Strategy & Crisis
Posted on 11/30/2023
Full-service communications and narrative consulting firm
Sunshine Sachs Morgan & Lylis stands out as a full-service communications and narrative consulting firm that shapes public image across various mediums, underpinned by the belief that good ideas can influence cultural conventions and redefine success across industries. The company fosters a supportive work environment with comprehensive benefits, flexible work schedules, professional growth opportunities, and a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. With a culture that encourages socializing, learning, and community involvement, SSM&L provides a unique blend of professional development and personal growth opportunities, making it an attractive place to work.
New York, New York
Growth & Insights
6 month growth↑ 2%
1 year growth↓ -2%
2 year growth↓ -3%
New York, NY, USA
Business & Strategy
IT & Security
- 1 year of experience in communications, social media, politics, public relations, etc.
- Strong writing skills
- Eager to network and build connections in the media industry
- Strategic thinker and creative brainstormer
- Strong decision-making abilities and accountability
- Curious and entrepreneurial
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Willingness to work select evenings/weekends
- Enjoy overdelivering and taking pride in being part of something good
- Learn the ins and outs of integrated communications
- Create and maintain media lists
- Schedule and provide logistical support for client meetings and events
- Support client account teams
- Monitor news cycles and flag relevant information for clients
- Communicate effectively with senior staff
- Occasionally attend and support client events
- Administer accounts and develop reports
- Internship experience in the industry
- Strong persuasive and concise writing skills
- Strong networking skills
- Ability to bring new ideas to the table
- Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Flexible work schedule
- Willingness to go above and beyond
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and ability
Sunshine Sachs Morgan & Lylis is proud to represent clients across many industries including entertainment, social good, tech and lifestyle and we tell their stories through a variety of mediums. We know that even during the toughest times, our responsibility to our clients and each other can bring meaningful and long-lasting impact for those affected the most. We’re proud of each and every campaign we execute, but you may be wondering why we don’t have more than a landing page as our website. While many of our clients are household names (you know them, we’re sure of it), our digital footprint is purposefully small. We fly under the radar and we like it that way.
If you are fired up and ready to do good, join us!
We have an immediate opening for an Assistant in our growing Strategy & Crisis team. What does this mean? You’re cool and calm under pressure and view multitasking across multiple timely projects as the norm. Your analytical skills are tough to beat, and you’re able to strategize a best course of action based on research, data and measurement. You wake up every day reading everything from POLITICO and The Washington Post to the The Hollywood Reporter, and also have a keen understanding of how to navigate the social media landscape and its various platforms. You’re able to move quickly and want to learn from top crisis communications specialists.
Assistants are the essential foundation of many teams and account-critical administrative functions. We teach our assistants the skills they need to grow, however, from Day 1, we expect them to exhibit behaviors that define the most successful communications professionals.
Our candidate is curious, eager and open to trying new things, eager to learn all aspects of integrated communications (from media relations to social media, creative, brand integration, and talent integration). Even though this may be their first professional job, they demonstrate emotional maturity in their interpersonal interactions. They are collaborative and inclusive of others. They are often the first point of contact for special guests, clients and visitors at the company and, as such, they are a clear communicator, professional and courteous.
- Willingness and an interest to soak it all in; learn the ins and outs of integrated communications (talent/influencer integration, media relations, social media, creative and brand integration).
- Creating and maintaining lists! Lots of lists! Specifically, media lists.
- Scheduling and providing logistical support for client meetings and events.
- Supporting client account teams as needed.
- Monitoring news cycles and flagging latest “pop culture moments”, competitor news, for clients.
- Communicating effectively with senior staff on status of requested tasks and projects.
- Occasionally attending and supporting the execution of client events
- Support administration of accounts including developing agendas, meeting recaps, activity reports, client status reports, budget trackers, etc.
You Should Apply If:
- You have 1 year of experience in this industry (communications, social media, politics, public relations, etc.) Internships count!
- You are a strong writer – persuasive, concise, creative, and quick!
- You are eager to network and build connections in the media industry
- You are a strategic thinker, bring new ideas to the table, and love a good brainstorm.
- You have strong decision-making abilities and accountability; this is an important role, own it!
- You have an innate curiosity and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- You are incredibly organized, detail oriented and able to excel at managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- You’re willing to work select evenings/weekends– our clients often need us to GO, GO, GO!
- You enjoy overdelivering rather than meeting expectations and take genuine pride in being part of something good.
Benefits x Perks
We go well beyond the benefits that you’re looking for like medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with matching, annual merit-based bonuses, PTO, fertility, FSA for medical, childcare, and commuter expenses. Sunshine Sachs Morgan & Lylis offers those benefits and many perks including, a flexible work schedule, Work from Anywhere program, Summer Fridays, Wellness Days, and a 4-week sabbatical or trip to celebrate select anniversaries. We love to socialize so, we have collaborative workspaces, some offices even have rooftops, celebrations, networking opportunities, and community volunteering. We frequently mark opportunities to listen, learn and act throughout the year (Juneteenth, Election Day, International Women’s Day, etc.).
SSM&L is committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and ability. We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, identity and expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
From day one, employees are carefully matched with a mentor to guide them on their path to success. Training and mentoring are a big deal here and since we are into promoting from within, we make sure to provide more than enough tools for you to learn and grow. We are proud to offer training throughout the year on topics for professional growth as well as personal growth. We have also developed a series of teaching workshops that are structured for each level of the company. Sunshiners also take love to take advantage of the monthly Meet the Media series where media contacts provide valuable insider info for pitching them and their colleagues.