We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
Learn more about our work modes, benefits, and interview process at www.chanzuckerberg.com/careers.
CZI strives to be a learning organization that’s responsive to an evolving world while also maintaining a commitment to and focus on existing strategies. The Chief of Staff for Science will support the Head of Science in managing CZI Science organization-wide strategic initiatives and leadership efforts to ensure complex, multi-stakeholder efforts are coordinated appropriately. The Chief of Staff for Science will serve as an air traffic controller for the leader and the senior team, as an integrator connecting work streams that would otherwise remain siloed and as a communicator linking the Science leadership team and the broader organization. The Chief of Staff position for Science oversees:
- Science leadership team project management: Support the Head of Science and the Science leadership team to carry out strategic objectives. Project manage leadership team efforts to ensure on-time delivery and open communication throughout the process.
- Coordination of Science org-wide review and goals process: Manage the Science team high-level internal review and goal-setting processes in partnership with our operational leaders across the Science and Sci Tech organization. Drive the overall Science team execution, tracking, and monitoring of these projects and monitoring of outcomes.
- Management the CZI Science Science Advisory Board (SAB): Develop relationships with and coordinate the biannual meetings of the SAB. Coordinate other interactions with Science leadership. Develop and deliver communications with the board to ensure they are informed and that CZI is receiving feedback from the SAB on a regular basis.
- Other special projects as assigned.
What You’ll Do
You will serve in a senior project management function, focusing on high-priority, Science organization-wide processes and communication. You will also be a conduit to the Science Advisory Board, and you will be an interface between the Head of Science and external organizations seeking to work with CZI Science.
- Design, manage and/or implement time-bound high-priority projects in service of the Science initiative. May manage day-to-day execution of projects.
- Help develop and manage Science team-facing processes for emerging needs and priorities pulling in relevant internal stakeholders throughout the process. For example, scope a durable, Science-wide process for mid-year reviews and goal setting (requires interactions with Science internal and CZI-wide stakeholders).
- Add capacity and relevant skills to existing Science functional teams as they scope and develop new projects, policies and strategies across a wide variety of content areas.
- Design and manage Science leadership team meetings and other executive-level meetings to facilitate effective meetings to track follow-ups and accomplish goals.
- Work with leaders across the CZ Science ecosystem to support cross-organization communication, relationships, and collaborative models.
- Develop communications for the Head of Science for internal and external audiences.
- Other projects as needed.
What You’ll Bring
- 8+ years of total relevant work experience; with 3+ years managing projects in a complex and/or matrixed environment
- Depth in complex project management, autonomously identifying issues and opportunities for process improvements, project scoping (goals/outcomes of a project, timelines, and work-plans, necessary resources, etc.), identifying partner roles and responsibilities and driving the implementation of a project to achieve determined outcomes
- A demonstrated background and undergraduate degree in a life sciences or engineering discipline
- Masters degree preferred
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and determine priorities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills – the ability to navigate strong and productive relationships quickly with a diverse group of people and communication styles
- Proven ability to work and build positive relationships across a variety of audiences and perspectives
- Natural curiosity and ability to ramp up quickly in new content areas, leveraging the expertise of others
- Strong analytical skills, particularly in breaking down complex and ambiguous problems
- Comfort working in an ambiguous, matrixed environment, where decisions happen fast and we learn by doing and adapt as needed
- Thrives in navigating through ambiguity and building new things
The Redwood City, CA base pay range for this role is $193,000 - $290,000. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of The Primary School in East Palo Alto, and Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Meta, announced the creation of CZI shortly after welcoming their first child in 2015 — with the goal of helping build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone. Their idea was ambitious but grounded in the belief that by harnessing technology, we can tackle some of the greatest challenges of our time in new ways to help drive faster progress.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!
CZI believes that vaccines are one of the most powerful tools to fight COVID-19 and save lives. It aligns to our mission and work to cure, manage, and prevent disease. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required for all employees (with the exception of reasonable accommodations due to medical or religious beliefs). All visitors coming onsite to a CZI facility are required to show proof of COVID vaccination or take an onsite COVID test.