The Charging Systems Engineering team at Zoox is responsible for the design, development, and production of a highly reliable charging system specifically tailored for charging our SAE L5 autonomous electric vehicle. Our team has an action-biased culture marked by integrity, humility, competence, and passion for the Zoox mission and the systems we design. We are building real products here and are looking for doers to join us.
As a Senior Charging Systems Engineer you will be working on system design, system definition, system analysis, system behaviors, and control mechanization of our SAE L5 EV High Voltage Battery Charging System. This will include coming up with various system requirements based on a first principle system design approach, meeting various SAE, UL, IEC, and ISO standards, and helping various stakeholders both internal and external to the team and company. Work cross-functionally with several amazing engineers to solve complex system problems by breaking them down into more solvable problems. You will work closely with cross-functional teams to understand the root causes of failures, identify mitigation strategies, and incorporate learnings into new designs.
- Design and develop charging system architecture and system design based on the first principles approach, functional safety concepts, and detailed system analysis
- Come up with system behaviors, control mechanization, and interfaces using system diagrams, signal flow diagrams, state machines, etc.
- Perform system analysis as needed for all aspects of optimization, controls, and performance to guide various components including charging infrastructure
- Evaluate charging system HV/LV EE components and FW controls using simulation tools and engineering analysis based on the first principles approach to come up with safety protection, deratings, and operating schemas
- Future charging systems technology evaluation (tech risk assessment, trade studies)
- Be a subject matter expert and provide guidance to both technical and non-technical teams internal and external to Zoox to build a best-in-class charging system
- Support system integration, driving DFMEA, fault tree analysis, and come up with, fault diagnostics, fault handling, etc
- 5+ years of experience working on electric vehicle charging systems that are conceived from the early concept stage to launching into the market and solving field issues
- Deep technical knowledge of electric vehicle HV battery systems and charging technologies, methodologies, and controls
- Indepth understanding of various EV DC charging technologies and global charging standards such as SAE J1772, ISO15118, IEC 61851, CHAdeMO, etc, and regulatory requirements including UL, ISO, IEC, etc
- Experience with automotive communication protocols (CAN, LIN, Flexray, Ethernet, SPI, I2C) and power domains
- Experience and ability to work safely around high voltage systems up to 500VDC and US power LV service power grid 1-ph and 3-ph
- Experience using simulation tools such as MATLAB/Simulink, LTSPICE, and programming tools such as Python, C, and C++
- Ability to work in a fast-paced development environment
- Familiarity with industry testing standards (SAE, MIL, UN, UL, GB/T, GTR)
- Familiarity with 3D design tools
- High voltage and low voltage PCB design
- Understanding of Lithium-Ion degradation and failure modes/mechanisms is a huge plus
- Understanding concepts of EMI/C is a huge plus
- There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $155,000 to $255,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate’s relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
- Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.