Pyka is looking for a deployed flight test engineer to support the development and commercial deployments of its advanced autonomous aircraft. You will set up the first missions of our planes in different locations abroad, and train and support our customers as they operate the aircraft. This is your opportunity to test, evaluate, and deploy the aircraft of the future.
After a two month initial training in Merced, CA, you will spend most of your time (~60%) deployed at customer sites for periods of 3 to 5 weeks.
A typical deployment cycle in this role is:
- Recurrent training and preparation at Pyka test facilities in Merced, CA - 1 week
- Deployment abroad - 4 weeks
- Optional time off - 2 weeks
This is a multidisciplinary role that interacts with internal and external organizations, so written and verbal communication skills are critical. You will be instrumental in ensuring the standardization of aircraft ground and flight operations and procedures, instructional techniques, as well as informing the evolution of the product itself.
An engineering degree is not required, although the candidate must be technically knowledgeable, and preferably have experience with flight operations with either manned aircraft or UAVs.
Pyka’s goal is to provide society with a new form of fast, environmentally friendly, and accessible transportation enabled by autonomous electric aviation.
To get there, we’re taking a different approach than most. We’re applying our technologies to every industry where electric aircraft can be useful, starting with the highest value and most dangerous jobs. In doing so, we’re building useful, game-changing products manufactured at scale, while perfecting the safety, reliability, and capabilities of our autonomy engine and electric propulsion systems.
Today, we supply our aircraft to agricultural service providers and farmers as an autonomous tool that makes aerial crop protection safer, more targeted and less harmful to surrounding environments. Our vehicles are highly economical to operate and easy to deploy. What you work on at Pyka makes people’s lives better now and brings the future of electric aviation one-step closer each day.
We design, develop and manufacture an ecosystem of technologies including proprietary flight control software, avionics, high power density motors, motor controllers, batteries, and custom carbon-fiber composite airframes.
We foster a welcoming community within our company that promotes experimentation, asking questions, making simple solutions to complex problems, and expressing different views and opinions. We are a transparent company both internally and externally and do not believe in operating in “stealth mode.” Lastly, we don’t work 60 hour weeks, and don’t expect you to either. In this role you will have a great deal of responsibility, earn a competitive salary and benefits, and contribute to the development of groundbreaking technology.
- Travel to and participate in international commercial deployments (Central America, South America to start) to support flight testing, customer training and product support
- Guarantee continuous operations at customer sites by identifying, troubleshooting and fixing any arising issues, with the remote help of Pyka’s engineering teams
- Recommend new features, improvements, design changes, etc. to the design team
- Conduct diverse fleet maintenance activities, involving the aircraft itself, ground infrastructure, laptops, and batteries
- Assemble, prepare and fully test airframe airworthiness after shipment to customer sites
- Serve as Pilot In Command or Ground Control Operator of experimental / developmental unmanned aircraft
- Lead and/or participate in ground and flight test events as Test Conductor or Test Crew member
- Manage complex logistics in support of flight operations
- Experience flying fixed wing UAVs / model aircraft or large multirotors
- Experience with ground control and mission planning software
- Experience with mechanical and electrical systems, assembly, and troubleshooting
- Basic high voltage safety knowledge and comfortable working on 120 VDC, 20 ~ 30 kW systems
- Familiarity with linux, command line usage, git
- Proficient in Spanish
- Experience visualizing and analyzing data logs
- Knowledge of aircraft systems and manuals
- Independent and motivated, with an extremely strong work ethic; able to self-direct and manage time
- Extreme attention to detail and thoroughness
- Willingness to travel in foreign countries and spend several weeks working independently
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Part 61 pilot certificate is a plus
- $70,000–$105,000 per year base salary + $20,000–$25,000 anticipated additional cash compensation + equity. Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Salary ranges are subject to change.
- Employer-sponsored health, dental and vision insurance, FSA with employer matching, and 401(k)
- Paid time off, company holidays, and parental leave
- Free catered lunch and plenty of snacks
Export Control Requirements
This position requires access to technology, software and other information that is subject to governmental access control restrictions, due to export controls. Employment in this position is conditioned on the continued availability of government authorization to authorize release of such items, to the extent required, including without limitation an export license, or other documentation required to establish authorization to receive access to such items.
Company may delay commencement of employment, rescind an offer of employment, terminate employment, and/or may modify job responsibilities, compensation, benefits, and/or access to Company facilities and information systems, as Company deems appropriate, in order to ensure compliance with applicable government access control restrictions.
We do not work with external recruiters; if you are an external recruiter, please do not reach out.