Posted on 3/9/2023
West Athens, CA, USA
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- 1+ years of professional or internship experience with mechanical projects
- 3+ years of professional or internship experience with mechanical-related projects such as Formula SAE, Baja SAE, rocket club, CubeSat, Design Build Fly, etc
- Solid understanding of common tooling materials/practices, drafting, GD&T, and tolerance stack up analysis
- Prior experience applying common manufacturing processes to designs (such as welding, machining, assembly, and inspection)
- Experience with custom machine design; electromechanical systems, motors, actuators, linear rails, bearings, lifting/rigging, etc
- Strong expertise in design for manufacturability and design for assembly including experience taking products from development design to production
- Extensive hands-on experience with common manufacturing processes including mills, lathes, manual and CNC, welders etc
- Experience with NX (Unigraphics) and Teamcenter PLM systems
- Experience performing structural analysis in FEMAP, NASTRAN, ANSYS or NX Advance Simulation
- Experience designing production rate focused tooling for large aerospace structures
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate robust poka-yoke methodologies to improve safety and reliability
- Experience with manufacturing process development, facility/line layouts and common quality tools (PFMEA, 5 Whys, etc)
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here
- Design and develop production tooling for SpaceX's Falcon and Dragon program
- Demonstrate extreme ownership of projects through their entire lifecycle, from initial concept generation through fabrication and production implementation
- Balance simultaneous projects of varying scope and complexity in a fast-paced environment
- Liaise with various engineering and production teams to drive design for manufacturing
- Use your well-rounded technical knowledge to display proficiency in basic structural sizing, mechanisms, and design while making development decisions based on cost and schedule considerations
- Hone your organizational skills as you coordinate with internal SpaceX resources and external vendors to align with project schedule. Build and maintain relationships with suppliers to ensure costs and quality are well managed
Designs, manufactures, & launches rockets and spacecrafts
SpaceX's mission is to make humanity multiplanetary. The company is working on a next generation of fully reusable launch vehicles that will be the most powerful ever built, capable of carrying humans to Mars and other destinations in the solar system.
- Benefits and Perks - Our employees’ well-being is important to us and essential to our capacity to do extraordinary things. We offer a wide variety of programs to support the health, wellness, and financial security of our employees and their families.
Company Core Values
- Make History - SpaceX has gained worldwide attention for a series of historic milestones. It is the only private company capable of returning a spacecraft from low-Earth orbit, and in 2012 our Dragon spacecraft became the first commercial spacecraft to deliver cargo to and from the International Space Station. And in 2020, SpaceX became the first private company to take humans there as well.
- Reusability - SpaceX believes a fully and rapidly reusable rocket is the pivotal breakthrough needed to substantially reduce the cost of space access. The majority of the launch cost comes from building the rocket, which historically has flown only once.
- Landing - SpaceX’s family of Falcon launch vehicles are the first and only orbital class rockets capable of reflight. Depending on the performance required for the mission, Falcon lands on one of our autonomous spaceport droneships out on the ocean or one of our landing zones near our launch pads.