Posted on 10/11/2022
Remote • Mountain View, CA, USA
- Proven ability to create high-impact learning content in your discipline (5+ years of content development experience in several grade 5-12 Humanities subjects, including History/Civics and/or Reading/Writing. Candidates with fewer years of experience will be considered for hire as a Content Creator, Humanities)
- Strong understanding of how students like to learn and insight into common misconceptions (5 + years of relevant teaching/tutoring experience. Candidates with fewer years of experience will be considered for hire as a Content Creator, Humanities)
- Desire to teach at scale, engage a broad array of learners, and question your assumptions about what's most important for learners
- Desire to leverage online tools to publish quickly, gather user feedback, and iterate on content
- Highly analytical and able to make tough prioritization calls in service of most critical metrics
- An entrepreneurial mindset, including a high tolerance for ambiguity, a penchant for experimentation, and a bias toward action
- Strong interest in building replicable systems and minimizing unnecessarily reinventing the wheel
- Experience leading collaborative work on time-sensitive projects
- Impeccable command of written communication; an energetic can do attitude as a fluent and efficient content creator, a keen editorial eye for high quality text in exercises and articles, and a knack for empowering, supportive peer review
- Meticulous attention to detail and time management skills
- Project management skills (e.g. fluent with Google docs and spreadsheets and other tools) and a willingness to learn new tools
- A passion for education and a desire to change the world
- Work with the content team to expand our Humanitiesofferings (including History, Civics, Reading and Writing) by leveraging market research, your subject matter expertise, and your understanding of learner needs
- Develop course scopes and sequences, including units, lessons, and content assets (articles, videos, exercises)
- Create and curate high quality content on schedule, designing and developing new standards-aligned exercises and articles, leveraging pre-existing resources from Khan Academy and third parties, and scripting (and possibly recording) engaging lesson videos
- Be accountable for content from any contractors and 3rd parties used to build out the courses you're working on
- Track the performance and usage of content in the courses in your purview
- Leverage analytics, community features, and campaigns to attract and retain learners
- Learn and use our content management system to improve existing courses and build new courses
- Act as an editorial expert by reviewing new content, participating in the maintenance of existing content, and working with partners
- Contribute to the long-term strategic direction of Khan Academy's content efforts by improving upon our processes around content sourcing, sharing insights with other members of the team, and advocating for learners
- Aptitude and experience with program management, coordinating complex projects, working with vendors, contractors, and other stakeholders
- Classroom teaching experience
- An advanced degree in a Humanities and/or Teaching field
Khan Academy's mission is to provide a free, world‑class education for anyone, anywhere.
- Competitive salaries
- Health and wellness benefits
- Flexible time off
- 401(k) + matching
- Affinity groups
- Paid parental leave
- Fun virtual events
Company Core Values
- Live and breathe learners - We deeply understand and empathize with our users. We leverage user insights, research, and experience to build content, products, services, and experiences that our users trust and love. Our success is defined by the success of our learners and educators.
- Take a stand - As a company, we have conviction in our aspirational point of view of how education will evolve. The work we do is in service to moving towards that point of view. However, we also listen, learn and flex in the face of new data, and commit to evolving this point of view as the industry and our users evolve.
- Embrace diverse perspectives - We are a diverse community. We seek out and embrace a diversity of voices, perspectives and life experiences leading to stronger, more inclusive teams and better outcomes. As individuals, we are committed to bringing up tough topics and leaning into different points of view with curiosity. We actively listen, learn and collaborate to gain a shared understanding. When a decision is made, we commit to moving forward as a united team.
- Work responsibly and sustainably - We understand that achieving our audacious mission is a marathon, so we set realistic timelines and we focus on delivery that also links to the bigger picture. As a non-profit, we are supported by the generosity of donors as well as strategic partners, and understand our responsibility to our finite resources. We spend every dollar as though it were our own. We are responsible for the impact we have on the world and to each other. We ensure our team and company stay healthy and financially sustainable.
- Deliver wow - We insist on high standards and deliver delightful, effective end-to-end experiences that our users can rely on. We choose to focus on fewer things - each of which aligns to our ambitious vision - so we can deliver high-quality experiences that accelerate positive measurable learning with our strategic partners.
- Cultivate learning mindset - We believe in the power of growth for learners and for ourselves. We constantly learn and teach to improve our offerings, ourselves, and our organization. We learn from our mistakes and aren’t afraid to fail. We don't let past failures or successes stop us from taking future bold action and achieving our goals.
- Bring out the joy - We are committed to making learning a joyful process. This informs what we build for our users and the culture we co-create with our teammates, partners and donors.