6 month growth↑ 1%
1 year growth↑ 3%
2 year growth↑ 15%
- At least 3 years of relevant cloud security experience
- Proficiency in AWS and GCP environments
- Experience with Linux environments, TCP/IP networking, and securing Kubernetes workloads
- Expertise in automation technologies like Terraform, Ansible, Docker
- Familiarity with CI/CD management using GitHub Actions, CircleCI, and/or Jenkins
- Strong understanding of web service architectures
- Desire to improve DevSecOps practices
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Desire to mentor and educate engineers on security topics
- Conduct thorough security audits of existing cloud assets
- Architect and implement security strategies for cloud-based applications
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams as stakeholders
- Lead educational initiatives for engineers
- Embed security measures into the continuous integration and deployment pipeline
- Utilize Terraform and Kubernetes to maintain and secure the cloud presence
- Work with teams throughout engineering to develop microservice and API solutions
- Security-related industry certifications, especially as it relates to the Cloud (AWS or GCP)
- Hands-on familiarity with leading, guiding, or mentoring business units through cybersecurity education initiatives
Hi, we are ecobee.
ecobee introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat to help millions of consumers save money, conserve energy, and bring home automation into their lives. That was just the beginning. We continue our pursuit to create technology that brings peace of mind into the home and allows people to focus on the moments that matter most. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting, connected home revolution.
In 2021, ecobee became a subsidiary of Generac Power Systems. Generac introduced the first affordable backup generator and later created the category of automatic home standby generator. The company is committed to sustainable, cleaner energy products poised to revolutionize the 21st century electrical grid. Together, we take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment.
Why we love to do what we do:
We’re helping build the world of tomorrow with solutions that improve everyday life while making a positive impact on the planet. Our products and services work in harmony to provide comfort, efficiency, and peace of mind for millions of homes and businesses. While we’re proud of what we’ve done so far, there’s still a lot we can do—and you can be part of it.
Join our extraordinary team.
We’re a rapidly growing global tech company headquartered in Canada, in the heart of downtown Toronto, with a satellite office in Leeds, UK (and remote ecopeeps in the US). We get to work with some of North America and UK’s leading professionals. Our colleagues are proud to bring their authentic selves to work, confident that what we do is grounded in a greater purpose. We’re always looking for curious, talented, and passionate people to join our team.
Who you’ll be joining.
At ecobee, we are committed to building innovative and secure smart home solutions. As an Intermediate Cloud Security Engineer, you will play a critical role in safeguarding our cloud infrastructure and services – implementing and managing security solutions in cloud environments focusing on AWS and GCP. You will be joining a small but growing security team with a wide range of expertise. Our team is responsible for all security from IT to application, privacy and compliance.
Safeguarding our customers’ trust in us is ecobee’s top priority. Our challenges run from automating our systems and building continuous delivery environments, to supporting millions of simultaneous TCP sockets and ingesting nearly a terabyte of telemetry data a day. We aim to do this with high reliability and security in mind. If you are someone who enjoys finding creative solutions to complex cloud-based security challenges, then consider joining us in making connected home devices safer for everyone.
Though our hive is in Toronto, Ontario this role is open to being 100% remote within Canada. You may be required to travel to Toronto once per quarter for team and/or company events.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Regularly conduct thorough security audits of existing cloud assets using integrated security tooling to identify vulnerabilities and risks as well as develop mitigation solutions while maintaining functional efficiency.
- Architect and Implement security strategies for cloud-based applications, ensuring compliance with industry standard benchmarks (ISO 27001, ISO 27400, NIST CSF).
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams as stakeholders, advising and addressing risks while balancing product needs, focusing on security best practices and privacy-conscious results for all scales of problems, from small remediations to managing long-term projects.
- Close collaboration with SRE and engineering stakeholders across the business focusing on both new buildouts and hardening legacy infrastructure.
- Lead and coordinate educational initiatives for our engineers, encouraging a culture of continuous learning and curiosity, focusing on enhancing cybersecurity skills and awareness as it relates to cloud security.
- Embed security measures into the continuous integration and deployment pipeline. Working alongside engineering teams to ensure security is a core component of all cloud-based solutions.
- Utilize Terraform and Kubernetes, adhering to standard Infrastructure as Code (IaC) methodologies, to maintain and secure our cloud presence.
- Dive headfirst into our codebase, working with teams throughout engineering to develop microservice and API solutions that enhance cloud security within the constraints of embedded systems.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- At least 3 years of relevant cloud security experience, with hands-on experience in AWS and GCP environments.
- Proficiency in cloud operations, network architecture, Public Key Infrastructure (PKI), and cloud-native authentication mechanisms. Familiarity with cloud provider ecosystems and foundational services.
- A working background with Linux environments, TCP/IP networking, and with securing highly available Kubernetes workloads.
- Expertise in building infrastructure using automation technologies like Terraform, Ansible, Docker.
- Familiarity with CI/CD management using GitHub Actions, CircleCI, and/or Jenkins.
- Experience with security incident response
- A strong understanding of web service architectures.
- A desire to improve DevSecOps practices across the organization.
- Excellent communication skills for interacting with, advising, and decomposing risk to various stakeholders.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting abilities with effective teamwork orientation.
- A strong desire to mentor and educate engineers on various security topics.
- You codify everything, seek to automate toil, and are excited to share your knowledge to cultivate security champions.
Bonus points for:
- Security-related industry certifications, especially as it relates to the Cloud (AWS or GCP).
- Hands-on familiarity with leading, guiding, or mentoring business units through cybersecurity education initiatives, such as organizing Capture the Flag (CTF) events or using gamified platforms.
Interview Process (3 Rounds)
Round 1: A 30-minute phone call with a member of our talent acquisition team. An information gathering session to aimed at ensuring ecobee understands your background and skills, and that you understand the opportunity being offered by ecobee.
Round 2: A 90-minute virtual interview with the Security Engineering team for a discussion about your technical expertise.
Round 3: A 60-minute virtual interview with our Director of Security for a discussion on your values and business strategy.
With ecobee, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Be part of something big: Get to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry.
- Make a difference for the environment: Make a sustainable impact while on your daily job, and after it through programs like ecobee acts.
- Expand your career: Learn with our in-house learning enablement team, and enjoy our generous professional learning budget.
- Put people first: Benefit from competitive salaries, health benefits, and a progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top-up or five bonus days off).
- Play a part on an exceptional culture: Enjoy a fun and casual workplace with an open concept office, located at Queens Quay W & York St. ecobee Leeds is based at our riverside office on the Calls.
- Celebrate diversity: Be part of a truly welcoming workplace. We offer a mentorship program and bias training.
Are you interested? Let’s make it work.
Our people are empowered to take ownership of their schedules with workflows that allow for flexible hours. Based on your job, you have an option of a office-based, fully remote, or hybrid work environment. New team members working remotely, will have all necessary equipment provided and shipped to them, and we conduct our interviews and onboarding sessions primarily through video.
We’re committed to inclusion and accommodation.
ecobee believes that openness and diversity make us better. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply regardless of race, gender, age, religion, identity, or any other aspect which makes them unique. Accommodations can be made upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Our recruitment team is happy to answer any questions candidates may have about virtual interviewing, onboarding, and future work locations.
We’re up to incredible things. Come and be part of them.
Ready to join ecobee? View current openings.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.