement plan and are eligible for a 3% automatic contribution and up to a 3% employer match on 401k contributions. Employees are also eligible for pre-tax transportation benefits. Employees will receive 120 hours of vacation time, 80 hours of health leave, up to 2 days of casual leave, and 20 hours of volunteer leave annually. Employees will also receive 13 paid holidays throughout the calendar year. Employees are eligible for 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave after 90 days of employment.
The Hub is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
COVID-19 Safety Considerations and Vaccination Policy
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, The Hub requires that any employee must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees are expected to report to work in person; all individuals entering the Hub offices will be asked to produce vaccination documentation for entrance to the premises. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law by contacting human resources at [email protected]
How to apply
To begin the application process, click "Apply For This Job." This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from The Hub. Thank you for your interest.