Staff Backend Software Engineer
Posted on 4/4/2023
Remote • United States
- 8+ years of software development experience in one or more general-purpose programming languages; Go, Python, Rust
- Experienced with distributed caching layers, and distributed large scale data storage systems like Cassandra
- Experience driving 0-1 projects to launch
- Experience working on large-scale consumer facing applications
- Experience partnering effectively with cross-functional teams in a fully remote environment and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to prioritize tasks and to deliver projects on schedule
- BS degree in Computer Science, a similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience
- Entrepreneurial spirit. You are self-directed, innovative, and biased towards action in fast-paced environments. You love to build new things and thrive in ambiguity and even failure
- Work cross-functionally with product, design, and other engineering counterparts to execute on product and business strategy and build novel products and features that our users will love
- Contribute to the full development cycle: technical design, development, test, experimentation, analysis, and launch. You'll be reviewing code and design docs, giving feedback on product specs and mocks
- Participate with a team of thoughtful, fast-moving, and motivated engineers. Contribute to standards that improve developer workflows, recommend best practices, and help mentor junior engineers on the team to grow their technical expertise
- Mentor junior engineers on the team to grow their technical expertise
- Experienced with GraphQL, REST, HTTP, Thrift or gRPC basics, and the ability to design and implement maintainable APIs is a plus
Social news website & forum
Reddit's mission is to bring community and belonging to everyone in the world. The company operates a social news website and forum where content is socially curated by members.
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Flexible unlimited vacation days & monthly global wellness days
- Family planning funds & 4+ months paid parental leave
- Personal & professional development funds
- Paid volunteer time off
- Workspace & home office benefits
Company Core Values
- Evolve: Only by continually improving and learning will we succeed.
- Add Value: We constantly evaluate our work to ensure it’s adding value and bringing us closer to achieving our mission. It’s easy to fall into the trap of conflating activity with value. Adding value requires hard work, but not all hard work is valuable.
- Default: Open The free flow of ideas and feedback is the lifeblood of a healthy organization, and Reddit must embrace it if we are to thrive.